Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pumpkin Patch Post

As October draws to a close it seems fitting to pay tribute to that most deserving of fall vegetables, the pumpkin. After the trauma surrounding my garden's last ditch effort to bury me alive in tomatoes, it was a relief to have my harvest turn from red to orange. I am seriously thinking about starting up a Facebook page advocating carving up those hideously shaped end of season beefsteak tomatoes into jack-o'-lanterns instead of the beautiful brilliant orange pumpkins that currently serve that purpose. I have a lot of respect for the humble pumpkin. Not only is it great to eat in many different foods, it also lets you know well in advance just how many of them will be showing up in your kitchen come harvest time, unlike some other vegetables I could mention. So as my way of saying thanks to this considerate resident of my garden, here is a picture parade of my pumpkins, some edible and some not.

Here are some of my wee pie pumpkins almost ready to be picked, followed by handknit pumpkin socks in the pumpkin patch. Seriously, if you look closely you will see the pumpkin design running along the side of the sock!




Add the right spices along with some sugar, eggs, oil and spelt flour and you have pumpkin bread- perfect with a cup of tea!




Pumpkin fingerless mitts are just right for cool autumn days.


Not wanting to be wasteful, even the pumpkin seeds were saved and toasted in the oven.


Of course you knew there had to be tea!



And saving the best for last, we have my personal favorite, the knock-off Starbucks pumpkin scones. Definitely worth the effort, and so much better than the ones you can buy!


4 comments:

  1. All across North America, people are now running to their kitchens to whip up some pumpkin scones! At least in my house anyways. And so, for the spelt flour - do you use it in the same proportion as wheat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used half light spelt flour (available at Nature's Fare) and half unbleached white. It worked out fine. Next time I might get really brave and try 100% spelt. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, tomatoes are the eccentric relatives that we're thrilled to see at first, but the welcome starts to wear out a little. Pumpkin are the relatives who never stay long enough. Like you, I'm a fan of the pumpkin. I just wrote to someone this week about how much I enjoy pumpkin pie, bread, seeds and the mighty jack-o-lantern. Sadly, baking from scratch is a skill that's yet to be developed at our house. Pillsbury makes a wonderful pumpkin bread mix, but it can't compare to homemade.

    PS - I really like the socks and mitts! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm, so good. I've yet to try the scone recipe, but it's on my list of things to do.

    Did I tell you we made home made perogies last week?

    ReplyDelete