Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Catching Up


The drive home was not nearly as enjoyable as the drive down to see my mom. I listened to an audio book for most of the way, and that helped, but it was still a very long day. Something I don't understand is why going away for just a few days results in me being almost as far behind when I get home as when I am gone for a few weeks. That "being behind" thing is why today's post is going to be a short one.

I had a great visit with my mom. The retirement place she is now living in is nice. It really is. And the people seemed friendly. But...well, I am not sure it is a good fit for my mom. Time will tell. It was pure coincidence that I happened to be reading a book called Younger Next Year For Women at the same time as I was immersed in the retirement home environment. I am only 27% (oh how I wish the Kindle readily displayed page numbers instead of these percentages!) of the way through the book, so it is too early to give it a glowing endorsement, but it has brought up some interesting points so far. One of these is there is a difference between aging and decay.

As I conversed with various residents it seemed to me that they fell into one of two categories, those that seemed very, very old and those whose age you didn't even notice. I visited with Mrs. V who was 95 and she was amazing. She was bright, engaging and full of life. She was aging but not decaying. My mom really enjoys this woman's' company and I could see why. When I talked to my mom on the phone yesterday she told me how much Mrs. V had enjoyed meeting me, and how she went on and on about how beautiful I was (I'm not, and sorry if I made anyone choke on their tea) and how she always wished she had had daughters. This would have been a great self-esteem booster had it not been for one small detail. Mrs. V is legally blind.

The highlight of Mother's Day turned out to be me having a run-in with a Spokane County Sheriff's officer. I mean that quite literally. I was out for a morning walk and he was parked in a driveway. As I walked behind his police car he backed up. Without looking. Into me. The good news is he was going very slow and I was barely touched. I pounded loudly on the back of his car and went around to the passenger side to have a word with him. Was I ever sorry I didn't have my iPhone with me so I could have gotten a picture of the look on his face.

Remember my last trip out of town, the one where I was met at the door by my husband who had accidentally drugged Fergus? Well, once again I was met at the door by my husband. This time it was to tell me that he must not have shut the bedroom door tight. The result was Fergus and Jenny had snuck into the room and had a party with a ball of my sock yarn. It was my one and only skein of Lorna's Laces new Solemate yarn, one I had really been looking forward to trying out. By the time Jay caught the two culprits it was toast. This is the sorry sight that greeted me when I went into the bedroom.




These innocent looks don't have me fooled.





28 comments:

  1. First of all, the fact that Mrs. V is legally blind and saw your beauty means she saw the real thing, bub.

    And oh those doggies. It's a good thing they're cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I tell Fergus multiple times a day that it is a good thing he is so cute. You must have been eavesdropping!

      Delete
  2. Can't stay mad at faces like those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. It is impossible to be too upset. They get away with a lot more than my kids ever did!

      Delete
  3. There's all sorts of beauty -- many of which one doesn't need to see in order to appreciate.

    Silly doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that officer wasn't in too big a hurry. It's strange how often the worst drivers on the road are the ones wearing a badge (at least in DC). Regarding your mom, once she's been there long enough to know for sure, I hope she's honest with the family about how she likes the new place. If there are a few more Mrs. Vs there, she may grow to really enjoy it.

    When partners in crime are cute it gives them a real advantage! I want to be a house dog in my next life. I have to agree with Lori.

    PS - You've given me something to think about regarding the salt comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the appeal of being a house dog. These puppies get away with so much more than our kids ever did!

      Delete
  5. oh no to the yarn party!!!:( I guess it was lucky it was only one ball??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lucky - I only had the one ball in the basket by the bed. I should have known better! :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm just compulsive enough to try to salvage the yarn. :) The little culprits are darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be compulsive too, but trust me. This yarn was toast. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hahah. They totally look sheepish. They know they did wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news about dogs that have such guilty looks when they have been bad is at least I will always know when they have been up to something!

      Delete
  8. Dogs have always done much more damage to my yarn and knitting projects than cats, despite the feline reputation for playing with yarn.

    Mrs. V no doubt perceives voice, carriage, demeanor and overall attitude quite clearly.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been my experience too. Our cat Emily has never once so much as looked at my yarn. The dogs on the other hand...

      Delete
  9. I agree about the Kindle!! Although I appreciate the convenience of carrying several books in a small package for me nothing beats the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have reached the point where I usually prefer reading on the kindle, but there are a few things like page numbers that I miss when using it. I also miss being able to easily flip through pages.

      Delete
  10. I love audiobooks, they make any long trip bearable.
    The pups faces are classic! Of course they're innocent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audiobook definitely helped, so I will be checking them out of the library before every long drive from now on. And the puppies - they might have been trying to look innocent, but trust me, there isn't a day that goes by that they aren't guilty of something. :-)

      Delete
  11. I followed the book title link and read that exercising 6 days per week is rule #1 to aging without decaying - the two exercise programs that I follow both preach the same thing and I think there's a lot of truth to it. As for the "don't eat crap" rule...chocolate doesn't count as crap, does it? I sure hope not! Do let us know what you think of the book when you've finished it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate is the key to long life. :-) If I live to be a hundred and someone interviews me and asks what I attribute my longevity that will be my answer!

      I am curious - what two exercise programs are you following?

      Delete
    2. I started many years ago with a program on PBS called Body Electric (resistance exercises using light hand weights)- see bodyelectrictv.com. A couple of years ago I began to supplement my routine with Classical Stretch (also airs on PBS) which is now my main focus, a stretching and strengthening program taught by a former National Ballet dancer (classicalstretch.com). I absolutely love this! I'm in my mid-50's and am the fittest I have ever been in my life. Still do a few upper body exercises with the weights to keep the old arms nice and toned but my priority each day is a Stretch workout. I highly recommend it to anyone who will listen :-)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the information Ruth - I will check these out!

      Delete
  12. Aieee! That's awful. I've got two cats, but they know they take their life in their paws if they think about touching the yarn. We used a spray bottle of water to train them--not sure if that works with dogs (maybe if they don't like water?). Might be worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spray bottle is a good idea, but would only work if they were caught in the act. In this case the two of them had snuck upstairs and into my bedroom and quietly "partied." :-)

      Delete
  13. NOT THE SOLEMATE!! I'm just knitting with my first skein of that stuff and it's so lovely. That's a shame. Such cute little culprits, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was afraid of. It felt so nice and soft, and the colour was so pretty, Sigh...Maybe I will just have to order some more.

      Delete