Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Double Eighty

I have just returned from a visit to my mom's. Karsten and Diana were also there, so it was fun being able to visit with them at the same time. My cousin Kath (she did the Cateran Trail in Scotland with me last year, and to date has the distinction of being my only guest blogger) was throwing a party. The cause for celebration? Her parents both turned 80 this year. We were jokingly calling it a 160th birthday party!

Kath, Uncle Marsh and Aunt Joyce


My Aunt Joyce and Uncle Marsh were a huge part of that idyllic childhood I have referred to before on my blog. Next to my parents and grandparents they were the adults who had the most influence on my life. I still find them to be very inspirational people. My Aunt Joyce rides her exercise bike on a regular basis, and my Uncle Marsh has a workout routine he does several times a week. The day before the party he had gone on a lengthy bike ride and had also been out kayaking on the lake for an hour. He told me that didn't count as one of his exercise days though!


The party was split between their summer home and Kath's permanent home on Lake Pend Oreille near Sandpoint, Idaho. This was easy to do since the two houses sit right next to each other. This is the view from the deck. I really miss northern Idaho...




I love this picture of my mom and aunt - two sisters deep in conversation.


Aunt Joyce on the left, my mom on the right

It was fun seeing relatives I hadn't seen in years, and in some cases decades. It was also a bit confronting to see how much everyone had aged. Even more confronting was knowing they were looking at me thinking the same thing. At the end of the day while we were having our dessert several family members sang some songs. I was not among them (I think I might have been the original inspiration for the expression "can't carry a tune in a bucket.")

Lois on the left, Dan on the right

All I can say is it is good we are a family with a sense of humour. Not because of the singing itself, but because of what happened during the singing. Kath and Jack have a Golden Lab named Mike. Mike is still really a puppy, so I guess he can be forgiven for upstaging the performers. During the first song Mike wandered over to a chair and threw up under it. He was promptly removed and that seemed to be the end of it. Mike, however, had clearly enjoyed his two seconds of fame. When the next performer was singing Mike wandered back to the chair and ate what he had just rejected. It was one of those horrible moments when I knew all was lost. I started laughing uncontrollably, and no matter how many sad and awful things I tried to picture to make myself stop I just couldn't. The good news was I was not alone.

Now I am back in Kamloops, and the lake, family and my beloved northern Idaho all seem very far away. I think I would have been content to sit on that deck for the rest of the summer. Well, as long as I had my knitting. Happy 160th birthday Uncle Marsh and Aunt Joyce. It was wonderful being there to celebrate with you!



18 comments:

  1. I have to admit, stories like this always make me a wee jealous - the extended family, the family place, the connections - not something I have had much experience with.

    Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are building those memories now though with Bushboy, and that is such a great thing!

      Delete
  2. I love the lake cabin. Wish I was there too. Looks like there was beautiful weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have loved it - it was the perfect day in terms of weather. You would have enjoyed visiting with Katie too. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a gorgeous spot!! Looks like a wonderful family occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous, and when I am away from it for awhile I always forget just how beautiful it really is. Then when I go back I don't want to leave!

      Delete
  4. Wow, such a beautiful place for the special event. The best part is seeing how happy they are together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are very happy together. i think they are like my parents were - each other's best friend.

      Delete
  5. Such a gorgeous place!!! And from the pics I can fel all the way here you all had a greta time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very beautiful spot, and yes, we had a wonderful time!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful, beautiful time! Of it all -- and I love every bit, even Mike -- my favorite is the photo of your mom and sister in conversation. I can imagine sitting by that lake for the rest of the summer too, and imagine how you must miss it.

    And wow, every single person there seems to have hit the jackpot. How lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Every person there has most certainly hit the jackpot - surrounded by people they care about in a place that is so incredibly beautiful.

      Delete
  7. oh wow... i have the sudden urge to take a week off of work and knit by a lake. looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is I didn't actually knit while I was there, which is a rare thing for me. I knew there was just going to be too much going on to focus on my knitting. And I think you should definitely take a week off and go relax by a lake. :-)

      Delete
  8. I loved the photos - the family, the surrounding mountains the blue sky, the sunshine - just beautiful! What a wonderful celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful - my cousin Kath had done such a great job with the organizing. The best thing though was seeing my aunt and uncle looking so great as they turned 80.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for writing the blog on Mom and Dad's 160th birthday! Mom asked me to copy it. It makes a wonderful keepsake of her and Dad's special day! Send me those pic's, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having us! It was a wonderful day. I will email you the pictures I took.

      Delete