Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bits and Pieces

Today is the first day of spring which means yesterday was the last day of winter. My parting words to the season just past are "good riddance." For weeks I have had to endure the torment of people from more southerly locales posting pictures of snowdrops, crocus and other signs of spring. Green here in Kamloops remains elusive other than the 24 hour burst we got on St. Patrick's Day. So today I decided to go out and look for something, anything, that might point to a change of seasons. These might not be quite as beautiful as purple and yellow crocus poking out of the earth, or grass that is slowly changing from dull brown to a vibrant green, but hey, I'll take whatever I can get.

These were spotted in a yard nearby. May they rest in peace.


Even more hopeful than the the dead Santa and Rudolph, which I fear might still be making an appearance in that yard when we switch from spring to summer, is this: our local outdoor hockey rink devoid of ice.


In other bits and pieces here at North of 49 I have something to say that will probably shock most of my readers. Until two weeks ago I had no clue who Charlie Sheen was. Seriously. I had a vague idea that he might be an actor and that was the extent of my knowledge. I rarely watch television and have never been interested in stories about people in the entertainment industry.

I did, however, know who Rob Bell was before he became a media celebrity of sorts. I'm not sure what these two things say about me other than that I am an outlier. An outlier is a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system. In other words an oddball.

And finally, a couple days ago when I checked my answering machine I had two messages. One was a reminder that if I wanted to order compost manure from the local group selling it as a fundraiser I needed to get my order in now. There are numerous humorous things I could say about that particular message. I am choosing to show restraint.

The other message was from the library. They were phoning to let me know they have rescheduled Emma Donoghue to come speak on March 30. That would be the same Emma Donoghue whose book I gave away last month. The irony of those two messages being on my answering machine together was not lost on me.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry your neighbor is in poor health and unable to remove the expired decorations. I wish him a quick recovery--for his sake and yours.

    Does the hockey rink double as a basketball court during the summer?

    I wish I hadn't heard of Charlie Sheen. I've seen his show and it routinely crosses the line between funny and crude/inappropriate. I don't know how it could be popular. I have heard of Rob Bell as well. I don't have any experience with evagelical teachings, but my wife attended an evangelical church every summer while visiting family in Tennessee. She said there was lots of yelling and threats about eternal damnation. Bell is pretty far removed from that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ric - Um....this is Canada. In the summer the ice hockey rink gets converted to a floor hockey rink. What's basketball? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I guess that explains the Grizzlies' move. But if I were a player, I'd much rather be based in Vancouver vs. Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I have winter. Tomorrow there might be spring, or winter, or whatever. There is no way of knowing, you just have to accept it.

    ReplyDelete