Saturday, June 16, 2012

June-uary Blues

I saw the term June-uary used to describe our weather this month. I'm sorry to say it is a good fit. We are on track to set records for the least amount of sunshine, most precipitation and coldest temperatures ever for the month of June, and judging by the extended forecast it won't be hard to do. My garden is suffering, and yesterday while the sun was briefly shining I ripped out some sad looking plants and replaced them with lettuce and carrots, two vegetables that seem to not mind the cool weather. I have a feeling I am going to be very tired of salads by the end of this summer. If this summer ever arrives.

This week I drove down to Vancouver to load my Subaru with Rebekah and Anton's stuff. Anton is moving to Korea in a couple of weeks, and our house is going to double as a storage facility while they are away. I stayed with my dear fibre friend Ellen, and I had plans to show you some great pictures of our yarn dyeing adventure. Unfortunately, due to the fact we needed to do the dyeing outside and there was a little too much June-uary happening, there are no pictures and there is no dyed yarn. We had a wonderful time in spite of the rain though. It gave us an excuse to sit inside, knit, visit, and drink tea.

Loading the car was an interesting experience. Anton is extremely well-organized and had everything boxed up and ready to go. His organizational ability along with the skills I have developed in loading up vehicles (think seven people crammed into a van along with camping gear, food, and clothes multiple times over the years) and we had every nook and cranny filled. It was sort of like a real life version of Tetris. So, instead of lovely pictures of hand-dyed yarn drying in the sun you will have to settle for these. Blame it on the weather.

Front View

Side View


Rear View

11 comments:

  1. Great packing job! I'm impressed! How long are they going to be living in Korea?
    About the weather... maybe we'll have a fantastic July-September and forget all about this soggy, gloomy June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah will be there until next April. I'm not sure about Anton.

      I hope you're right about the weather!

      Delete
  2. Yup, I've got the Juneary blues too. The weather is appalling here, but at least it's not too hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you are having a June-uary too. I would rather it be hot over this rain any day!

      Delete
  3. Oh, you'll be dying your yarn. I'd like to see the result! For me, after that experience in Takasaki, I want to dye everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you discovered when you made your scarf, dyeing fibre is a lot of fun! If my friend and I dye our yarn next time I visit her I will be sure to post pictures.

      Delete
  4. The weather is rubbish here in Scotland too, even have to put the heating on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty sad to have to use the heating in June. Let's hope July is a better month!

      Delete
  5. We've been unseasonably cool here too--in the upper 70s, low 80s. It has been nice. We're supposed to be back to normal (in the 90s) this week. Hopefully BC's weather will get back to normal too.

    I miss the days when all of my stuff would fit into a Subaru. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding? Upper 70s, low 80s would be a heat wave here given our current weather.

      I miss those days too. Life was much simpler before so much STUFF accumulated. :-)

      Delete
  6. Ugh. It's disappointing to hear your weather has been so defiant! I hope the sun starts to work it's way into your sky

    ReplyDelete