Friday, November 4, 2011

Dirty Books and Clean Sweaters

Fall is at its peak right now. The days are cold and crisp, the leaves that are left dangling on the trees and bushes are deep shades of red and orange, and the sky is a brilliant blue. There are two frugal luxuries that I especially love at this time of the year - flannel sheets and new hand knitted items.

There is nothing that says comfort more than crawling into soft, clean, warm flannel sheets with a good book. So imagine my surprise when, last week, I was at Starbucks having tea with a couple of friends and discovered that not everyone shared my enthusiasm. When the subject of reading in bed came up Friend #1 looked at Friend #2 and I and said, "You read in bed?"

Friend #@ and I were totally surprised and exclaimed in unison, "You don't?"

Wow. Just when you think you know someone you find out some shocking fact. I had no idea that there were people who didn't read when they went to bed. Well, not any people over the age of five. Okay, and maybe not newlyweds. But really, this was a paradigm shift for me.

Which brings me to this disturbing footnote. According to this news report from the CBC bed bugs have been found in library books in Vancouver. How gross is that? Apparently not everyone appreciates crawling into clean sheets at night with their books, and the bed bugs are making their way under the wrong covers.

Moving on to the knitting category of fall frugal luxuries I have a new sweater to wear. It is called Owl, and was designed by Scottish knitter Kate Davies. If you are a knitter and haven't visited her blog Needled, you have been missing out big time. Thanks to Alexandra, who makes a much nicer model than her mom.




My sweater will now be added to the parliament of Owls already posted on Ravelry.

20 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh I saw that sweater on pinterest and I want it so bad. Love it! My friend was over here knitting up a storm this afternoon, I think its time to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should probably tell your model to smile next time, she is looking a little grumpy :).
    I have been reading before bed every night this week. But I have to give myself a firm curfew or else time just slips away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Maureen - Thanks! It was a fun, quick knit.

    @Jennifer - You definitely should learn to knit! I told your mom I would teach M. next time she comes for a visit, so maybe you should sit in on the lessons.

    @Haelle - I did mention to her that she might want to smile. Clearly she ignored my advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, reading in bed is required for my night-time ritual so it is weird for me that someone might not ever do that. However, I could not bring myself to read the CBC news article when I saw it last week - too gross.

    That sweater is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait......not reading in bed??! i've never heard of such a thing either! i can imagine someone might not read in bed because it makes them fall asleep, but that's different from having an "ew, reading in bed?!" position. and bedbugs in the library books, that's scary. manhattan has been infested with bed bugs for the last few years, and i check out books from the library. good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't get not reading in bed, either! My problem is I read a lot of murder mysteries and then I can't sleep 'cause I'm trying to figure out whodunnit.

    Love your sweater! I made myself an owls at the beginning of the year and it's one of my favorite things I've ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great sweater, model and background. My wife reads in bed , but I do not--and I better not try to turn the light out until she's done. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @kate - I think you were smart to not read the article. I wish I hadn't. Thanks for the compliment on the sweater!

    @Lori - Reading in bed does make me fall asleep, but that doesn't stop me from doing it. If Manhattan has a problem with bed bugs my guess is they have infested your library books as well. Ew!

    @randipants - I like to read the occasional mystery too, but they can't be really scary or they will keep me awake. Do you have your sweater posted on Ravelry? I would love to see it!

    @Ric - I think you are a very good husband for not turning out the lights until your wife is done reading. And a smart one too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since having heard about the library bedbug infestation, borrowed audio books sound better to me all the time!
    It just makes me a bit leery of borrowing paper based books. Wonder if library patronage has decreased since the news came out?

    LOVE that sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Aneta - It sure makes a Kindle look like a good option. Did you see the TNRD Facebook page yesterday saying they were taking a proactive approach to any bed bug problems? I wonder exactly what a proactive approach would be???

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thinking of a kindle - more on the plus side, there, since I use a lot of library books. Lately, I have taken to listening to audio books or podcasts and setting a timer to turn off. It's like being read to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mary Lou - I love my Kindle. I would go through withdrawal if we were ever parted. :-)

    @terri - Thanks! I wore it yesterday for the first time and was very happy with it. Now I want to knit another one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job on the sweater. Re reading in bed, I don't and never have. But I do read for about an hour before going to bed. I can't get comfortable to read in bed. Maybe my glasses have something to do with that. Not quite cold enough here for flannel sheets but there is something very comfy about them when it is truly winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Charlotte - Thanks! I have worn my Owls lots already and winter hasn't even started. It just might turn out to be my favourite sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear that the library is saying 'keep your book, we don't want it if it's infested'. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Aneta - I haven't heard that. Do they mean keep any library books that are infested and don't return them, or don't donate books that are infested to the library?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What I heard re: Vancouver libraries is that if you find bedbugs in a borrowed library book,let the library know, but do NOT return it. So, maybe the same thing here?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, you've given me another reason to love my Kindle. ;)

    I keep saying that I'm going to knit Game Boy an owl hat. I really should get on that.

    ReplyDelete