Thursday, December 23, 2010

Five Ingredients, Two Mistakes, One Engagement

The holiday season is about to go into full swing here at North of 49. Our celebrations don't really start until the 27th, which is the day my brother, sister-in-law and two nieces arrive. The next day Karsten and Diana arrive, and a day or two later we will hit an even dozen when my future son-in-law arrives. Yes, you read that right......


Rebekah and Anton are officially engaged! The first part of the story is here on Rebekah's blog, and the second part is here. Several interesting facts are revealed in her posts. One is that she is going to have what might possibly be the biggest engagement ring ever, so big in fact that it will have to be worn around her neck instead of on her finger. Another is there are a few things about communication they forgot to teach in the journalism program she just completed.


Rebekah and Anton
Christmas 2009
Anton and Rebekah
Korea 2010


Now on to the Christmas baking which, by the way, is where the "two mistakes" part of my blog title comes into play. It was not referring to Rebekah and Anton's engagement! 


Rebekah had some friends over on Sunday afternoon to make Christmas goodies.One of the things they made were these amazing chocolate concoctions. As soon as I ate one I knew I had to make some for our family for the holidays. I thought I would share the recipe here. If you want something fast, easy and delicious these are what you are looking for. 

Chocolate Mistakes

1 package chocolate chips
1 package butterscotch chips
1 package peanut butter chips
2 cups chopped unsalted peanuts
2 cups crushed potato chips

Melt the chips in a double boiler. Remove from heat and stir in the ground peanuts and crushed potato chips. Spoon into mini baking cups and chill until firm. 

Now, the only difficult part about this should be trying not to eat the whole batch in one day. After all, there are only 5 ingredients. How could anyone mess this up? Well, apparently quite easily. First of all, we didn't buy any peanut butter chips. Oh well, I just added extra butterscotch chips and chocolate chips and stirred in a bit of peanut butter. Close enough. The next mistake was not so easily fixed. Even though I had purchased the potato chips I forgot to put them in. I didn't notice this lapse until the chocolates had hardened in their little paper cups, making it impossible to rectify my mistake. The good news is they taste good anyway. The bad news is I need to be capable of feeding a dozen people a day breakfast, lunch and dinner next week and if this is any indication of my skill level we are all going to come out of Christmas 2010 weighing a lot less than we went in. 



Given my difficulties performing the simplest of tasks, I think I had better focus on guests over the course of the next week. I will be back to North of 49 the first week of January. Merry Christmas, and thanks for reading my eclectic ramblings!


5 comments:

  1. Haha, oh Kristie! You're an intuitive, inspired chef. You don't need to be limited by a recipe. The chocolates turned out great and so will your upcoming holiday creations.

    Our Christmas baking has been rescheduled and renamed--New Year's baking. We're both under the weather at the moment and people get uncomfortable when a sick person gives them a gift of home-baked goods.

    Anton is a lucky man, Bekah is terrific.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Christmas to you too!
    thanks for the comment in my blog,
    congratulations on your daughter's engagement!
    enjoy the rest of the holidays,
    regards
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mery Christmas to you too!
    Thanks for stopping by :-)
    Those concoctions sounds yummie, too bad you can't get those chips over here... this year was the first time I managed to get chocolate chips... If things go like this in a few decades we might be able to bake this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the family is at full strength now and all having a great time together.

    I recovered more quickly than my wife, thanks to Zicam spray. It was unpleasant, but I'm happy with the results.

    PS - I'm glad you made it out of the carwash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again! I have not been back to Korea. It used to be a huge desire of mine but now, I'm not sure. Maybe someday I'll have a renewed interest in getting back to my roots =)

    I'm glad you had a good time there!

    ReplyDelete