Saturday, March 10, 2012

Useless Random Facts

Here are some really random facts about me. This is the kind of blog post one resorts to when life has gotten away from them for the past week. It is amazing how much energy one tiny puppy with a bladder the size of a lentil takes!



  1. My three biggest fears in life are, in no particular order, flying, dentists and snakes. I can face the first one with some small amount of courage. No such luck with the other two. Ask anyone who has been out walking with me when I have encountered a snake. Or who has seen me after major dental work. 
  2. My socks must match some part of my wardrobe. I know that post with the picture of me walking the dog early in the morning might seem to indicate otherwise, but it is true. My dad was the same way, so possibly there is a gene of some sort responsible for this. In the picture above I can guarantee you that my socks had at least some blue in them. If they didn't I would definitely not be smiling.
  3. In the past I have been employed as a truck driver. Not the kind who drives huge transport trucks across the country and eats at greasy diners along the way. I was the kind who drove trucks in wheat fields and hauled the loads to grain elevators. It was all part of growing up on a farm.
  4. One of my biggest pet peeves in life is people who talk incessantly but don't have anything to say. Imagine my excitement when I read about the latest technology coming out of Japan. It is a speech jamming gun that stops people from talking by freezing the brain. In my experience the people I know who need this technology applied already have frozen brains, but still, it might just work. 
  5. I have a degree in mathematics, which seems odd considering most of my knitting mistakes are because I don't seem to be able to count. I take heart in the fact that I once sat through a university math lecture where the professor could not get a formula to work out. He spent the whole hour trying to get it to come together, only to discover at the end of the class that he had added something wrong at the very beginning. This would have been a member of the same math department that had several professors who went out to cut some fire wood. After careful calculations as to where the tree would fall they proceeded to chop it down. It landed squarely on top of their truck. 
  6. In spite of the fact I have a fairly good grasp of mathematics, I have absolutely no spatial sense. It is like I was born without an inner gyroscope. This would account for the fact I consistently park my car at least two feet from the curb.
  7. I have always been very good at sports with the exception of golf, bowling and billiards. I think my failure with these three is due to that spatial sense defect. I might be the only person on the face of the planet who has unintentionally had both a bowling ball and a golf ball go backwards instead of forwards. 
  8. My body's reaction to stress is to turn off the memory switch in my brain. The first time this happened was when Alexandra was a toddler and got air ambulanced to Children's Hospital in Vancouver. For the first three days she was there I could not for the life of me remember the name of the disease she had been diagnosed with in spite of the fact I had been told repeatedly what it was. I remember feeling a strange sense of panic at the time, wondering if I was losing my mind. I now realize it is my brain's way of coping, and it has become my "stress barometer." When I find myself unable to remember the simplest things I know I am on overload.
  9. What was I just saying??

18 comments:

  1. I love #4! As to the socks - a university friend of mine once remarked that she judged new acquaintances by whether or not their socks matched the rest of their clothing (a reflection on the subject's taste and refinement or lack thereof, I suppose). That thought has stuck with me for 35+ years and has become a guiding precept of my life! The socks have to go with the outfit. This is my rationale for having more handknit socks than I can possibly wear out in my lifetime, and a principle which I have imposed willy-nilly on my long-suffering husband, whose sock drawers are also bulging. (Yes, that is drawers, plural.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should confess that I also have more socks than I could wear out in my lifetime. And I keep knitting more! I have not, however, had any success in convincing the other members of my family about the importance of wearing matching socks. My hat's off to you for that accomplishment! :-)

      Delete
  2. actually, i thoroughly love this kind of post. all the little oddball things that add up to make a neat person, the things that don't come out otherwise....i love it. i can teach people how to do a discriminant function analysis, i can do structural equation modeling all day long (and love every minute), but i cannot add in my head and i get confused by numbers that end in zeroes. so you go, mathematician who makes math mistakes! i laughed at the stories of the math professors, those were fantastic.

    my answer to your question 9: what? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have trouble adding in your head and are confused by numbers that end in zeroes I think I know a math department that might be a good fit if you are in the market for a job change. :-)

      Your answer to my question in #9 made me smile!

      Delete
  3. I used to be phobic about snakes. It got to the point where I wouldn't walk outside in the summer for fear of seeing one. I finally had enough and decided to "get over it." I've gotten so that if I see one I can control that overwhelming zero-at-the-bone feeling and watch it like a scientist. I've also held a few in controlled situations. It has been liberating to get over the fear, but it was a long process. I do empathize!

