Friday, February 10, 2012

Birthday Cakes

Saturday is my birthday. Some birthdays seem to slip by, largely unnoticed. Others seem to become place markers in one's life. I turn 55 tomorrow and I think that definitely qualifies for a special celebration.

So what wild and crazy thing am I going to do to mark the occasion? Start a new knitting project of course! This isn't any old regular knitting project though. It will take exactly one year to complete, and that seems like the perfect fit for a place marker kind of a year.

I can't tell you exactly what it will look like at the end because I won't know until I get there. But there is one thing I do know. It is going to be a scarf. A Sky Scarf to be more precise. Every day for the next year I will check the sky, use two strands of yarn that most closely approximate what is out my window, and knit two rows of the scarf. By the end of the year I will have a knitted record of the year I was 55. (Blue is my favourite colour and I am hoping it is the predominant theme.)

Here is my recipe for a Sky Scarf birthday cake. Gather a yarn swift, a ball winder, and ten skeins of sky-coloured yarn.




Wind each skein into two yarn cakes. (You might need two of the same colour to represent that day's sky.)





Carefully begin to assemble on a cake plate.




Reluctantly add ingredients for grey skies and precipitation.




You saw it first here at North of 49. The world's first wheat-free, calorie-free, high fibre, no sweetener, zero calorie, lasts for one year, and doesn't even need to be refrigerated birthday cake.


27 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Yarn cakes are the best kind of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! That is going to be a gorgeous scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea. I'm sure it will look really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!
    Beautiful choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, fantastic idea and beautiful colours! Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! Happy Birthday on Saturday, i hope you have a wonderful day.
    I had a bit of time today to read your blog, is the weather just as bad as the day you first tried to drive South of 49? Hope the Spring comes to you sooooooon!
    regards
    liz
    ps, that Sky scarf idea is really wonderful! What a gorgeous cake, you get to have your cake and keep it, all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Happy Birthday, Kristie! (I'm one year ahead...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely way to mark a special year. I can't wait to see the result -- I'm sure it'll be gorgeous. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love. love love love this.

    Have a fabulous birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see what this looks like when finished. Hope you have an amazing birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! You'll have to do a quarterly update or something. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday!!! What a fabulour idea and I hope you show progress throughout the year. Maybe once a month?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant! Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday, Kristie!!! I hope you're doing something fun to celebrate today.


    The scarf is a great idea and you're the only person I know who would have a chance to actually complete it. =) Blue is my favorite color too--and like you, my wife is aquarius. Her b-day is the 16th, so for me the 15th is the eye of an annual storm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Kristie! Hope you are having an awesome day! Love the idea of your scarf! I can't wait to see it next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you a very happy birthday, Kristie! I hope you're having an absolutely fabulous day! That scarf should be gorgeous when done; a friend here is making one as well. It's a great idea. Looking forward to seeing it a year from now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday, Kristie, and I think that sky scarf is such a great idea!! A perfect guilt-free cake, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved your story about the family table. I recall my mother's cousin relating how she got the council to take away such a table. She had always kept a table protector on it to save the finish, but watched as it was dragged across the road as rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Belated Birthday!!
    Love the colours, it'll be a beautiful scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday to you, Kristie. Those yarns looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love the sky-scarf idea! Genius! Can't wait to see what it looks like. Hope you had a lovely birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhh...my... god... what gorgeous colors you have there!
    (I hope you had a great day! and many happy returns!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you had a lovely birthday and that your sky scarf is off to a good start! Best wishes for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm late to the party, but happy 55th! All the best!

    Great cake, can't wait to see it "develop"!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm late, too, but happy birthday! I hope that you love your sky scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I'm so far behind on reading your blog. Happy Belated Birthday!! And I love love love the Sky Scarf idea. I have some yarns in greens and blues that I bought for a vest project then decided I didn't like the pattern. Hmmm, maybe I can do a Sky-and-Water Scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy (very belated) birthday! Oh, you are doing one of those sky scarves?!?! I love it and your colors are so pretty. Looking forward to seeing progress on this through the year! You may convince me to actually start one of these rather than just thinking about starting one of these.

    ReplyDelete