Thursday, September 22, 2011

Heads Will Roll

Yesterday we spent the day with some really famous dead people. People like Sir Walter Raleigh, Charles Darwin, Rudyard Kipling and multiple kings and queens. In the morning we went to the Tower of London.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat then headed to Westminster Abbey. On our way we went by the Parliament buildings and the Clock Tower that houses Big Ben.

Westminster Abbey is huge. And old. And very, very impressive. It also made me realize as we sauntered by, or in some cases over, all these famous dead people that my grasp of British history is somewhat lacking. I need to do something about that when I get home.

Next up we took in an Evensong service at St. Martins-in-the-Fields, a beautiful Anglican Church near where we are staying. After dinner we were back to our theme of the day, which seemed to revolve around intrigue and death. We went to Phantom of the Opera. Strange story. Incredible music.

Yesterday's embarrassing moment happened at the Tube station. We have oyster cards - prepaid cards for the underground. You need to swipe them when you enter and exit the Tube. As we headed out I tried swiping mine but it wouldn't open the exit doors. I swiped and swiped and swiped. Then, in a moment of realization I looked down at the card and saw I was trying to exit the Tube with my room card.

Today for a change of pace we ate going to see a living queen. Well, maybe just her home. We are off to Buckingham Palace!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I need to go back! Do go to St. Paul's and do the whispering dome, it's amazing. Climb to the very top of the cathedral if you dare (my husband still gets vertigo thinking about it) for the view.

    Sounds like you are having a truly fabulous time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very envious of your trip, ma'am! But, I'm taking notes from your adventure so that when I make the hop across the pond, I'll have a good idea where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the travelogue. I tried to use my car door fob to open the house the other night. Glad to see I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh this all looks amazing! love the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristie,

    I'm envious of you. I wish I'm travelling there.
    At Westminster Abbey, I recall an inscription dedicated to Chaucer. I think he used to live there although I don't remember it was inside or outside. Somehow, I felt it significant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're taking awesome pictures! So glad things are going so well for you (well, except for the swiping card thing!);)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow, and wow! Such amazing places.

    Well, all cards are the same size. And it's good to know the two aren't interchangeable--it would be awful if an oyster card could open your door.

    ReplyDelete