On the other hand, resolutions at any time of the year seem to end in failure for me, no matter how well-intentioned they may be. Examples would be my kettle bell workout program, switching from black to green tea, or my plans to "minimalize." (I do have to say the minimalizing resolution was somewhat successful in that I stuck with it for almost six months, the result of which is a house a little less stuffed with junk. Still, I made grandiose claims that I was going to keep at it for a year, so it still counts as a fail.)
Here is where I am headed at the beginning of 2012 - the hopes I have and the paths I want to explore.
- I would like to get even more words written in 2012 than I did in 2011. It would be a bonus if I could find a way for those words to generate an income.
- I would like to improve my photography skills.
- I want to keep moving forward with my Chinese language program.
- I hope to knit at least 6 of the sock patterns in Around the World in Knitted Socks.
- I want to learn at least one new knitting technique (Brioche? Double Knitting?).
- I really, really really want to travel overseas again this year.
Here's a look back at 2011. There was some knitting. (This might be an understatement, and I should confess that this is just a sample of my completed projects for 2011).
There was the perfect mix of travel and adventure.
There were friends, both old and new.
And most important of all, there was family.
It was a year of celebration, adventure, and joy, and for those things I am extremely thankful. It was also a year of deep, deep sorrow. I think it's time to move on...