Monday, January 23, 2012

Wurstwarmer

Sometimes I worry that I will run out of things to write about on this blog. Then I remind myself that I have five children, a dog and I am weird. There will always be something to blether on about. Today's post illustrates this quite nicely.

In my last post I showed you pictures of our miniature dachshund Jenny in her newly acquired winter wardrobe. What I neglected to mention was the reason why I, a compulsive knitter, had to go to the pet store and buy a cheap piece of over-priced acrylic junk to put on my poor frozen puppy.

I had started knitting a Wurstwarmer for Jenny back in December. The thing was December was so mild it felt like winter was going to give us a pass this year. (I live in Canada. Where was my brain?) My motivation to knit what was a rather boring item for my dog soon gave way to more interesting and exciting knits. The Wurstwarmer got stuffed in a bag and was quickly forgotten. Right up until we got hit with an Arctic front and the temperatures plummeted to well below zero.

It turns out that Jenny is a wimp. She has the courage of a Chihuahua but lives in a location that calls for the heart of a Siberian husky. When I took her outside to go to the bathroom she tried hopping along on three legs, and when this didn't make things any warmer she just gave up, plopped down on the frozen snow, and looked up at me with her big brown eyes.

Guilt can be a very strong motivator. I hauled out the bag with the Wurstwarmer languishing on the needles and knit like the wind. Here is our wiener dog modelling her 100% wool, hand knit Wurstwarmer.





In Jenny's defence I have to say that what she lacks in courage she more than makes up for in cuteness.

24 comments:

  1. This is equal parts adorable and hilarious!!! I think she is pretty proud of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how proud she is of it, but she does seem to like it. I thought she might try to work her way out of it, but she seems quite content to wear it, as you can tell from the pictures! :-)

      Delete
  2. So sweet. I think the turtle neck looks chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the turtleneck suits her. They don't suit me at all so this is my first time knitting one. If knitting for a dog counts...

      Delete
  3. Major cuteness indeed. I love that second photo: "You talkin' about me?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is definitely a bit of "attitude" in that picture! But then again, dachshunds are known for having a bit of attitude. :-)

      Delete
  4. That is just about the cutest thing ever! My Grandma has a dachshund and I'm thinking I might have to knit her a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to knit a sweater I highly recommend this pattern. It was designed with a dachshund's body in mind. I think you could count it as one of your 12 sweaters this year!

      Delete
  5. OK, I love that not only is she wearing a sweater, but she is modeling it on a sheepskin!!

    And you don't even live on the west coast where we like to pretend we aren't quite part of the Canadian winter psyche :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sheepskin on the rocking chair is her favourite place to sit when she isn't on someone's lap. Sometimes she drags it off the chair and sits on it on the floor. She also likes to tear off bits of the wool. You can tell she lives with a knitter. :-)

      Delete
  6. I think there's a future for Jenny in modelling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was surprisingly co-operative. Nt so when I tried to get some pictures out in the snow though!

      Delete
  7. Weird is fun. =)

    Jenny looks very sophisticated--and the modelling comments above are true. She's a natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird is weird, but nice of you to put a good spin on it. :-)

      Delete
    2. That's one of my gifts. =) But you're definitely good weird.

      PS - You were right, my wife didn't write a check for the $1k.

      Delete
  8. Kristie,

    That's a high quality fashionable knit wear for a dachshund. I love the dark purplish blue. I want to wear it myself. I read your other blogs yesterday, and I didn't know what to say. I was amazed at the temperature your family and dogs have been experiencing. I've never been to such place in my life. It's been colder than usual here in Southern California, and it rained all day today. I think Japan is having unusually cold weather, too. One blogger friend of mine reported that snow fell in Tokyo and covered his roof for 4 cm. I love all the photos, so I'll send this link to a Japanese friend whose pet is also a female dachshund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to describe what that kind of cold is like to someone who has never experienced it before. Consider yourself lucky that you don't know what it feels like! :-)

      Is your friend in Japan a knitter? If so, she can click on the link in my blog and find out where to get the pattern for the sweater. It was designed just for dachshunds!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'll let her know. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! She really is cute. I wish I looked as good when I model my hand knits! :-)

      Delete
  10. ADORABLE! She's a lucky little girl to have such a pretty (and warm) new sweater! I'm sure she's very grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think she will be truly grateful when winter is over. :-)

      Delete
  11. Oh, I can imagine that she has issues...she basically has no hair! So I think it was just perfect that you knit her a sweater! It looks great on the little model and fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's so cute. I don't think that my dog is going to be as content with the sweater I'm knitting for him. He keeps hurling himself to the floor and trying to roll it off of himself. It's hilarious to watch a dog with his legs akimbo trying to remove a sweater.

    I do love the name of the pattern. :D

    ReplyDelete