Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Friend, the Rotisserie Chicken

Just because I haven't done a food post in awhile doesn't mean we have stopped eating. I think the problem is I am currently uninspired and unmotivated about anything to do with cooking. Well, except for eating the finished product. I still like that part.

I think it is the time of the year. It's March. It will be two more months until the Farmer's Market starts up again. The apples, which were harvested many months ago, are starting to taste like they came from a museum instead of the grocery store. At least they are locally produced. At this time of the year practically every other thing in the produce section comes from a great distance, and looks like it too. I think it would actually be possible to do a geography lesson amongst all the imported fruits and vegetables.

So last week when I was in Costco in this uninspired state of mind and discovered they no longer carry what I was planning to serve for dinner I fell back on my tried and true Costco double dinner trick. I bought the one thing that Costco is guaranteed to carry every day of the year. Other items might vaporize from one Costco visit to the next, but there is one thing you can always count on. The rotisserie chicken.

This is a double dinner deal because the first night we have the chicken along with a veggie side dish. In order to have the second night work out properly you must follow these instructions very carefully. Before anyone in your family can get up and help themselves to a second serving of chicken you must grab what's left of the bird and throw it in the fridge with a sign saying "Do Not Eat." This works in our house because there are only four of us living here now. Back in the days when there were seven of us, including multiple hungry teenagers, this plan would have been doomed to failure.

The next morning take the picked over rotisserie chicken, skin included, and throw it in the crockpot with a bit of sea salt and cover with water. Cook on high for a few hours, then pull the chicken out, let it cool, and remove the meat from the bones. While the meat is cooling search your refrigerator for any veggies that look soup worthy. I found carrots, a bit of celery, an onion and some kale. Chop them up and throw into the crockpot. Add some seasoning. I used sea salt, pepper and some Bragg mixed herbs. Put the boned chicken in and cook for another few hours.



Check the time, and about two hours before you want to eat dinner  add some wild rice. If you don't have wild rice some nice alternatives are barley or quinoa (if you aren't allergic). 


My friend Hilary was the one who introduced me to rotisserie chicken soup. I think she's a genius. The flavour is so much better than chicken soup made the old-fashioned way that I have totally abandoned that method. It really is as good as it looks in this picture.


And no, I don't want to know what it is they sprinkle on those Costco chickens to make them so tasty!

12 comments:

  1. That does sound like a tasty recipe. I'll have to try Costco, I don't care for the rotisserie chickens sold by the grocery stores here. That's been a disappointment because I have such fond memories of coming home from church and watching a chicken take it's last few spins on my mom's rotisserie. By then a wing had usually come loose and made the watching more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rotisserie chicken must have been even better when it was homemade. I have been tempted to get one of the rotisserie cookers, but they look like they would be a pain to clean. And yes, Costco chickens are way better than the ones from grocery stores. I'm not sure why, but that is why i said I don't really want to know what they sprinkle on that makes them that way. :-)

      Delete
    2. Maybe the rotisseries are like a good cast iron skillet and shouldn't be cleaned too thoroughly...to enhance the flavor of future birds. Maybe? LOL, probably not!

      I asked my wife about the chickens and she reminded me we belong to BJ's, not Costco. :(

      Delete
  2. I am definitely going to try this the next time we buy a whole seasoned chicken. Personally, I like the Cooper's chickens better than the Costco's. They are soooo tasty!! (and I don't really want to know what makes them that way, either!) Thanks for the recipe.. my dinners have been rather boring lately, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to have a really meaty soup you can put the whole chicken in the crockpot. I am surprised to hear the Cooper's chickens are better than Costco's. I will have to try one next time if I can get up the courage to enter that store. (I am afraid of their cashiers.) :-)

      Delete
  3. That sounds like lovely soup! I'll be giving it a go the next time we have chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I tried to reply to your comment and Blogger messed up somehow. Or I did, I'm not sure which! Anyway, I think you will like the soup. Everyone I know who has tried it thinks it is great!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup sounds delicious. Rarely do we buy rotisserie chickens but the next time we do, I'm definitely going to try this idea! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want an even better soup you can put the whole chicken in. It makes for a very meaty, filling soup!

      Delete
  6. Rotisserie chickens are one of the best timesavers. Now I want to go buy one.

    ReplyDelete