Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Simply the Best

These rolls are the best. These rolls are so good it is possible to eat the whole batch in one sitting. Not that I would ever do such a thing!

Start out by making your favourite recipe for dinner rolls. If you are pressed for time you can cheat and buy some of those frozen rolls from the grocery store. Just be sure to allow extra time for them to thaw. I made this honey whole wheat roll recipe in my bread machine:

1 cup warm water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup honey
1 large egg, beaten
2 cups white flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. yeast

Lightly grease a cast iron skillet. Form dough into rolls and place in skillet, leaving some room between each one. Cover and let rise in a warm place.


While the buns are rising go out to the garden and cut some fresh rosemary.


Chop up the rosemary into small bits. Melt some butter. Brush the butter on the tops of the rolls, then add the rosemary. Brush with some more butter (perhaps you are starting to see why these are so good). Finally, take a bit of sea salt and sprinkle on top. Trust me, you need to do this or they won't be right.


Bake at 400F for about 18 minutes. They should be golden brown on the top when you pull them out of the oven.


If you eat the whole pan in one sitting please don't blame me. Blame the Pioneer Woman.

9 comments:

  1. LOL, I have to admit I might do such a thing--depending on the size of the batch. Your rolls look great great with or without the special treatment. Now if I could just get the neighbors to plant rosemary... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ric - You don't need the neighbours. You should be able to buy some rosemary in the produce section of your local grocery store. And while you are there you can pick up some of the Rhodes frozen buns. I'm throwing it out as a challenge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Erika - They are! I think I could eat these every day of the week and not get tired of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Challenge accepted! Since the buns are frozen, I'll start with just a few so I don't set myself up for trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look awesome. A mouth watering photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ric - Let me know how they turn out. It takes quite awhile for those frozen rolls to thaw out completely - maybe a few hours, but then again given the heat you are having back there maybe not!

    @Aneta - They taste even better than they look. Guaranteed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh-oh... I am drooling now... which is not a good looking picture in the office :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, these look delicious!
    I'll be making them sometime in the near future :D


    <3,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete