Saturday, October 30, 2010

New Addition

Prior to this week my place at the kitchen table looked like this. And yes, we really do have assigned seating here at the Hammond house! In a family with five children the number of permutations open seating allows is roughly equivalent to the number of arguments you will be subjected to. My survival strategy was to assign a permanent place at the table and in the van for each child. Now that they are all grown up the whole thing has, quite predictably, fallen apart. Not only has it fallen apart, two daughters-in-law have been added, so at holidays and family get-togethers we now have even more players for our version of Hammond musical chairs. Perhaps saddest of all is the fact that on more than one occasion I have witnessed my oldest son and his wife squabble over who called shotgun first when we have been heading out to go somewhere in our van. I digress. What I really want you to take note of is the computer in this picture.

You no doubt remember this computer since I blogged about its unfortunate accident a couple of weeks ago. While I was waiting to hear the prognosis I was formulating a backup plan in case the news was not good, and those plans did not include buying another PC. For over a year I have been thinking about switching to a Mac, and had decided this would be the time to do it. The only glitch in this plan was the fact my computer doctor was able to fix my PC. I kept telling myself this was good news. Over and over again, especially after each of my trips to the local Mac store to get more info. Here is a word of warning. Unless you fully intend to purchase a Mac do not enter the store, not even once. Because if you do, you will go back. Multiple times. Until this happens.



Meet my new MacBook Pro. We are just starting to get acquainted, but I have to tell you this computer is actually fun. In the past computers and I have had an uneasy relationship. I like being able to do things on them like read news headlines, blogs, check email and keep up with Ravelry (it has been referred to as Facebook for knitters and has almost a million users). However, I have never liked finding out more than the minimum required to be able to do those things. Computers and technology tend to give me a queasy feeling that starts in my toes and works its way up to the top of my head until it feels like I might explode. Enter the Mac. You can see from all the sticky notes and my little blue notebook that I have been hard at work figuring this new computer out. The surprise is that I am doing more than just the basics- I am working at really getting to know my new table companion. There are still times when I think my head might explode, but that's why my knitting is next to the computer. I just pick it up and knit a few rows, then I'm ready to dive back into another online tutorial. Hopefully I will have the basics down by Monday, which happens to be November 1. That is the start date for NaNoWriMo and in a moment of insanity I signed up. 30 days=50,000 words=1 novel. So far I have roughly 200 words mapped out, which leaves a mere 49,800 to go. I think my head might explode after all.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new addition to your family! All the best as you get acquainted with each other!

    I'm so excited for your NaNoWriMo challenge, too! This year seems to be THE YEAR for a lot of my friends, but alas, I've decided I won't be a part of it this time around. Must maintain my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got an iMac two years ago and will never go back. Welcome to the Mac family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.


    Don't let the writing project stress you to the point you start channeling Jack Nickolson. =)

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Mac, bought just before we moved to our new, bright, mostly passive solar and therefore very sunny house. I would have gotten a PC but was unable to find anything other than the MacBook Pro with a non-glare screen. I love it! So happy the others were not compatible with my new living space, as this one is much more compatible with the way my brain functions!

    Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the positive spin in your comment!

    I didn't give my parents any trouble, but I did annoy them on occasion in elementary school with what I thought were legitimate questions--such as how do we know if we see colors the same way? You're trained to call the color of grass "green" and I'm trained to call the color of grass "green". But the color my brain actually sees might be what you would call "red". We would never know, because we both call it green.

    Maybe that's why some people wear such interesting color combinations! =)

    ReplyDelete