Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cure

After my last post about losing a follower, it was very nice to see the gap has been filled by a new follower.  Welcome!

I am greatly relieved to be able to say with 97% certainty that Rebekah and Anton are going to cancel their trip to Japan. They were set to go three weeks from now, but as events have unfolded cooler heads have prevailed (that would be Anton's head, not my daughter's) and they will be looking into getting their tickets refunded.

I had not realized just how stressed out I was about their upcoming trip to Japan until I got the official word that they were cancelling. People react to stress in different ways. Some sleep, some eat, some drink. Not me. I bake cookies.

I don't bake just any old cookies either. It has to be chocolate chip cookies. They are a very versatile cookie in that not only do I bake them when I am stressed, I also bake them when I am happy. In this case I was baking them because I was happy not to be stressed. There seems to be no shortage of stress in people's lives, so I thought I would do what I could to help. Here is my chocolate chip cookie recipe, which comes with my personal guarantee of being the best ever.

2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
6 oz. package chocolate chips

Cream the butter and sugars. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat some more. Then add in flour, salt and baking soda. I use part spelt flour just so I can tell myself they are healthy. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips.

Bake @ 375F for 8 - 10 minutes. Less time is better if you want a perfectly chewy cookie.

As far as the chocolate chips go I totally ignore the instructions. I have a huge bag of chocolate chips from Costco and just dump in enough to make sure that each cookie will be loaded. I am quite sure it ends up being way more than the 6 oz. the recipe calls for. I attribute my generosity with the chocolate chips to the deprivation I suffered as a child.

My mom, normally both a good cook and a generous person, somehow suffered a personality change when she baked chocolate chip cookies. She would consistently double all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips, which she halved. Once when my brother was attending university he and some of his fraternity brothers stopped by my parents' home for a visit. Mom had just baked a batch of cookies and offered them to the guests. My brother quickly spoke up and said there would be a prize for anyone who found a chocolate chip in their cookie. True story.


Knitting is the other stress reliever in my life, so what could be more perfect than the two together? This sock in progress is Fresh Breeze (Ravelry link), based on a traditional Danish design.


It is from the book Around the World in Knitted Socks. My goal is to knit every pair of socks in this book. I think my excesses in the chocolate chip department might be spilling over into my knitting!

16 comments:

  1. Well I could definitely use a cookie today!!

    Love your socks in progress, impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking cookies there! Who doesn't love a good chewy chocolate chip cookie? Sometimes I throw raisins in, which doesn't always earn me a lot of respect. But I like raisins AND chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like a great recipe--extra chips and no nuts. I like nuts, but my favorite chocolate chip cookies don't have them. I'm going to copy and paste this recipe. I think I might be able to do this one. =)

    I'm both sorry and glad the trip is cancelled.

    PS - That's too funny about the chocolate chip hunt. I hope your mom wasn't offended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous socks! I am also relieved to hear R & A cancelled their trip. Maybe your mom doesn't like chocolate chips that much? I much prefer the cookie part to the chocolate part and don't put in that many chocolate chips either, weird I know...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kate - If you were here I would definitely offer you a cookie! And note that it is a sock, as in singular, in progress. At the rate I am going it will take a year to finish the first one, never mind the second. :-)

    @Aneta - I hate to sound harsh but the thought of putting raisins in my beloved chocolate chip cookies sounds blasphemous.

    @Ric - The original recipe called for nuts but I axed those long ago. We are in agreement- they don't belong in chocolate chip cookies! And I think my mom deserved to be offended. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jennifer - Thanks for the compliment on the socks. There is still a lot of work to be done before they are finished. That is only sock #1. To be honest I think my mom was just being cheap. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see that you aren't one of those stingy people who refuse to share a good recipe. Maybe Hannah will make these while she's home this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've copied your cookie recipe for my arsenal. I'm all about overdoing chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate chip cookies, sans nuts, are the best. Ever. Sometimes I add dried cherries in there - sort of a sweet, tart kinda thing.

    But no nuts. Ever. Not in brownies either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Maureen - If Hannah makes them you might want her to double the recipe (including the amount of chocolate chips!). They don't last very long!

    @mutantsupermodle - I hope you enjoy the cookies. I agree that the chocolate chips are what count. The cookie dough is just a binder to hold the chocolate chips together. :-)

    @Voie de Vie - Mmmm! Dried cherries sound like they would be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cookies sound great and the socks are so beautiful.
    I baked today (which I don't do that often) - the day sort of called for some home baked comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Harpa - Thanks! There are definitely some days that call out for home baked comfort. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made your cookies this weekend. I was sort of at a loss because I couldn't figure out how to measure 2/3 cups of butter so I sort of went with 1 stick plus 5 Tbsp. They came out very very delicious. They were a huge hit with my little ones who helped make them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I should add I put the two year old in charge of adding the chocolate chips so there was absolutely an overdose of chocolate. I'm clever that way. Can't get mad at a two year old's chocolate chip adding abilities right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @mutantsupermodel - I am so glad you liked the cookies, and putting a two year old in charge of the chocolate chips was a brilliant move!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good timing. I was just about to text you because I didn't have the recipe and wanted to make them today.

    ReplyDelete