Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Surprise!

There have been lots of surprises around here lately, and they have almost all been good.

Surprise #1:

Alexandra is making a faster than expected recovery. I knew she was feeling much better the first time I saw her venture into the kitchen to cook something. She still tires out easily, and it will be another week or two before she can go back to work, but she is headed in the right direction.

Surprise #2:

This arrived in the mail last week addressed to Alexandra. It is a get well present from her Aunt Cheri. I want those sheep cupcakes for my next birthday!



Surprise #3:

Another parcel arrived for Alexandra today, this one looking quite mysterious. It was from fellow blogger Rick (RicAdeMus) at Waiting For Wisdom.





Rick adopted a red panda for Alexandra through the National Zoo's Adopt a Species program. The box had a photo of the red panda, a card explaining the program, and a stuffed red panda. It definitely brought a smile to her face when she opened it up. Thanks so much Rick!




Surprise #4:

This surprise was for someone outside our family. I knit a shawl for a friend, and I have to say I was quite pleased with how it turned out. It is Stephen West's Boneyard Shawl pattern knit with Madelinetosh Pashmina yarn.





Surprise #5:

This Easter was going to be a quiet one. I wasn't even going to make an Easter dinner. When Alexandra and David found out I wasn't planning to do anything they took matters into their own hands. Alexandra said she would make a lasagna and David said he would do a Caesar salad. They phoned Anita and she said she would cover the dessert. (I think I should say I am not cooking more often!)

Fast forward to Easter afternoon. It was a warm day - so warm that I was sitting out on the back deck reading a book, enjoying the warm sun on my back. Alexandra was in the kitchen starting her lasagna prep and all of a sudden there was a commotion at the front door and Alexandra called out, "Rebekah and Anton are here!"

I had no clue they were driving up from Vancouver to spend Easter with us! Alexandra and David had managed to pull off this surprise without me being even a little suspicious, which, if you know me, is quite a feat! What was extra special about this particular surprise is Rebekah leaves this week to go teach English in Korea for a year. She had come up for a goodbye visit a couple weeks ago, but her visit coincided with when Alexandra was in the hospital, so it really had not been a terrific time. This redeemed the whole thing.

Surprise #6:

This is the only lemon out of the bunch. After Easter dinner I asked Kellen if he would help me find my all season tires under the deck so I could get my snow tires off this week. In case you are wondering why I needed help with this task, there are five vehicles between our two residences, and all extra tires get stored under our deck. (All tires look the same to me. Black.)

We looked through them multiple times and no matter what could only come up with three of my summer tires. I am embarrassed to admit it took at least three times sorting through the tires for me to remember that last fall I had a nail shred the side of tire number 4, and instead of replacing it I just put the winter tires on. "Why do today what can successfully be put off until tomorrow" is only a good motto to live by until tomorrow arrives.

Today I went to Kal Tire to buy two new tires, knowing that you can't replace just one. What I had also forgotten, along with the fact I had shredded a tire, is that I own a Subaru. It is all-wheel drive. Which meant I owned three perfectly good, but also perfectly useless tires. With all-wheel drive you have to replace all four tires at the same time. And really, could there be any more boring way to spend money in life than on tires?

20 comments:

  1. I'm so glad Alexandra is doing better--and what a great surprise having the newlyweds visit.

    I;m sorry the package took so long...8 days for the Zoo to send it out and 11 days in transit! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies required! Remember, we operate on a Canada Post timeline. I was shocked to see it arrive so fast! :-)

      Delete
  2. Yeah! Alexandra is doing better! I know that must be a wonderful thing.

    I don't bother with snow tires. I just walk if things get to the point I need them here. Luckily I live where I can walk to the grocery store, bank, post office and work. (And a hospital, if necessary.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky you can do without snow tires. I have too many drives over mountain passes between here and Spokane, and here and Vancouver to go without. And yes, it is wonderful that Alexandra is getting better. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hurray! I am so glad Alexandra is getting better!

    Those sheep are awsome! I didn't even realise that it was food!

    The panda is so cute! I want one now!

    I can't think of anything more boring than tire shopping, but I suppose it is necessary. Why is it that all the necessary shopping is boring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexandra is thinking about making the fish cupcakes, but I am going to put pressure on for the sheep - a gluten-free breed of course! Good question about why necessary shopping is boring. I wish I had an answer! :-)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I just pick up surprise #4 and hold it lovingly against my cheek, it's that soft. The colours are amazing too. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! I loved that yarn and will definitely be knitting more projects out of it. You will have to let me know how it washes.

      Delete
  5. Numbers 1 - 5 are all fantastic. And to look at the silver lining, just think that you can drive now in the confidence that your tires are all new and helping to keep you safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the tires. Now I just have to hope that all 4 last!

      Delete
  6. Surprises are wonderful! Even the lemon of the bunch--at least it wasn't something tragic, just annoying. :/ I'm glad you had a nice family Easter and some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a very nice Easter, and more sunshine than we knew what to do with. I actually got slightly sun-burned!

      Delete
  7. What great news that Alexandra is on the mend.

    Cars are so dang annoying. And expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoying, expensive, but unfortunately also necessary. At least where we live!

      Delete
  8. No - no more boring way to spend money. But five lovely surprises really beat out the one bad!
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is it a boring way to spend money, but the smell of new tires makes me quite sick. By the time I got out of the tire shop I had a bad headache. Maybe that is one of the reasons I dislike tire shopping so much. But you are right, the good surprises more than made up for the bad one. :-)

      Delete
  9. I just finished a lightweight scarf in Pashmina. Isn't it lovely to work with? And tires are sooo boring. And expensive. And necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Pashmina is one of the nicest yarns ever! It makes me rather sad to think how much Pashmina I could have purchased with the money that got spent on those new tires...

      Delete
  10. I wish I had remembered to mention in my earlier comment why I capitalize Ricademus so oddly. It's to help people know how to pronounce it. One of my first commenters thought it was "re cad ah mus" and said it sounded like a disease. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pleased to read that Alexandra is properly on the mend :D

    What a pity about the tyre, but one lemon in a bowl of cherries, not so shabby. Love the shawl, I'm sure the new owner will too :D

    ReplyDelete