Thursday, September 2, 2010

Home Grown

The tomatoes in my garden are slowly starting to ripen. Over the past several days I have picked the ones that looked ready, placed them on the counter, and then totally ignored them. That is until yesterday morning, when, sipping my early morning tea (as opposed to my late morning or mid-afternoon cuppa) I was somewhat alarmed to glance over and be greeted by this. Clearly action needed to be taken.

It was definitely time to pull out some cookbooks. Due to the fact that I have a weakness for collecting cookbooks it wasn't hard to find some that I thought might have the answer to my tomato proliferation problem.




I spent a happy half hour perusing the pages, but in the end didn't feel like I had happened upon exactly what I was looking for. My qualifications for a perfect recipe?
-obviously it needed to strongly feature tomatoes
-it needed to call for other items I had in my garden

-if it was going to include meat it had to be something I already had in my freezer

-it had to be fairly easy as I was having a low energy cooking day

My next resource was Google, where I came up with http://www.twosisterstwosuppers.com/2010/08/thyme-roasted-sausage-and-heirloom.html. I immediately took some locally made sausage I had purchased earlier in the week out of the freezer, then headed out to the garden to harvest the required herbs.




Here is where the recipe got rather annoying. As I came back into the house grasping a handful of parsley, rosemary and thyme the song Scarborough Fair started going through my head and I couldn't get it back out for the rest of the day. Those of you that are my age or older (that would be above 49) will know exactly what I am talking about. For those of you too young to have a clue this is what I am referring to.





It couldn't have been easier to put together. I cut the sausage into bite size pieces, halved the tomatoes, added the herbs and whole unpeeled garlic cloves (I left them roast in the pan, then squeezed the garlicky goodness out and mixed in just before serving), added a few glugs of olive oil and stirred. Then I popped the roasting pan in the oven for an hour at 300F. Ten minutes before it was done I cooked some linguine. Just before serving I topped it with fresh Parmesan and basil.


An hour later we enjoyed the first of our 2010 garden tomato dinners.


Here are a few shots of what awaits us in the garden. Clearly this won't be our last tomato supper!

3 comments:

  1. That looks really good. We've been eating a lot of caprese salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! Fresh tomatoes are one of the best things about summer. I was lazy this year and didn't plant a garden. Thankfully my father-in-law planted too much.

    ReplyDelete