    Too funny about the math and spatial awareness. I'm the exact opposite ... stink at math, but my family calls me The Navigator because of my uncanny sense of direction. And you would hate my sock sense. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you have actually held snakes. It makes my spine go all weak just to think about it. Any time my kids handled a snake I would make them wash their hands right away because I didn't even want to touch someone who had touched a snake. I need way more than two degrees of separation between me and the slithering things. :-) Good for you for conquering your fear!

      I actually admire people who are able to wear socks that don't match. :-)

      Delete
  4. I, too, love this post! I'm right there with you on the flying (although I've flown to Europe four times), major dental/periodontic procedures (I have to keep reminding myself to breathe, or I don't), and snakes. I also think I've parked my car close to the curb, only to find I'm two feet away. This came on in advanced age, though, so I'm blaming cataracts and deteriorating retinas.

    I don't wear socks, but don't consider myself dressed unless I'm wearing pantyhose that match my outfit (even when wearing blue jeans).

    I never go barefoot, even inside my own house.

    I hum (a quiet, droning hum) when I am in great pain. It's my mind's way of blocking out the pain.

    In a college golf class of 45 people, I came in #45 in a putting contest. I haven't picked up a golf club since!

    I have an internal GPS system. I can find my way around, and to and from, anywhere.

    Every one of my knitting group, except one person, needs one of those speech-jamming guns!

    Thanks for the great post.

    Mary G. in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too bad I wasn't in your college golf class. If I had been you wouldn't have ended up in last place in that putting contest! :-)

      I laughed about your need for the speech jamming gun at your knitting group!

      I was surprised to read you don't wear socks. Do you knit them for other people?

      Delete
    2. I have knit two pairs of socks in my lifetime, just to satisfy my curiosity in knitting them. None of my family (children or grandchildren) will wear handknit socks, so I don't knit them. That doesn't mean that I don't buy sock yarn, though--I have a ton of it! There are so many other things that can be knit from the beautiful hand-painted sock yarns, such as shawls and baby sweaters and hats.

      Mary G. in Texas

      Delete
  5. Oh the joy of the speech jamming gun ... I know a fair few folk I'd love to use that on!

    My 24 year old daughter wears socks that don't match each other let alone the other things she is wearing ... it's a style choice, apparently!

    Loved this post Kristie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My 21 year old daughter wears mismatched socks too! It drives me crazy.

      I am thinking I should look into being the Canadian distributor for the speech jamming gun. It would practically sell itself! :-)

      Delete
  6. Not surprised you have trouble counting - that is not Maths; it is Arithmetic. Or, as we called it, Sums, or even more daunting, Hard Sums. That's what we had to do in Primary School, and we didn't do Maths until we changed schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right of course. Arithemetic and mathematics are tow different things. Which is why my brilliant math prof couldn't add 2 + 2. I am fine with arithmetic except for my knitting. Not counting correctly accounts for most of my frogging episodes. Knowing this does not seem to keep me out of trouble though!

      Delete
  7. Math and counting aren't the same thing. All the mathematicians say so!

    Random facts are fun to read--it tells a lot about the person who came up with the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is I don't have trouble counting in any area of my life other than knitting. I don't know what goes wrong when I pick up my needles. :-)

      Delete
  8. Do the two socks have to match??? I prefer mine do, but my family borrows mine so often, I sometimes have to leave the house with a mixed pair. #4 scares me a little, my blog is all about nothing.

    It sounds like the wood cutters may have shared your spatial sense. My dad used to have us tie a rope high up in a tree that was about to be felled, so we could pull and encourage it in the right direction.

    This is a great post--very interesting. But I hope #9 was offered in jest. Are you stressed???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing worse than having socks that didn't match what I was wearing would be to have socks that didn't match each other. :-)

      Don't worry. My blog is about nothing as well. :-) It isn't writing about nothing that bothers me. We all have a choice about what we read. Unfortunately the same can't always be said about who we have to listen to.

      Delete
  9. I'm with you on snakes. I've learned to deal with them. Another for me? Grizzly bears. I think I try to do the opposite with socks though maybe not consciously (and often my socks don't even match themselves). Nobody should come to me for fashion advice! A speech jamming gun? Sometimes technology is wonderful. I've had a bowling bowl go backwards...I'm good at sports but not that one (I would actually argue whether it is a sport though that statement may anger some).

    I love random fact posts...BUT I hope things have settled a bit for you!

    ReplyDelete