Saturday, August 28, 2010

Taking the Plunge

Starting a blog feels a bit like when I was a kid and would stand at the end of the high diving board staring down at the water below me. Fear and anticipation mixed in a way that left my stomach feeling queasy and my heart racing. The longer I stood looking down the more intense those feelings got. Some days the feelings won out and I would turn around, walk the length of the diving board and climb back down the ladder in a moment of childhood shame. Other days I would conquer my fear and take the plunge, realizing after the fact that it wasn't so bad after all. Well, except for the times I didn't land quite right and water would go rushing up my nose, creating a chain reaction of coughing, gagging and tears that, by comparison, made any previous retreats from the diving board look like outright acts of courage.

So, here I am, standing on the edge of the blogging world with that same uneasy feeling. Will I make a successful attempt at getting my thoughts written out for others to read? Will I hit the publish button, only to realize a week later that my post was riddled with misspellings and/or grammatical errors. Its or it's. Their or there. Lay or lie (my personal nemesis by the way!). Will I have anything to say that would keep a reader coming back? Which leads to another question. How does one go about getting a reader?

So here I am, stepping out to the edge of the blogging world and my comfort zone, ready to take the plunge.





4 comments:

  1. Welcome into the water! Getting the first reader is the hardest. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure why anyone reads my blog. I suspect it may just be a result of my enthusiasm for commenting...and falling in with a good crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm almost as excited as Rebekah!!! Welcome! The water is just fine! I regularly question why I blog and if I should continue, but then I stop thinking about it and just do it! Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should have talked longer the other day! You kept this a secret! I look forward to "keeping in touch" through this new avenue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! This is exciting. Do you know how to post pictures...pictures are an essential.

    ReplyDelete