Tuesday, June 12, 2012

If I Ran The World

This blog post was inspired by my latest batch of whipped cream. For the first five decades of my life I thought I didn't like whipped cream. I probably shouldn't admit this, but for the first three and a half decades instead of whipped cream I would use Cool Whip. I look back on that artificial topping time as my culinary Dark Age.

Then about three years ago I thought I should give whipped cream a try. Big mistake. I discovered that not only did I like the stuff, I loved it! The second unfortunate discovery I have made is that almost any dessert can be improved with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

As I spooned some whipped cream over fresh raspberries yesterday I had one of my "if I ran the world" thoughts. And, as so often happens, one thought led to another. So here, in no particular order, are five ways the world would be different if I was left in charge.

If I Ran The World:


1. Whipped cream would be a healthful way to meet your daily calcium requirements.

2. Life would have a Free Parking day once a month. I don't mean the kind you find on the street for your car. I mean the Monopoly kind. In real life this would be a day where you had no pressing matters to attend to, no financial transactions or worries of any kind, no meals to prepare, no messes to clean up, and life took care of itself in a most efficient and pleasant manner.

3. Grown-up children would not cause their parents any worry. Until my children were grown-up I suffered from the delusion that this was the way the world really did run. This was no doubt due to brain damage from all that Cool Whip I consumed in my younger years.

4. Moths would only be attracted to acrylic yarn.

5. Fergus and Jenny would always look this angelic.






19 comments:

  1. But I see evil intent in his eyes. Hide the yarn! Oh, all right. Leave the acrylic out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even if the moths won't touch acrylic I'm sure Fergus would chew it up.

      Delete
  2. I consider whipped cream healthful and no one can tell me differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had it minus the sugar I would agree with you. Sadly, I like mine sweetened.

      Delete
  3. But whipped cream IS healthy. It contains Vitamin D. It also, in this home at least, contains no added sugar. Sugar is the evil stuff.
    It is as my Mum used to say, "There is no vegetable that cannot be improved by a little knob of butter." Butter is concentrated cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the problem. In our house the whipped cream has sugar added. I really should try to wean myself off the sweetened whipped cream and have it straight.

      I like your mom's saying about butter. She was right!

      Delete
  4. Ha! The first few lines of this post are too funny. I hate cool whip too. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do feel embarrassed about the fact I used to like the stuff.

      Delete
  5. I have an ever-growing and evolving list of reforms that will take place "when I'm queen" (please note that I am not trying to compete with the real Queen!). Among other things: freezing rain will be banned, as will recreational-use ATV's and snowmobiles; children will be seen and not heard; outdoor icicle lights must come down in January; and on and on and on...I will gladly add your list to mine (if you'll let me add butter to #1)! The doggies sure do look cute, absolutely the prelude to some mischief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have permission to add my list to yours in case you ever get to be queen. :-)

      Delete
  6. Michelle RintoulJune 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

    I agree with you, although I think that your number two would be my number one since I cant eat whipped cream :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you can't eat whipped cream. Are you allergic, or do you just not like it?

      Delete
  7. Cool whip? Wow, that totally changed my picture of you..... ;-) (You see that's tongue in cheek, right?)
    Whipped cream beaters are fought over in this house - and there's only one child involved.

    Your comment about Free Parking made me think of these lines that I wrote in my book quote book. They come from Judith Viorst, in a poem called Twenty Questions.
    "If six days a week I'm responsible
    And self-sufficient and competent and mature,
    On the seventh day could I go find a womb to return to?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My image has been tarnished by the admission. I hope you don't feel too let down now that the ugly truth has been revealed. :-)

      I love the quote!

      Delete
  8. Cool Whip is very American and whipped cream isn't. Did your tastes change or had you perhaps tried a bad store brand of whipped cream and thought that's what it was supposed to taste like???

    With the Free Parking...so my house would automatically dust itself one day a month? You have my vote to run the world! =)

    Sorry about the moths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I was going to say exactly that about Cool Whip being an American thing but I didn't want to offend anybody. I don't like milk so assumed I would feel the same way about cream. Lesson learned - never assume!

      With my version of Free Parking the dust wouldn't even be allowed in your house that day.

      Delete
  9. I've been swinging done vast amounts of whipped cream because my bumbler crop of strawberries requires itt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh strawberries (the real kind, not those out-of-season things from California) are the very best thing to put whipped cream on! Enjoy!

      Delete