Monday, April 2, 2012

Old Man's Hat

Several years ago I made a felted tea cozy. I love that cozy, and it brings back some fond memories. Due to the fact I own a front loader washing machine that seems to only be able to felt the things I don't want felted, I took my project down to my parents' home to run through their washing machine.

They had been introduced to the process of felting on a previous visit when I took down a pair of slippers to run through their machine, so they weren't surprised when I pulled out an oversize object to throw in the washer. What was completely new to them was the actual item I was felting. They had never heard of a tea cozy! I don't know who was more shocked. My parents by the fact that people covered their teapots, or me by the fact that there were people who didn't know a teapot should be covered to keep the tea warm. For the rest of that visit the tea cozy sat propped up on the counter to dry. Every time my dad walked by it he would get this funny grin on his face.

Fast forward a few years and hundreds of cups of tea later. Last week I finished up a few knitting projects I had been working on and decided to take a detour from knitting items that people or dogs could wear. I decided it was time to knit something new for my teapot so I pulled this book off my shelves. My felted tea cozy is very dressy looking - something I could use if the Queen ever drops by. I decided I needed a more down-to-earth cozy for those days I run in from the garden, dirt still on my hands and clothes, to have a quick cuppa. Enter Old Man's Hat.

It only took a couple evenings to knit the various pieces, and when they were finished I looked at the pile of parts with a feeling of dread.


I despise sewing knitted bits together. I knew it would be foolish to put these pieces in a bag to put together later. At least it would be foolish if I ever wanted to have a tea cozy that didn't need to be held together with safety pins. So I gritted my teeth and spent the next evening putting the pieces together.

I love the patches for the holes in the Old Man's Hat. They were done with scraps of sock yarn.


The tea cozy fits my teapot perfectly, and thanks to the two layers of Rowan Cork yarn it should keep my tea piping hot.


There's just one small problem. It is like one of those pictures that, depending on how you look at it, can appear to be two completely different objects. I was hoping that it was just me, and to the rest of the tea drinking world it would just look like an Old Man's Hat. However, my worst fears were confirmed when my husband, walking by my computer and seeing the pictures I was editing for this post, commented, "What's with the eyes on the tea cozy?"

20 comments:

  1. Love it! Eyes didn't occur to me, so not everyone will see it that way. I'm due to be making a tea cozy - you've inspired me to start looking for a pattern. (but nothing that needs to be sewn together!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can borrow my tea cozy book if you want to!

      Delete
  2. I think it's adorable. Embrace the alienness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's going to get some interesting comments when I use it. I am not going to tell people what it is supposed to be. I think I'll wait to see what they come up with first. Unless the Queen really does show up. Then I think I better do some explaining. Or use the other cozy. :-)

      Delete
  3. See now that you pointed it out, I see a viking head with the spout and handle as the horns on the hat!

    Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Now that you say that I can sort of see a Viking in there too. Oh well, I come from good Danish stock, so I guess I can live with a Viking tea cozy.

      Delete
  4. Think of it as a conversation piece. No more awkward moments while sipping tea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look a little alien-face-like, but I love it! I chuckled at your parents not knowing what a tea cozy was!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was pretty funny, but what was the funniest was my dad grinning and shaking his head at the cozy every time he walked by it! I suspect there are quite a few Americans who don't know what a tea cozy is (my parents live in the US, I live in Canada).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tea cosy country over here so we know all about them, but dare I say I wondered about the eyes too! It's like it's watching you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit like the Mona Lisa - the eyes go with you know matter which way you head with your cup of tea! I used it again this morning, and my first thought when I put it on the teapot was definitely alien, not old man's hat.

      Delete
  8. It's a wonderful tea cozy, you did a great job stitching it all together. I do see eyes...sort of a ski mask cozy. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I will add burglar to my list of possibilities. It's funny that is what comes to mind when I think of a ski mask, and not skiing!

      Delete
  9. i'm with your husband - eyes! But at least you always have company with your cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the "eyes" definitely have it! So far only one person has not seen eyes of some kind when looking at it. Maybe I should rename the cozy. :-)

      Delete
  10. First, I know of tea cozies but have never used one. I drink tea but don't have a tea pot...likely cuz I drink only a cup on the morning and that's it. Second...if you hadn't mentioned 'eyes' I never would have thought of that! It's a pretty cool cozy if you ask me...I love the flashes of color that I suppose are 'patches'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the flashes of colour are supposed to be patches. :-) Maybe you should get a teapot just so you can knit a cozy. There are lots of cute patterns!

      Delete
  11. I honestly didn't see them as eyes until you mentioned it. I think it's really cute. I have a new project to work on! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I mentioned it do you see eyes instead of patches? The power of suggestion can be quite strong!

      Delete