Monday, November 21, 2011

Thoughts From 35,000 Feet

Our flight to Chicago left at 6:30 AM. I am a morning person but this was a little over the top, even for me. You see, In order to properly function I need to get up early enough to be able to have two cups of tea and collect my thoughts. (Those two acts are inseparable.) This resulted in me only getting half a night's sleep. I am only pointing this out so you won't judge me over this next bit.

We pulled onto the street, where, no surprise, we found ourselves to be the only vehicle on the road. There had been a lot of snow the day before and it was blowing up onto my windshield. I kept complaining to my mom about the lousy job the windshield wiper was doing on my side of the Subaru. It wasn't until we were out on the freeway, halfway to the airport, that I realized why it was doing such a bad job. There was no blade on the wiper arm! Unlike the street near my mom's, the freeway did have traffic on it. Traffic that was swooshing up snow and ice onto my windshield as it went by. When I got to the Park and Pay place I found the frozen wiper blade entombed in a chunk of ice at the bottom of the windshield. Hopefully the amputated car part can be reattached when we get back or it could be a sketchy drive home. Especially if it is raining.

Which brings me to the flight. I have decided that a new kind of screening needs to take place at airports around the world. There should be a scent detector that travelers are required to go through. If any obnoxious, overpowering deodorant, after shave, or perfume is detected an alarm will go off and that passenger will be required to step into the shower booth next to the screening device. This would greatly reduce acts of olfactory terrorism.

So while we were cruising at 35,000 feet I was thinking about my last blog post. About how it is easy in a small town to recognize the local "characters." They are universally known by everyone in the community. In a larger community I think the local flavour is provided more on a neighbourhood by neighbourhood basis. Which got me to thinking about my own neighbourhood, and who our local eccentric could be. It was not a good moment when I realized it was me.

We are now in Chicago, looking forward to our time with my brother and his family. It is too bad my oldest niece Corinne isn't here to share in the festivities with us though. That is the downside of choosing to attend university in Canada. However, there is always Skype, so we will at least get to let her watch us eat some turkey on Thursday. The good news about that is it won't even bother her. She's a vegetarian.

5 comments:

  1. yes YES to the screening for strong-smelling things! I'd like this more generally; so many people think they have to bathe in perfume (though in my experience, men and their cologne are usually worse). i get a migraine from it, so being stuck next to someone like that can ruin a couple days for me. why do people do that, ugh.

    happy thanksgiving -- enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother refers to it as "perfume set to stun" Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGoodness, the scent scanner is such a good idea. I had an awkward conversation about perfume with a former co-worker--the short version is she kept putting on more because she couldn't smell it...she thought it wore off.

    That's scary about the wiper blade, I'll keep my fingers crossed for no precipitation. In the meantime, I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving in Chicago.

    PS - Your neighbors are lucky if you're the local eccentric. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @lori - There are so many people like you who get sick when exposed to scents that I am surprised the airlines haven't made planes "scent free" zones. Happy Thanksgiving!

    @Mary Lou - I like that expression!

    @Ric - Did your former co-worker cut back on the scent after you talked to her?

    My brother took me to a parts store yesterday and I bought new wiper blades so I can drive home safely from the airport when we get back.

    And I am not sure my neighbours would agree with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She did not. She wanted to be able to smell it herself and was skeptical about it being overpowering to others. Oh, and she didn't talk to me on a personal level after that--we were strictly business. My senses were relieved.

    ReplyDelete