Monday, August 22, 2011

Things That Go Bite In The Night

I have mentioned before how much I love the smell of sheets that have dried out on my clothesline. It is near the top of my frugal luxury list. Well, at least it was until Saturday night.

I noticed when I pulled the sheets off the line Saturday afternoon that the top sheet was draping down and touching the grass but didn't give it a second thought. I should have. In the middle of the night I was woken up by this intense itching on my big toe. Think of the itch factor from 20 mosquitoes concentrated into one bite and you will have a good idea of what it was like.

It kept me awake for over an hour, and while I scratched (and scratched and scratched) visions of those sheets touching the grass under my clothesline came to mind, quickly followed by visions of some of our resident arachnids.

My first instinct was to turn on the light, throw back the covers, and do a search. I wasn't sure this was going to be greeted with enthusiasm by Jay, so I refrained. The next day I did pull back the bedding and had a close inspection. I thought the worst thing that could happen would be to find a black widow or hobo spider residing between the sheets, but I was wrong. I have now come to the conclusion there was an even worse outcome. Finding nothing. Because that means that whatever got me is still there...


9 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I just wrote a post about itchy poison ivy. Bloggers who itch together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Maybe Jay got rid of it and didn't want to worry you with whatever it was--although not knowing is probably more worrisome. Never mind! I hope the culprit turns up or escapes the house.

    My daughter and I are mosquito magnets, but she is much more sensitive. After one girl scout sleepover in a little-used cabin, she ended up looking as if she had measles. My wife thinks they were caused by spider bites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. could be ants.. I've had that happen to me.. I'm sensitive to ant bite and ended up with a swollen arm after an ant bit me while I was asleep on the bed. the sheets were fresh ones dried in the sun on a clothesline. had to go to the ER to get a shot of Avil to reduce the swelling..

    ReplyDelete
  4. this reminds me of the joke: what's worse than finding a worm in your apple? finding half a worm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeek! That is worse than finding it, I hope the itching has gone down?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @LaurieM - I'll finish it. Bloggers that itch together suffer together. Your story sounded much, much worse than mine though!

    @Ric - I actually think I might have to break down and wash the sheets before their weekly date with the washing machine. And this time I will put them in the dryer.

    @knottygal - What kind of ants were they that bit you? They must have been quite nasty! We have little sugar ants around our house right now, but I don't know if they bite. I will have to Google it. perhaps you have found the answer to my mystery bed guest! :-)

    @lori - Great joke! :-)

    @Jaz - The itching has eased up but is not completely gone. Thankfully it is nothing like that first night though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All this post needed was some horror movie music, although I imagined that in my head, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you're a lot less itchy now. A mosquito got me a few nights ago and I'm still scratching. Your post could yet become an itch-along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Aneta - It is especially horrible because you have the same nasty spiders and insects at your house that I have at mine. So what got me could get you (cue the scary music). :-)

    @Annie - It has finally stopped itching, but it took days for it to stop completely. Hopefully you are recovered from your mosquito bites!

    ReplyDelete