Sunday, June 26, 2011

Eggs For Dummies

I love early mornings. I especially love early mornings in the summer. It is light outside, the birds are chirping, and my garden looks fresh and filled with potential. I have a corner of one of my garden boxes dedicated to herbs, and this is where I headed first thing this morning.


Due to the fact that nobody else seems to appreciate my love of the early morning I was reduced to taking a self-photo. This was the only one that didn't make my arms look like the legs of an elephant. I'm not sure why self-photos do that to my arms.

I am not an egg lover. However, I know eggs are healthy and I am trying to incorporate more of them into my diet. One of the ways I have figured out I can swallow them is if I make them into an omelet. Omelets are a cinch to make. On our family scale of culinary difficulty these would qualify as being easy, meaning something even Anton and my brother John (they were the "brown team" for our Christmas cook-off) could make with minimal supervision.

Start with some free range eggs. I bought these yesterday at the Kamloops Farmer's Market. The only way they get any fresher than that is if you have the chickens in your own backyard!


Head to the garden and pick an assortment of herbs. Today's collection includes some basil, sage, oregano and chives.


Melt a small pat of butter over medium heat and add the herbs. Stir for a minute or two.


Whisk the eggs and then pour over the top of the herbs and butter.



Cook until the eggs firm up nicely. I then carefully flip the eggs over and cook on the other side. This step is only necessary if you are like me and the thought of consuming a "less than well done" egg gives you the same sort of queasy feeling you get when you watch your daughter-in-law eat jellyfish.


Add a bit of salt and pepper and sprinkle with cheese. I used Parmesan because that was what I had in the fridge, but any cheese will do. I should say any real cheese will do. If you have some of that fake rubbery stuff in you fridge save it for dog training treats. Or better yet, just throw it out.


Fold the omelet in half, eat and enjoy.


Just like I promised. Oeufs Pour Des Idiots. Good in both official languages.

18 comments:

  1. I have the opposite problem! I love my 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast every day so much but my doctor has told me 2 physicals in a row to cut my fat intake because my cholesterol is not where it should be (I traced the problem back to eggs and cheese). But this omelet looks delicious - and it's something I could make with egg substitute. Definitely keeping this in mind for the next time I have fresh herbs lying around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristie,

    I had difficulties posting on your blog. It keeps repeating to log on. I hope this works. Below,I wrote for other post. Also, I tried your onion recipe. It was great. Now, I can try this. Thank you.

    ----------------------------

    I appreciate this post. I searched for my old post about dachshunds to let you know, but couldn't find it. It turned out I misspelled the word. I corrected it. It’s in my redroom blog “a miniature dachshund puppy.”

    I used to spell dash hound! Nobody said anything. I wish someone let me know. I'm very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot the ketchup! But, yeah, this is my favorite breakfast too. Well cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get those eggs from Emma at the farmer's market? She delivers eggs every week right to my door, and they are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @bigmonkeypie - I think the omelet would work with egg substitute. As long as it has the fresh herbs for flavour it should be tasty!

    @keiko - I wonder why you couldn't post? Blogger has been acting up again, so maybe that is what was wrong. I am glad the onions turned out. Were you able to find the same kind? Some people pronounce Dachshund like you were spelling it, so you were just writing what you were hearing!

    @Maureen - The thought of putting ketchup on that omelet gives me the same sort of feeling I get when I see Diana eating jellyfish.

    @Aneta - I can't believe you recognized the eggs! :-) Yes, they are from Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, the blog ate my first post from earlier today apparently.

    We love eggs at our house. Our go to egg dish is scrambled eggs, with nothing added other than a touch of milk to the eggs and butter in the pan. No ketchup on the eggs for me and the boy, but husband likes ketchup on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @kate - Scrambled is the only other way I can eat eggs. But NO ketchup! Fresh herbs would work well in scrambled eggs too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! Your omelet looks delish! Have you ever eaten baked eggs? Their a favorite of mine. There are a lot of recipes available online for free if you do a Google search for "baked eggs", and once you have the technique mastered, you can add almost any combination of ingredients you like to them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Michelle - I haven't ever heard of baked eggs. I will definitely look them up. Who knows - maybe I will find another way I like eggs cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe some camera lenses produce sort of a fish-eye effect when your arm is so close to it on the self-photos??? What I know about photography is so limited that I sometimes can't even find the right button to push to take a picture.

    I like eggs (but no runny whites) and omeletes. Your easy recipe proves once again that our two families operate on completely different scales of culinary difficulty. My omeletes get a little milk mixed in (unless I'm in a hurry), some cheese and a healthy amount of black pepper. That's it. Once in a blue moon (or less often) I might add in something else. The first time I made omeletes was for my wife's family. They'd never had tried one. I made the mistake of mixing in shrimp--something else they'd never tried. They didn't like that meal at all. LOL! But I didn't like their bisquits and gravy, so we were even--except my future MIL couldn't accept that I didn't like it. She kept pushing it like she was working on commission. I finally played the gout card. When I was 14 a doctor told me I should avoid gravy (among other things) because I had high uric acid. So when my future MIL offered, I told her I couldn't--for medical reasons. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Ric - I think what happens is my arm is reaching around to get the picture and if the camera catches any of it it ends up looking huge. It is rather scary looking!

    I have never, not once, had biscuits and gravy. They sound gross so it doesn't surprise me you didn't like them. Isn't it annoying when someone insists you should like a food? That was quick thinking to pull the gout card!

    I didn't leave a comment on your remote post because I was too embarrassed to admit I don't know how to work our remote. Or our DVD player. Or our TV. I never use any of them, so don't have the need. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Question: What is that super cute fluffy purple flower looming behind the pretty lady in the first picture?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @mutantsupermodel - Those are my chive plants. I love looking at them when I go out to my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristie,

    I think the problem is that now I have to log in each time.

    About onions, I bought a package of sweet onion yesterday and a new bottle of balsamic vinegar and cooked. The first time, I cooked a regular yellow onion, but it was still good. Today, it turned out excellent. I took time, too. I used a sauce pan over stove, not in oven.

    On the photo, are the purple ponpon like flowers behind you onion or garlic?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I missed the message above. It's chive! I was close, well? They seem to belong to one family. I used to have some garlic plant, but it wasn't edible. If I start gardening again, definitely I'll plant herbs and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @keiko - The chives are a very easy thing to put in a garden, or even a small space somewhere in your yard. The nicest thing about them is they are the first thing that is ready to be harvested in the spring. Plus they are so pretty when they bloom! I think the flowers on garlic plants would be similar, but you aren't supposed to let them bloom if you want the garlic bulbs to develop fully, so I cut mine before they reach that stage. In an upcoming post I will be talking about what I do with the cut ends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Kristie. Today, I told the woman I met in the supermarket about your blog and onion recipe. Last week, I followed her order of fish at the meat department. She was excited about the onion recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to taste those delicious looking oeufs!

    ReplyDelete