Saturday, September 3, 2011

R&R

I promise a blog post about Rebekah and Anton's wedding will be coming soon. But for right now I want to skip ahead to the week following the wedding. The Hammonds (minus David, Karsten and Anton, who all had other commitments) went with my brother's family to San Juan Island.


This family time was a strange mixture of sadness and healing. Sad because until just two weeks previous the plan had been for my parents to be with us, and we were planning to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday while we were together on the island. The feeling of "what should have been" silently spoke to our time together.

The healing part, the part I will always look back on with thankfulness, was simply being together as a family. I think the pictures tell the story better than I ever could.

We hiked together:


We explored beaches together:


We whale watched together:


We had the opportunity to go out on a marine mammal research vessel together:


The fresh air and ocean swells appear to have taken their toll!


Perhaps most important of all, we shared some wonderful family meals together.

9 comments:

  1. San Juan Island is a perfect place to heal and hang out. Glad you had the time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming together as a family is always a great way to heal, and especially in such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a wonderful family time was had by you and yours! (I'm dropping by from Ravelry.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kate - I think San Juan Island is nice, but like Vancouver Island better. I would get claustrophobic living on a small island like San Juan. You are lucky to live where youndo!

    @Annie - Yes, family time is always important, but even more so in the midst of a difficult time.

    @bigmonkeypie - It was very beautiful, and the whale watching was an added bonus!

    @My Little Home and Garden - Thanks for stopping by my blog! Nice to have you visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pics! Looks like you had a great family time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Family time is so important--and that looks like a great spot to explore together. I've always wanted to visit San Juan--is it as windy as portrayed on reruns of the Flying Nun? (jk, that was the capital of Puerto Rico)

    MKL is right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a lovely trip :) Whale watching is lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete