Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Recipe to Cry Over

I have made a culinary discovery. Bags of these "new to me" onions appeared at our local Costco store last week and I decided to take a risk and buy some. They are called Cipollini onions, and am I ever glad I threw them in the shopping cart!


Twice this past week I have baked them in the oven with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The second time around I remembered to take some pictures so I could share this recipe with you. It is amazing that something that takes so little time to prepare could be so tasty!

Set your oven to 400F. Gather olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and an oven worthy pan. Stoneware works especially well.


Next comes the only hard part - peeling the onions. I won't lie. By the time you finish peeling those thin, papery outer skins you might need to add a box of Kleenex to your ingredient list. Trust me though, it will be worth the pain.


Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top then add a bit of sea salt. Give it a little stir and place in the oven.


Bake until onions start to caramalize, about 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, give the onions one more quick stir, and enjoy!


Tonight is the seventh and final game of the Stanley Cup. It is do or die for the Vancouver Canucks. I sure hope these onions are the only thing I have to cry over today!

GO CANUCKS!!!

9 comments:

  1. I am so sick over this game 7 that I don't know if I can watch. I was in Ottawa watching late at night for game 7 17 years ago. Don't know if I can handle the stress. I literally just about cried when Lou left the net in game 6 the other night. And I'm not one to get too wrapped up in these things. But seriously, the stress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kate. The stress is incredible. It brings back memories of my husband in net for the Spokane Flyers. I KNOW how the goalies feel. So it will be Monk on Netflix for me, with periodic check-ins downstairs and one ear tuned for indications of the right goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kate and Maureen - I agree with both of you! I will watch the game, but I am not going to enjoy it at all. The stakes are too high. Way too high!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wished I had read your post BEFORE I went to Costco today. I don't usually enjoy eating onions when they're not IN something, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! I almost stopped at Costco on the way home to pick some up, but was too tired. I'm having a hard time being creative with our vegetable servings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those onions are new to us too--and by us, I mean me and my wife. I didn't want you to think I'd started referring to myself as us.

    I'm so sorry about the Canucks. Only 3 months until training camp starts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Aneta - Hopefully they will still have them next week. But with Costco you never know...

    @Tana - Isn't it funny how much energy it takes to even think about shopping at Costco?

    @Ric - I strongly suspect Luongo has played his last game as a Canuck. What a disappointment. Thanks for your condolences. I sort of thought they might not win, but had hoped they might be able to pull it off. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristie,

    Those onions look yummy. I love onions even raw. Thank you for the great, simple recipe. This is the kind I like and remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @keiko - These onions would be especially good raw because they are both sweet and mild. I hope the recipe turns out for you if you make it!

    ReplyDelete