Friday, September 30, 2011

A New Friend

We have arrived in Edinburgh. After the solitude of the Perthshire countryside it is strange to once again be surrounded by crowds of people and busy traffic. The double decker busses leave no doubt as to which country you are in.

We are staying in a lovely guest house by the water.

This was an important day - the day that fellow knitter and blogger Jean Miles and I finally got to meet in person! I think Jean had one scary moment when she phoned our guest house the night of our arrival, as we had previously arranged, only to be told there was nobody named Hammond staying here. I had completely forgotten that Kath had made the reservations for this leg of our journey. However, we managed to connect and arrange a meeting time and place. Our meeting spot should come as no surprise to anyone who knows us!

That yarn I am holding is 100% Scottish Shetland Wool. It just might be the most beautiful shade of blue I have ever seen. Any guesses as to what souvenir I am taking home from Scotland?

I was a little bit nervous about meeting Jean in person. You never know how this kind of thing will go. Maybe we would look at each other and run out of things to say after just a few minutes. I needn't have worried. We talked, laughed and shared stories of our lives for well over two hours. It was a special time spent with a very special person. Thank you Jean for taking the time to meet with us. And thank you for introducing us to the wonders of a glass of cider!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely to see a picture of 2 of my favourite knitters and bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks cozy, in every way :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're becoming the photographer, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first saw the title, I really thought the new friend was going to be some special ointment (for sore feet and muscles) sold in Scotland. It was nice to discover you meant an actual person. I'm glad you were able to connect so well with with Jean.

    Even I have heard of Shetland Wool. You selected a great souvenir. Like tea, it won't take up a lot of room in your bag (per item).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only repeat what's already been said ... how lovely to see a picture of two of my favourite knitting bloggers!

    ReplyDelete