Friday, April 20, 2012

Fergus Friday

It is a sad fact, but when I was in Calgary last weekend it took three adults to look after one small puppy. I think this is more a comment on the people occupants of this house than the dog. I mean really, how could anything as sweet and innocent looking as this ever get into trouble?




Adult #1: If you can text and make whip cream at the same time, looking after a 4 month old puppy should be a breeze.




Adult #2: You can't fool me. I know you love spending time with Fergus.




Adult #3: You're fired.

Here's what happened. When I walked in the door Sunday night I was excited to see if Fergus would remember me. But instead of being met by a rambunctious puppy begging to be picked up, Jay was standing at the front door holding Fergus. Let me amend that to say he was standing at the front door holding Fergus, with a look on his face that was somewhere between guilt and concern.

That morning he had accidentally dropped a pill on the kitchen floor and before he could grab it Fergus got to it, snarfed it up and swallowed it. As all animal owners know you only ever need a vet on the weekend when they are almost impossible to get hold of and the rates are doubled. Luckily Jay got right through and the vet asked how much Fergus weighed. He then determined Fergus would be okay, but would probably be groggy for most of the day.

Groggy? He was way beyond groggy. Poor Fergus didn't look like he knew if he was a cat or a dog! Most disturbing of all was the fact that his ears were not sticking up. Not only were they not sticking up, they were hanging limply back in a way that reminded me of a balloon that has lost all its air.

Fergus was fine the next morning, and I was mostly over being upset. And I am not really going to fire adult #3. But I will confess there were a few moments right after I walked in the door Sunday night when I wanted to.

Fergus with his fully recovered ears.



16 comments:

  1. Poor baby! (kinda funny, but super scary at the same time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right - funny and scary at the same time. :-)

      Delete
  2. awww glad he's ok! Love that last shot, such cute ears you have Fergus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep looking at those ears trying to figure out how he could ever possibly fit into them!

      Delete
  3. Oh, poor little Fergus! I'm glad he recovered quickly. My wife once accidentally took one of Bandit's pills. Then a few weeks later she evened it out by accidentally giving Bandit one of her's. We try to not let her handle that duty anymore.

    Just a strange thought, are you sure Fergus wasn't drugged intentionally to slow him down while you were away??? jk, I know the 3 adults wouldn't do that. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it I do sort of wonder. Jay said Fergus slept the whole day. Hmmm...

      Delete
  4. Oh my lordy, those ears would do me in!!

    (Glad all's well that end's well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we dodged a huge vet bill. Had he chomped down more than one pill he would have needed his stomach pumped.

      I smile every time I see his ears sticking straight up like that!

      Delete
  5. Poor little guy, glad he recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a relief to get up the next morning and see he was back to normal.

      Delete
  6. Aw, puppies always get into more trouble when their routine is messed up.

    I'm glad that he's feeling better. And that you are, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular puppy seems to get in trouble even when his routine isn't messed up!

      Delete
  7. Awe. Poor baby, Fergus! I'm glad that he is feeling better. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he doesn't ever do it again. If someone drops a pill on the floor again they need to go for the dog first rather than the pill!

      Delete
  8. These pups ... whatever it is you don't want them to eat they always will!

    The pill thing has happened here, but luckily only with a paracetemol and unlike cats dogs tolerate the drug well, in fact on our vets recommendation we keep a bottle of infant strength paracetemol syrup in the house for treating minor canine ailments.

    So glad that Fegus and his ears soon bounced back :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the pill thing has happened to many people. That little pill rolls across the floor so quickly when it drops, and the puppies are faster than we are. Interesting about the paracetemol. I will have to remember that!

      Delete