Wednesday, January 25, 2012

No Redemption

Yesterday was one of those kind of days. The kind where you know early on that the day is headed south and there is no turning it around. I knew it was going to be "one of those" before 8:00 AM. Not good.

I will spare you the details. It wasn't like anything really awful happened. It was more like a chain reaction of annoying bits and unpleasant tasks, each thing adding to the awfulness of the thing before it. I think it really started the night before when I discovered I had made a mistake on the sock pattern I was knitting and had to rip out two and a half repeats of the complicated chart pattern because apparently not only can I not read Chinese, I can't read English either.

Clearly there won't be any pictures in today's post. In lieu of a picture I offer you the white space between this paragraph and the preceding one to show you where I am now on that particular sock.

I don't have these kind of days very often, but when I do I have learned to just accept them for what they are. Failures. Pretending they are okay doesn't work. It is sort of like cheating at solitaire. What's the point? I tend to just shrug my shoulders, which is hard given the fact they are drooping down with the weight of the world, and tell myself there is no redeeming the day. All there is to do is make it to bedtime, when I can cautiously crawl between my sheets knowing tomorrow I get a fresh start.

Notice I said "cautiously crawl." Because really, a day gone south isn't truly over until one wakes up the next morning. For instance, the day headed in the wrong direction could end something like this.

"Mom, are you awake?" asks the daughter who is a chef, just returned home from a night's cooking.

"Yes." This syllable is spoken with a certain amount of trepidation.

"Can you come look at this? I stabbed myself with a skewer at work and I think it is infected. It had meat on it."

Of course, this meant I had to get out of bed. Which meant the day wasn't over yet. As it turned out the stab wound was quite deep. Bits of the bamboo skewer were embedded in her arm and it was causing an allergic reaction. The good news is it doesn't appear to be infected, but it is probably too early to tell for sure.

I want to end this post on a positive note, so here is a cooking tip. Cream cheese icing heals all culinary wounds. Including gluten-free chocolate cupcakes that taste like the ingredient you substituted for the wheat was the dirt it was grown in.

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I hope tomorrow goes decidedly more North :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I know about bamboo skewers, or more accurately Bushboy does. Do keep an eye on it, his wound, which we thought was totally clean, ended up infected a week or so later with a piece of the tip still in it even though we had probed it twice.

    Hope today was less southern in direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warning about the bamboo skewer. It was in the garbage with bits of food still stuck on it from whatever customer had eaten from it. Ew...

      And today was much better. :-)

      Delete
  3. But does cream cheese icing cure days gone south? I suppose at least it makes them taste better ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cream cheese icing can cure almost anything. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh no, I hope the wound heals quickly.

    Those days are very annoying, I'm glad it didn't spill over into two. Most people I know wouldn't be sure it was one of those days by 8:00am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact I had the day figured out before 8:00 should be a hint as to how bad it was. :-)

      Delete
  5. I hope that today is starting better! I think you are right...when you see a day heading that direction, it's better not to fight it (and do as little as possible to decrease the chances that more can go wrong). I hope your daughter heals up quickly!

    Maybe some more cream cheese frosting should be made today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far Alexandra's accidental piercing looks like it is healing nicely. :-)

      And today is much better thanks. I would make more frosting but the awful cupcakes are now all consumed and I wouldn't have anything to put it on. Eating it straight from the bowl doesn't sound like a great idea!

      Delete
  6. I have nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. For all the details go here http://knittingnix.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-got-award.html

    Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination! It was very nice of you!

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about the mishap, but glad to hear things are mending up. I'm interested to hear what gluten-free wheat substitute made those cupcakes taste like dirt? I hate it when I substitute ingredients and things don't turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember which recipe I used, but I think it called for coconut flour. I have actually used coconut flour for several other things and they had been really good,so in this case I think it was a bad combination of ingredients. Too much of some stuff and not enough of others...

      Delete