Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sweetly Out Of Tune

Last night a friend and I went to a function at the library. A local author was reading from her newly published book of poems, accompanied by a local string quintet playing classical music. I wasn't sure I would enjoy the poetry reading. It seems to me that poetry is a lot like Longfellow's little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead. When it is good it is very good indeed, but when it is bad it is horrid. I needn't have worried. It turns out the poet was excellent, and her reading was filled with creative expression.

It wasn't the poems that made the evening for me though. It was the music. And not because it was expertly played on instruments worth more than my home. It wasn't. In fact, most of the pieces were what I would call "sweetly out of tune" and the majority of the instruments had that "rent to own" look about them. It brought back fond memories of the many music recitals I sat through when my kids were young. What made it so memorable was the obvious love the musicians had for their instruments, and the simple pleasure they got out of performing on them. It is what every parent who has invested in music lessons for their kids hopes to see at the other end. A love of music.

That expression - "sweetly out of tune" - popped into my mind again this morning as I sleepily slipped on my jacket to go walk Fergus. I looked down and was greeted by this sight.


I would challenge anybody to make poetry out of that. Old hand knit socks, flannel pyjamas covered by my ancient bathrobe, my old blue field coat and beat up Lands' End moccasins. Oh. And one wee dog.

17 comments:

  1. I loved the expressions on the musicians' faces, especially the elderly white haired woman. So sweet! And the excitement of the poet as she was waiting to read. You could tell she had such a passion for her poetry and loved sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't that white haired woman sweet? She looked like she was thoroughly enjoying herself! It is always refreshing to see people doing something they enjoy so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's poetry in there...something about faithful, well-worn friends protecting you from the cold while a new friend frolicks in it. If you were sleepy, I don't want to think about what time it must have been.

    My favorite performers are those that love and respect what they're doing. It's not exactly the same, but I'm losing interest in the big money sports because they're dominated by "superstars" who don't even really know how to play their sport--don't know the fundamentals. Baseball players can't bunt today because they only practice hitting homeruns, basketball players can't shoot free throws because they only practice dunking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't that early - just 6:00. The problem was that previous mornings had been more like 4:30 and I have become rather sleep deprived. I am happy to say those very early mornings now seem to be a thing of the past. And I agree about big money sports.

      Delete
    2. Did you see the commentary on Hockey Night last night? About young players not being willing to 'learn and put in time' below the stars but wanting trades to teams where they can be the stars right now? It was interesting.

      Delete
    3. I missed that, but it certainly backs up Rick's point.

      Delete
    4. Hockey too? That's disappointing. But on a happier note, the University of Maryland's women's basketball team just won the ACC championship. The women aren't as big or fast as the men, but they play real basketball, as a team. It was fun to watch.

      Delete
  4. Challenge taken. Be back later in the week-end, have a Destination Imagination tournament to get through tomorrow first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will anxiously be waiting to see what you come up with! :-)

      Delete
  5. A haiku, of sorts (because I was never one to refuse a challenge!) ...

    In winter, faithful
    friends of every kind warm
    body, heart and feet ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful! It sounds so much nicer than the reality of me standing there all frumpy and half asleep. Thanks for taking up the challenge. :-)

      Delete
  6. I think you were safe, dressed as you were, walking the dog. The Fashion Police aren't out, roaming the streets, at 6:00 a.m.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing they aren't or I would have been arrested. :-)

      Delete
  7. OK, it's rough, but here you go:

    Winter Mornings
    Patience, little friend.
    Let me rub the sleep from my eyes.
    Wool knit socks slip into warm moccasins,
    Pajamas and rob covered up with
    The old blue coat that
    Has seen so many of these moments
    It seems to have hidden in its folds
    The children's voices
    From all those other early winter mornings.
    Now you, little pup.
    Wanting me, needing me awake
    To tend to your needs.
    Patience, little friend.
    I'm ready now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Kate! But like the wonderful haiku above, I fear it paints a much nicer picture of me than the reality of me stumbling out my back door at 6:00 in the morning. Thanks for taking up the challenge!

      Delete
  8. I figured Kate would come through with something amazing...and she did! I'm barely able to keep my eyes open so I'm declining the challenge. I see nothing wrong with how you were dressed...I dress similarly if not worse to do far more things than going for a walk! I think people are just used to me (except my mom who really would like to disown me most days!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have something in common - I think my mom would also like to disown me most days too! :-) And yes, Kate did not disappoint.

      Delete