Friday, May 18, 2012

Wacky Knitting

When I went to the library today I had my first "in the wild" encounter with yarn bombing. If you haven't heard of yarn bombing before it is best described as a kind of graffiti where the "artists" arm themselves with yarn instead of spray cans. I have seen lots of pictures on the internet of yarn bombings, and some have been very impressive both in the sheer amount of knitting that has gone into them and the ingenuity behind the designs.

But...Well, I have to admit that I just don't get it. This isn't meant to put down anyone who participates, or to be critical. It is just that I personally would not want to put time, effort and good yarn into something that wasn't going to be worn and loved by myself or someone I know. Having said that, I also have to admit it was pretty neat to see the bike rack by the library decorated with such bright colours.





I didn't have to go to the library to see a crazy knitting project though. All I have to do is look up on the top shelf of one of the bookshelves beside my bed. This project is a direct result of my trip to Calgary to see Karsten and Diana. When Diana and I were at Make One Yarn Studio there was a penguin kit that I was very tempted to buy. But I had already bought the sheep mitten kit, so in a rare moment of self-control I walked out of the shop with sheep but no penguins.

When I got home I checked Ravelry and sure enough, there was a penguin pattern just like the one I had seen in Calgary. I had some yellow, black, white and red worsted weight yarn in my stash, so there was no stopping me. At least not until it came to the sewing up of the bits. All that seaming and stuffing is a royal pain.







I made one crucial mistake with this project. I actually knit two penguins, but only sewed up one. I just could not force myself to finish the second one, and now I fear it will spend the rest of its life in pieces, stuffed away in the ziplock bag where it is currently residing.

18 comments:

  1. aaahhhh...cute penguin! I especially love the hat! I'm rather confused by the yarn bombing thing as well although smaller, more subtle examples of it do interest me. I rather like the bike racks, but probably wouldn't take the time to do it. I agree with you...life is to short to knit something that won't be worn or loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The hat was supposed to be striped, but I just couldn't face switching back and forth between two colours so settled for a semi-solid.

      It will be interesting to see how long the yarn bombing lasts before it gets vandalized or, more likely, ruined by the weather.

      Delete
  2. Adorable penguin! I completely understand why he will be living a solitary life! Sewing together any part of a project is my least favorite part - especially such small pieces. As for yarn bombing, I'm with you. But I imagine it would make me smile to see it in the wild! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was so much fun to knit all the parts, but I knew I was going to be in deep trouble when it came time to sew them up. I was right. :-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristie,

    I love the term "yarn bombings." I wish someone comes over and do it around my house. Those bike racks are adorable. I love them!

    The penguin is so cute! Yarns make us warm and loving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you Google "yarn bombing" you can see many examples of it. Some are quite amazing, and look like they must have taken a year to complete.

      Delete
  5. Yarn bombing is lost on me. I see it and have this inner conversation like, "Those could be mittens ... or a hat. Wait, there's enough wool there for a cape! And I hope they didn't use wool because it's going to felt and shrink. But ugh, using acrylic? Who wants to knit with acrylic when there's all this gorgeous wool, alpaca, cashmere, etc., etc." Obviously I'm a fuddy duddy around guerilla art. ;p

    I love your penguin. His hat is perfect. I love to sew, but for some reason when it comes to knitting, I hate seaming too. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your inner conversation sounds exactly like my inner conversation! :-)

      Delete
  6. For some reason I love yarn bombing but will never put the time and effort into doing it. My respect for you has gone up several notches with that penguin! I love stuffed animals too, but all that seaming puts me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been to the library yet to see it?

      As far as your respect for me going up, I think you forgot to subtract points for the dismembered penguin destined to live out its life in a ziplock bag in my closet. :-)

      Delete
  7. The first few pics remind of those long, swirly lollipops...and that I've never tried one. Your penguin turned out very cute. It's a little sad that her brother is sitting in pieces. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her brother is the Humpty Dumpty of the penguin world. As far as those lollipops go, I remember having one as a kid and thinking they were dull. You haven't missed out on anything!

      Delete
  8. Love your penguin. And someday you will finish up #2. I had two pair of socks both without "mates" and they sat in my work basket for too many YEARS - finsihed the one pair on Friday night and about to finish the second pair tonight! Now I can reward myself with starting a new pair!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on finishing those socks! There is a lot of satisfaction in finally getting something off the needles that has been sitting there for ages. And thanks for offering some hope about penguin #2! :-)

      Delete
  9. Yarn bombling does seem like such a waste, but hey, it's a lot better than graffiti! I wonder who cleans it up? Can anyone take it and reuse the yarn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I suspect that in the case of the yarn bombing at the Kamloops library the bombers asked for permission before putting it up. They probably agreed to a certain amount of time before it will be removed. Have you seen it yet?

      Delete
  10. The pinguins are cite as a button...
    as for yarn bombing... When we did it here, we used yarns that are lying around in the stash, but wouldn't get used otherwise, No wood tweed, but all those flashy acrylic eyelash, you have no idea how it meade it into your stash, or asheamed to admit you bought it, but can1t remember what possed you to do so???
    It brightens up otherwise dull places, brings knitting into people attention. Last year some were taken off right away, but I've seen pieces of others for weeks.

    ReplyDelete