Saturday, March 5, 2011

Holy Crap, It's Time For Breakfast!

It might be the most important meal of the day, but it is also the one I have the least enthusiasm for. It isn't that I don't want to eat breakfast. The problem is I don't want to make breakfast. As a consequence I find myself falling into the rut of making the same things over and over. Saying I make the same "things" over and over makes it sound like the menu is full of items. The reality is there is a paltry total of two items in my morning rotation.

First up is oatmeal. Of course, this being me, and me being slightly quirky, even a hot bowl of cereal ends up not being straightforward. No little packets of instant stuff you dump boiling water over and stir until the chemicals ingredients dissolve. I rotate between using organic large flake oats and rolling my own oats. Yes, you read that right. It is possible to roll your own oats, and the resulting flavour makes it well worth the bit of extra time it takes.


You simply dump the oat groats in the top of the grinder and turn the crank.


 

The bottom bin fills up with fresh rolled oats.


Keeping with the quirky theme I add a couple spoonfuls of hemp hearts. 


My brother has made the tongue-in-cheek observation that Canadians can find more ways to use cannabis than anyone else. To clear up any misconceptions about the ability of this breakfast condiment to add anything other than nutrition to my day here is what the Canada Hemp Foods site has to say about  consuming this product.

What is the difference between Hemp and Marijuana?

Hemp and Marijuana are both in the Cannabis family, but hemp seed does not contain the psychoactive compound, Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), that Marijuana does. Hemp is grown for industrial purposes; food, fiber and fuel. This is why hemp is legal and marijuana is not. It is similiar to the difference in poppies that are grown to make opium narcotic and the poppys that are grown for the poppy seeds that are used in food products like bagels.

So, now that we have cleared that up I will just add some home dried cranberries and Canadian maple syrup, stir, and enjoy a perfectly legal breakfast.

The other item in my morning line-up is yogurt. Of course, not just any yogurt. If you recall from this previous post, I make my own yogurt. Since that post I have discovered a great source for yogurt cultures and now make my own Bulgarian yogurt, using part whole milk and part cereal cream (half and half for my American readers).


I start by stirring in some homemade blackberry/raspberry jam.


What comes next makes referring to myself as quirky the observational equivalent of the captain of the Titanic saying to his crew and passengers they were just going to stop off the coast of Newfoundland for a wee bit. I am sure you must be thinking, "Holy Crap, what next?" Good question.


This blurb is from the company's website:
the world’s most amazing breakfast cereal

Holy Crap is super packed with Omega-3s, Omega-6s, protein, calcium, iron, zinc, fibre and antioxidants. Our three main ingredients are some of the oldest perfect foods known to man. Our key ingredient, Chia or Salvia Hispanica L. is a recently revived oil seed crop from the America’s that was once more valuable than gold to the Aztecs. Used by the Tarahumara Indians, the greatest long distance runners on the planet, our Chia has had a long history as a slow burning rocket fuel for both athletes and warriors alike.

The ingredients include organic chia, cannabis hulled hemp hearts, organic buckwheat, organic cranberries, organic raisins, apple bits, and organic cinnamon.

Let's see what's in the bag.


It might not be the breakfast of champions, but I think it qualifies as a breakfast for weirdos.


Holy Crap.

12 comments:

  1. Holy Crap! I want some of that stuff. Can you get it at Nature's Fare? I was going to ask you if you still order hemp hearts from Alberta, but I see you have a different product there. I have to replenish soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The odds are against me rolling oats, but I want to try Holy Crap...that looks really good. During the week breakfast could be almost anything--instant oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, leftover pizza, a muffin, or nothing. But on weekends I like to have eggs w/toast or french toast. My wife doesn't like breakfast at all, so if we go out for breakfast we make it brunch instead so she can get a non-breakfast item.

    Is Tylenol w/codeine still available OTC in Canada? My dad used to have a friend send that to him for use on headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, now I'm drooling over your oat roller. But we go through so many rolled oats that I wonder if a manual one is the way to go. And I need to see your yogurt maker too. A cup of tea at your house is in order soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Aneta- Yes, I got the Holy Crap cereal at Nature's Fare. A word of warning though. It was a little pricey.

    @Ric- I agree with you on leftover pizza for breakfast. Homemade pizza of course. :-) Leftover pie is my all time favourite breakfast item. And yes, the Tylenol w/codeine is still available.

    @Maureen- If you use a lot of rolled oats I think you would want an electric one. It would be a fair amount of work to roll enough for something like a batch of cookies, or even enough oatmeal to feed more than a couple of people. A cup of tea would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo leftover pie sounds wonderful. =)

    I don't remember being angry at my dad about the trucks. I guess I must have been. I think I was more hurt than anything. My parents never admitted it, but I think they didn't like who the gift was from. That aunt had been my mom's best friend, so I was sent to stay with her when I was born (my mom was ill). But 6 months later when she refused to give me back, bad blood developed. They stopped speaking and I didn't meet that aunt until I was 14. But she and my grandmother conspired a few times to get things to me. One day my grandmother told me she had a used bicycle I could trade for. I offered my family's two tricycles in exchange. That was my first bike and I couldn't believe my luck. My sneaky grandma didn't tell me the truth about it until after my mom passed away. I should do a post about how I got my first bike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha.. what a name. I thought food in Taiwan is crazy, but holy crap, this is crazier :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do steel=cut oats every night in the rice cooker, with the timer, on the porridge cycle. It is wonderful to wake up at 7 am to oats, fresh and ready and both creamy and chewy. (I use 2/3 steel cut to 1/3 old fashioned rolled, and it is a great combination, good year round.)

    Barbara M/

    ReplyDelete
  8. @MKL - It was the crazy name that originally caught my eye in the store. It is a great marketing ploy!

    @Barbara - I have thought about trying this. How much water do you put in with the oats?

    ReplyDelete
  9. you got me researching and my Bosch has an attachment for flaking. So that is now on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait--we're supposed to eat different things for breakfast?

    But I like my poached egg in steel cut oatmeal for breakfast every day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Maureen - I covet your Bosch...

    @Kate - I think a spoonful of Holy Crap thrown into your egg/oatmeal combo would be worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Kristie..... I'm not too precise with the oats. A little more than 2 cups water, a little salt, 2/3 cups steel cut and about 1/3 cup of old fashioned rolled oats.... then stir, set timer and get up cheerful!

    We built a new house in rural NH for our retirement years, and the big splurge was a Swim-Ex, which is a treadmill for swimmers. That is, it's a small pool with a current to swim against. (It's a very long drive to the nearest fitness center/swimming pool.) I love it! So I swim for 1/2 hour every morning then come upstairs and enjoy my oatmeal.

    Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete