Friday, May 25, 2012

Fergus Friday May 25, 2012

When Jenny was a puppy she liked to chew on the occasional stray shoe, and she would tip over garbage cans and rip up bits of paper. But other than that she was a calm, well-mannered puppy. Well, I have to say it is true what they say about bad influences, and the dangers of hanging out with the wrong crowd. In this case, that would be a crowd of one. More specifically, Fergus.

Here are just a few of the supposedly dog-proof toys the two have managed to shred. This shredding usually occurs during their games of tug-of-war.

Legless chicken, shredded football, brainless beaver and cremated ball

This is what I discovered one day last week when I walked into the living room. Busted.




Our response to this wanton destruction is perhaps a bit lenient. New toys quickly replace the ones they ruin. And when they ripped apart their doggy bed we responded by going out and buying them a much bigger and better one. 




Even my yard isn't safe. While I was planting seeds in my garden Fergus and Jenny were in their outdoor doggy pen, a place where they supposedly couldn't get into trouble. Several toys were in the pen with them, but why would they spend their time in the great outdoors ruining their toys when there was a perfectly good lawn to dig up?



This last bit of mischief is my favourite. I have Post-it notes all over the place. I couldn't survive without them. When Fergus gets quiet I get suspicious. I get even more suspicious if he disappears under the dining room table, as that is where he "hides" if he has something he knows he isn't supposed to have. And yes, dogs do know when they are into something they shouldn't be! I went to check on him and saw he had one of my Post-its in his mouth. It took a bit of wrestling to get it away from him.



I swear this next bit is true. When I unfolded the crumpled note this is what it said.


It really is hard to stay upset with him for more than a few seconds.








25 comments:

  1. Hester from AtlantaMay 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM

    Growing up in my household we had a set of Scotties and a set of Carins. They both went through a chew on everything phase until they were about 1 year to 1 1/2 year's old. It was really funny to see my father trying to convince the terrier puppies not to chew on things. We all went to puppy training school. As they got older, the chewing tendancy decreased quite a bit. But every once in a while, something interesting would come their way. Fergus is so cute and reminds me of our dogs when they were puppies. Fondly - Hester from Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine a house with four terriers! Or maybe I should say terrors. :-)

      Delete
  2. Ha! No item of stuffed fabric should ever be called dogproof! Our dachshund Rudy (standard longhair) chewed on everything, especially his bedding, for years. He settled down somewhat by the age of three or four and is now mainly satisfied with ripping up cardboard or paper out of the recycling bin, and of course toilet paper straight from the roll. Underwear out of the laundry basket is another temptation. No nylabones, please, he only wants something he can rip to bits.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention unrolling the toilet paper. Jenny loves to do this, and it is the reason we keep the bathroom does closed at all times. :-) I wonder if that is a dachshund thing??

      Delete
    2. He's the first dachshund I've known to do that, and I've known many of the breed. They do like to chew stuff, though most others have found nylabones quite entertaining - but not Rudy!
      -- stashdragon

      Delete
  3. Omgosh, what a doll face!!! I could not yell at Fergus EVER! You wrote a great blog! Made pefect with great photos! Thanks for a great laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I think it is good Fergus doesn't know he is the "star"of my blog or I think it might go to his head! :-)

      Delete
  4. Haha. Love the part with the note!
    But he is adorable though.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I laughed pretty hard when I read what was on the note. :-) I hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  5. That's the most hilarious thing about the note -- and I don't think I could be mad at Fergus for a minute. Maybe if he completely destroyed (irredeemably so) a sweater I was 95% finished knitting, but I'm not sure. He's mighty cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to get mad at him. Mostly I shake my head and tell him it's a good thing he is so cute. I'm with you on the sweater thing though. If he ever destroys a handknit sweater, being cute will not get him off the hook. :-)

      Delete
  6. That's too funny! But I'm sure even with the trouble, they bring lots of joy. I still think I'll stick to adopting an adult not a puppy though. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about him bringing lots of joy. I find myself laughing at him multiple times a day!

      Delete
  7. what a cute face, how can you be mad at that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is impossible to really be mad at him. :-)

      Delete
  8. Why is it that the bad influences so often win out over the good influences, both with dogs and people??? =)

    They are both so cute! I'm sure Bandit would love to tag-team his toys with another dog. He goes through them fairly quickly, but it still takes longer working on them alone. We've been lucky with Bandit and trashcans, but we don;t take chances--when he sees us put one of his toys into the can, it's time to change the bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Bandit's next toy should be a new puppy. :-)

      And yes, the bad influences winning out over the good tends to happen in the human population too. The thing is, humans aren't as cute as puppies, so they usually get held accountable for their behaviour instead of being bought new toys. :-)

      Delete
  9. Sometimes I wonder just how much they really do know LOL!!! Yup, Fergus needs a puppy class!!! He is too adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they know way more than most people give them credit for. Fergus gets fixed in a few weeks, and I am thinking that I will take him to puppy classes after that.

      Delete
  10. HAHA!! love the post it note! sounds a bit like my 2 year old, when it is quiet I go searching and she is usually hiding under the table 'playing' with the contents of my handbag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that dangerous silence from when my kids were little. Quiet was always the first warning sign of serious trouble! :-)

      Delete
  11. Oh, my!!! He looks too sweet to be a troublemaker.. :)
    I totally understand what you would feel since my parents have 3 doggies and they are so entertaining as well as troublesome. But, again, they make our life way more fun and exciting~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is both sweet and a troublemaker! :-) A lot of his antics are just puppy behaviour, and I am sure that when he grows out of it I will miss all his silliness!

      Delete
  12. Oh, that's too funny about the note! I think you've inspired me to write a blog about how our new kitty Dexter is destroying our furniture. We don't punish him either -- he's too cute. We actually spent $250 on an extra sturdy, extra fun, built-to-last scratching post as a last resort. And he loves it! But he's STILL shredding every piece of upholstered furniture in the house. It's a good thing we don't entertain in our home often -- it would be so embarrassing to have other people see this stuff, LOL. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sympathies to you about the cat destruction. I am looking forward to your blog post about Dexter - it will make me feel better about Fergus! :-)

      Delete