Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Power of Procrastination

It is amazing how much I can accomplish when I am avoiding an unwelcome task. I am not a procrastinator by nature, but the thing that will drive me to task avoidance every single time is paperwork. International adoption can do that to a person. And after three international adoptions I think it would be fair to say my well of paperwork tolerance is empty.

I consider paperwork to be so loathsome that it actually informs my vision of hell. This would be, of course, assuming there is a hell, but I think I will steer clear of that controversial topic. Forget fire and brimstone. Enter mounds of paperwork. Just when you complete the last form, the devil hands you another one. And another. And another.

While avoiding my latest paperwork nightmare I have managed to read several books, watch numerous documentaries on the internet, and finish all eight seasons of MI-5 (Spooks). I'm not too proud of that last item, but what can I say. Faced with the choice between paperwork or watching the BBC consistently kill off their main characters there really was no contest. Violence, terrorism and death was the easy winner.

There is one other item I have managed to complete while avoiding The Task. It is an example of how procrastination can prove to be a powerful ally. Otherwise dreaded jobs suddenly have an appeal they might not otherwise have possessed. You see, as much as I love to knit there are two things I don't like doing. One is knitting sleeves. I dislike sleeves so much that I actually have a sweater stuffed in a bag in my craft closet that I finished last year. Well, almost finished. It still needs the sleeves. The other thing I despise is sewing the knitted garment together once it has been knit. Which means even if I ever do get around to knitting those sleeves there's a very good chance they will never get attached to the sweater.

Last fall I started knitting a sweater for Alexandra. The yarn was beautiful and the pattern fun to work with. I finished the body and was faced with still needing to knit the dreaded sleeves plus a hood. If the sweater had been for me it might have joined the amputee sweater bag in the craft closet, but Alexandra really wanted this sweater. What kind of person commits to knitting something then doesn't finish it anyway? Um, well.....no comment.





I have run out of ways to put off the inevitable. It has come down to that armless sweater hiding in the closet or the one page letter of not more than 250 words that I have been avoiding for the past two weeks. What a choice. I think I'll just go have a quick look to see if season 9 of MI-5 has been released yet. 

14 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous hoodie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful sweater!! And thanks for the chuckle...I, too, procrastinate at times, but I'll tell you more about that later.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I've never seen MI-5 and now I'm a little afraid to check it out. I think I would become similarly addicted. 9 seasons!

    You may not enjoy knitting sleeves and assembling the component parts, but the sweater turned out beautifully--and your model is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sweater! That blue is superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the sweater on Rav, it is fabulous!!!

    Procrastination, my favourite past-time.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. @amelia - Thanks! I was really happy with how it turned out, and also relieved to finish it.

    @Aneta - Ha! I should have added Scrabble to my "ways to procrastinate" list.

    @Ric - If you have Netflix you can watch MI-5 through it. I'm serious about killing off the main characters though. I have noticed the British seem to enjoy disposing of them more than we do in North America.

    @knitsteve - Thanks for visiting my blog, and thanks for the compliment! The blue is even nicer in person. It is heathered so has lots of colours in it.

    @kate - Thanks! I almost think I should put your "procrastination, my favourite past-time" as my blog header. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so...did you buy season 5? I'm waiting (im)patiently for that from the library. I'm #1 on the list, but it seems to be taking a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you catch the 3 episode season of Sherlock Holmes? I loved the first episode, but wasn't crazy about the next two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we were first married and in graduate school, my husband could always tell when I had a paper due: the bathroom was clean, and the oven was scoured. Anything, even cleaning house, was better than dealing with writing a paper!

    Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Ric- Which Sherlock Holmes? I looked on Netflix but didn't see a 3 episode choice.

    @Barbara - That's funny! Once again, the power of procrastination shines!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one gorgeous hoodie...
    I wish I could tear myself away from the wheel and finish the sweater I promised for my dad... last Xmas. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Peony - Thanks! Sometimes I think it is better if we knitters refrain from making promises. :-) Maybe you could tell yourself you will spend just 20 minutes each day on the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sweater is beautiful. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Kate - Thank you! I used Cascade 220 heathers. I love that yarn!

    ReplyDelete