Friday, April 27, 2012

Renovation Blues

This is going to be a short post. We are in the midst of chaos here due to the ongoing basement renovations. Chaos and I are not friends.

Hidden under all the junk is our new flooring. I think I am happy with it, but won't know for sure until I can actually see it minus the dust and collection of tools.




It works out well having a son with a painting business. And no, he is not a midget. He only looks short because of the way I took the picture. In real life he is 6'3".




As renovations have a way of doing, the mess oozed out of the basement and into our family room.




I can handle chaos I can't see. I'm not so great with chaos that is staring me in the face. Our kitchen looks down on this room, and it is the room where I work on my computer. It is also a room Fergus and Jenny are usually allowed into, but due to the tippy bookshelves we have had to block access to it. This is where it gets a bit scary. The only thing I could come up with that was wide enough and high enough to keep them out was my stash.




Exposed. Naked. Revealed. There for everyone to see. If you are a knitter you understand the depth of my discomfort. Here's the really confronting thing. This is only part of my stash. The reality is I have enough to keep back a pack of Bernese Mountain dogs should the need ever arise.

The weekend will be spent slowly untangling the mess this house has become. I am looking forward to the end result, but have to admit I have hated every minute of the process. I just keep reminding myself it could be worse. At least I'm not Jean. She is facing having to replace the ceiling in her home due to water damage caused by the upstairs neighbours.

19 comments:

  1. Reno's are brutal. Hopefully things will be bck to normal soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a trip to the dentist is worse! :-)

      Delete
  2. May the chaos be quickly banished and your stash be returned to safe quarters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sooner the stash gets hidden again, the better. :-)

      Delete
  3. The worst thing for me is that it seems the chaos takes FOREVER to get back into place. Although it sounds like you're a little more motivated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. It takes so much longer to put it all back together again. Those stash boxes sitting out are truly a great motivator though!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. We could use a helping hand. How about a quick "working vacation" to visit us? Meals included! :-)

      Delete
  5. How exciting to have a newly done basement! It will be worth the uncomfortable chaos, but I understand how unsettling it must be. The floor looks gorgeous, and I have to say, your son is quite the handsome guy!
    Ah! The stash! It's OK. The non-knitters will never understand, but we fiber addicts are nodding in recognition and wondering if you'd like to unloads some our way. :)
    Good luck with the reno!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but the stash stays North of 49. :-)

      Delete
  6. My first thought, when seeing the stash bins photo, was "She calls that a stash?". But, you redeemed yourself by adding that those bins represented just a small part of your stash. I've seen Bernese Mountain dogs in Switzerland; your whole stash must, indeed, be very large, lol!

    By the way, does it mean that I am nosy because I tried, in vain, to read the yarn labels showing inside the bins?!

    Mary G. in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty large, but I am still able to keep it all in one bedroom closet. That's funny that you were trying to read the labels. I figured the knitters reading this blog would do exactly that! It would be hard to do though because I keep my yarn in Ziplock bags inside the containers in an attempt to foil the moths. It makes it hard to see what is in there. :-)

      Delete
  7. I also thought - two bins, what's to be embarrassed about? Our renovation is going slowly, but the chaotic part is (mostly over) I wish your son lived here, I'm sick of painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you are almost past the chaos. Things are slowly coming together here too. I have to admit I was pretty lucky about the painting!

      Delete
  8. You mean your family room doesn't look like that all the time??? My wife has junk piled everywhere and told me that's how everyone lives!!! Sadly, I'm only partially kidding. She's working on de-cluttering now.

    I see the knitters understand the discomfort related to the exposed stash and, as a non-knitter, I can confirm the reason for that feeling is not clear to us. Maybe something about a job half-done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't look exactly like that. I would describe it as almost as bad, but in a different way. Which is why there are no "before" photos being posted on my blog. :-)

      I will try to clear things up for you non-knitters out there. Most knitters keep buying yarn. Even though we already have yarn. It only takes a few minutes to make a yarn purchase. It takes weeks, and in some cases months to finish a project. We are powerless to resist a beautiful skein of wool, and so you can see how this quickly becomes a problem. There is no known cure. :-)

      Delete
  9. Ah, the chaos of renovations. I feel your pain! I fear my entire house needs renovating but I just can't face the upheaval, and with 5 whippets I would need my entire stash to block their access!

    Hope it's all sorted soon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you live so far away, or I could have loaned you some stash to help contain your whippets! :-)

      Delete
  10. The only good thing about reno's is the finished product! Keep your eyes on the prize! :) The floor looks like a nice shade! You will love it, I'm sure. Great post!

    ReplyDelete