Tuesday, May 8, 2012

BSJ

The TV is now functional, but as I suspected things got way more complicated once we took it out of the box. New technology makes me feel like a moron. Seriously. When there are things I struggle to learn that a five year old can do without any previous instruction it is sort of deflating.

I am glad I had just finished this knitting project before my confrontation with the new remote control. This is the third time I have knit this sweet little baby sweater, and every time I make one it makes me feel smart. Really it was the sweater's designer, Elizabeth Zimmermann, who was the brilliant one, but still...there is something about folding what looks like a misshapen lump of wool together and coming up with a wearable object that makes me feel clever.

Start with some sticks and string...




Knit up an unlikely looking object...




Fold carefully...




Be surprised...




Sew up shoulders and add buttons...




And you have a Baby Surprise Jacket!




This sweater was knit for my cousin Kath's first grandchild. As Kath and I walked the Cateran Trail last fall she shared with me her excitement about being a grandma. Right away I knew this would be the sweater I would knit to welcome the new baby. Here is Kath, her lovely daughter Katie, and precious baby Inez.




What a beautiful model!

21 comments:

  1. Just lovely! I crochet and would love such a pattern. I'm often surprised, but not in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a very famous pattern, and there are thousands of them posted on Ravelry. Unfortunately there is no crochet version of it that I am aware of.

      Delete
    2. Google the hexagon baby jacket, it is a crochet jacket that looks a lot like bsj but made in two parts.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this pattern, yours looks greatb especially on your lovely model

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so sweet, and I am hoping to get a chance to see her in person this summer. My cousin sent this photo of the 3 of them.

      Delete
  3. Cute sweater, cute baby, and great photo of three generations!

    I've always wondered what kind of drugs EZ was on when she thought up the BSJ, LOL! What a creative, talented woman she was.

    Mary G. in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always thought EZ would have been an engineer had she been born at a later date. I have to admit I am glad she wasn't, or we would not have all the wonderful patterns and ideas she left as a legacy. She was amazing.

      Delete
  4. Anyone who can make that jacket it firing on all cylinders--it's beautiful. Besides, 5-year-olds are more connected to instinct than we are. We've been taught to reason things out...an approach doomed to failure with new gadgets and gizmos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really isn't the making of it that required the brains, it was the original design. I do have to confess that I take some delight in knowing a five year old couldn't have knit it though! :-)

      Delete
  5. My dear friend and fellow knitting buddy LOVES this sweater pattern! I have witnessed her making literally 100 of them over the last few years! I love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My daughter helped me pick the colour out. She isn't a "pink" kind of person, and new mom Katie isn't either, so she knew exactly what would look the best. 100 is a very impressive number of BSJs. Maybe someday I will come close to that, but I doubt it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I know, isn't it just the cutest picture of the three generations?!

      Delete
  7. The grandmother and the mother look like sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - they do look like sisters in this picture!

      Delete
  8. It looks lovely, I have yet to knit that pattern, but I think I must! Glad you got the tv sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A word of warning if you are thinking of knitting it. It is highly addictive, and I don't think it is possible to knit just one! :-)

      Delete
  9. Hi, Kristie,
    Love your version of the BSJ. At my local guild we are having a talk by EZ's niece - it's coming up in July. Are there any questions you would like me to ask her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great opportunity to get to talk with her niece! Let me think on your offer to ask her a question. I will have to come up with a good one. Have you thought about what you will ask her?

      Delete
  10. Lovely BSJ, Kristie. And thanks for the reminder of this great pattern. My sister will be a grandma for the 2nd time this fall, so I need to make another one. Such fun! ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I was able to remind you about the BSJ. Enjoy knitting it!

      Delete