Friday, February 17, 2012

February Frugal Luxuries

I love the month of February. The sun, when it chooses to shine, actually has some warmth to it. The days are noticeably longer, and there is a sense of anticipation that has me leafing through the seed catalogues planning this year's order. It is still winter but not for long.

This month has also been overflowing with Frugal Luxuries. First up is a Valentine's Day card I discovered in a box I found when I was sorting through stuff at my mom's a few weeks ago. This card was made by my grandma for my grandpa when they were first married, so it has to be over 80 years old.

"When you are old 
and cannot see -
smoke your pipe
and think of me
as your Valentine.

I offer a 
heart to my
Valentine
tis quite a
la carte,
will you give
me thine?"


My grandpa loved smoking his pipe!

Purdy's salted caramels. My one weakness.

The perfect mix of light and dark chocolates

Waking up to a world painted in crystals.


Hoarfrost
At first glance this last one might seem more like a luxury than a frugal luxury. However, I think because I live within an hour's drive of a world class ski resort (no flights and hotel stays involved), own my ski equipment (no rentals needed), and am skiing on a bargain price flex pass purchased last May, it qualifies. The fact that it was a gorgeously warm, sunny day with the faint smell of fir trees hovering in the air as we rode up the chairlift was an added bonus. And the fact that I got to spend the day with my daughter-in-law was a double bonus.


Sun Peaks February 2012


18 comments:

  1. That card was a gem!
    Linda McG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it when I found it tucked away in a box labeled "old pictures." A family treasure just waiting to be discovered!

      Delete
  2. OH! How I love that card, what a treasure. And in his own handwriting, too. That brought tears to my eyes.

    The salted caramels brought spasms from my salivary glands, but that's another story. :)

    I hadn't thought to appreciate the month of February, but you're right about it. And this year it's a day longer, to boot! Your post is making me think about my frugal luxuries now....thanks for passing along such a good idea, and have a luxurious weekend (eat a caramel for me!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card was an amazing find. What was funny was the picture that had been cut out and glued on it explained the hole in a photo I had been looking at in an album the day before!

      I am allowing myself 4 salted caramels every Sunday. I will dedicate one to you when I eat this Sunday's allotment. :-)

      Delete
  3. I NEED one of those frugally luxurious caramels! :) Great post! Is the flex pass really a great deal? I wondered about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. You definitely need one of those caramels. The bad news is I don't share chocolate. The good news is Purdy's is just a short drive from your house. :-)

      The flex pass is a good deal. I will probably get one again for next season.

      Delete
  4. Kristie,

    I love frugal luxury for the contrasting words and concept. It must be amazing to see those beautiful crystals all over. And a pass to the top class ski resort, many people are envious of you. It must be just gorgeous sliding down a mountain slope. I haven't done that for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice crystals were amazing. It doesn't happen very often, and this was an especially dramatic display. And yes, it is wonderful skiing down the slopes. Partly for the actual physical exercise, but also because I am surrounded by nature.

      Delete
  5. A beautiful post for my favorite concepts! You have a gift for cultivating the art of appreciation. :)
    Warmly,
    Tracey
    x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is your book that has inspired me to write monthly frugal luxury posts! A friend gave me the book a number of years ago and it has a place of honour on my bookshelf. It is a wonderful book, and I find myself going back to it again and again. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  6. Where do you order your seeds from? Do you start many of your own plants? Those caramels look amazing, I think I need to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past I have ordered from West Coast Seeds and from Veseys. This year I want to try out Salt Spring Seeds. They have quite a few heritage varieties. I have tried starting seeds in the past, but don't really have the proper space set up for it. Now I buy starter tomato and pepper plants instead. I'm a lazy gardener!

      And you haven't lived until you have eaten a Purdy's salted caramel. :-)

      Delete
  7. I have never skied, ever ... never been anywhere where there was enough snow, bar one unexpected heavy fall when I was in Switzerland one April. To me it is wonderful that you can ski so frugally, and clearly something you should totally take advantage of.

    And you'll be burning off so many calories on the slopes think how many of those Purdy's caramels you'll be able to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably as hard for you to imagine living in a place that gets lots of snow as it is for me trying to imagine living in a place that doesn't! I am not sure there is enough ski time in one season to burn off that box of Purdy's salted caramels. :-)

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful card! I have small drawer for little treasures like that.

    My wife loves caramels, but hasn't tired the salted variety yet. I can't decide whether I should or shouldn't introduce her to them. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you should introduce her to them. You would never have to wonder what to give her as a gift after she had eaten one! :-)

      Delete
  9. Such a sweet card! You only have one weakness? I'm impressed! I have a whole slew of them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have "only one weakness" in any given moment. :-)

      Delete