Friday, June 8, 2012

Gym Update

Since my one week free trial membership at the YMCA has expired I thought I should give a quick update. For our first day at the gym Alexandra and I decided to do a circuit class. If, like me, you have no idea what this involves let me explain. There are stations set up around the room, each one involving a different type of exercise. While loud, annoying music plays you are supposed to do the exercise until told to stop. Then, before advancing to the next station, you do a short cardio workout.

This might not sound difficult, but it was. I was sweating profusely before the workout even got started. Here's the thing. The instructor is assuming the class has previous gym experience and will be familiar with the terms and specific exercises. I don't and I'm not. By the time she got to the fourth station, quickly demonstrating at each one what she wanted us to do, I had already forgotten what I was supposed to do at the first three. And there were seventeen stations altogether.

For the first two stations I had to ask her to come show me what I was supposed to do. Once I caught on that the trick was to observe the person in front of me so I would know what to do next the rest of the class went okay. I was pleasantly surprised to find I wasn't even that tired when it was finished. This might have been due to the fact I spent more time watching the person ahead of me than actually working out at the station I was at, but still, as long as you don't count those first two stations I managed not to disgrace myself.

The final verdict on circuit class was Alexandra liked it and will continue. I won't be going back. Aside from the fact I am not a joiner or a group person, it really wasn't what I was looking for. I want two things at the gym (well three, but they don't hand out salted caramels as incentives). One is a place to get a good aerobic workout on days when the weather is too foul to walk outside, and a place to do some strength training.

I had just about decided I was going to bite the bullet and pay a personal trainer to help me put together  a training program when it suddenly occurred to me I had my own personal trainer living under my roof. To be more specific, in my basement. David has spent years training in gyms, and is currently working out in anticipation of trying out for the TRU soccer team this fall. He very nicely said he would help me out, and even got out of bed early two days in a row to go to the gym with me. Doesn't he look cheerful considering the early hour? Not only was he cheerful, he didn't charge me anything.




So, after my free week, I decided to join. I am taking it a month at a time. I like some things about it, like the exercise bikes that tell you your heart rate and adjust the difficulty so you stay in your target heart range. Surprisingly I also like doing the machines. Well, except for the one I can't figure out. But there is one thing I really dislike, and that is touching all that stuff other people have sweated all over. Gross. I feel like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.

Here's my best gym story so far. Alexandra and I were walking in, and I asked her if she needed a quarter for a locker. She said she didn't because she had brought her old padlock from when she was going to TRU.




I asked her if she still remembered the combination and she told me not to worry, then showed me the bottom of the lock.




If you are thinking it doesn't get any more pathetic than that you would be wrong. I borrowed that lock today so I didn't have to waste 25 cents on a locker.

12 comments:

  1. Nice work on the free personal trainer, had to laugh at your very secure padlock though!!!

    Pop over to my blog for some sunshine ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed too when she showed me the padlock. :-)

      And thanks for the sunshine nomination!

      Delete
  2. The padlock story is so funny! But really, who's going to think of looking underneath it for the combination? I reckon it's still secure enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought when I borrowed it. Nobody would ever think of looking there. Hopefully it is a little more secure than hiding the house key under the front mat. :-)

      Delete
  3. I tend to be a little (well, maybe overly is the correct word) security conscious when I'm out, so the lock has me completely flummoxed. But as K wrote, who would think to look???

    You're off to a good start. My wife and I used to belong to the local Y, until it closed. We mostly used the bikes, treadmills and free weights--it minimized our exposure to other people's sweat. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm not the only one bothered by other people's sweat? That's too bad the Y near you closed.

      As far as security goes, we are also the family who always manages to leave at least one door unlocked each night, and I rarely lock the doors when I go out in the day. But I am very careful when I am out. I always lock my car doors, and I definitely want my locker at the gym secure.

      Delete
  4. People are supposed to wipe down the equipment after they have used it. No spray bottles? No paper towels? Ewww... Do you have a pocket to carry your own wipes with you?

    The lock-- LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have pointed out they have wet wipes and dry wipes you are supposed to use after you are done with the equipment, and for the most part it looks like people comply. But even then it gives me the creeps. I am paranoid. :-)

      Delete
  5. I miss going to the gym!

    In a few more weeks, I'll get to get into the pool and go work out again. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did your surgery go? Hopefully you are making a good recovery (and getting lots of knitting in!).

      Delete
  6. I'm not much for the gym, unfortunately. I do use our treadmill here at home when I can, although I almost never enjoy it.

    I'd be too afraid to hire a personal trainer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The treadmill counts! :-)

      My personal trainer, being my son, had very low expectations for his client!

      Delete