Friday, July 20, 2012

Fergus Friday July 20, 2012


I see it has been awhile since I last did a Fergus Friday post. Time for an update! Fergus is now seven months old. Lots has been going on in his little puppy world since I last blogged about him.

He has successfully completed puppy school. No credit goes to his negligent owner for this accomplishment. It only took one class to figure out that waiting until the night before class to "study" doesn't work with dogs. The humiliation of seeing Fergus look like he was a few kibbles short of a full meal was incentive enough to work consistently with him on a daily basis for the remainder of the time.

It really helped that there was a nasty miniature schnauzer in the class. That dog made the others shine in comparison. Fergus can now sit, touch my hand, stay for about three seconds (okay, this needs some work) and come when called. The qualifier here would be to say he only does these things when there are no distractions and he gets treats, but it's a start. He also managed to have the distinction of being the only puppy who pooped in every single class.

Fergus has also visited the dog park. It is an off leash, fully fenced-in area where dogs can romp around and socialize. Fergus loves the dog park once he gets there, but the walk from the car to the park seems to fill him with terror. Here he is at his first visit.


Fergus and Jenny continue to cause trouble. Their latest trick is to charge out the front door when it gets opened. They tear up the street, looking back every few seconds to be sure their people are running after them in a panic. It is like a scene from The Incredible Journey, minus the cat (Emily hates Fergus and Jenny, and wouldn't lower herself to be seen in public with them). Do not let these innocent faces fool you!



There have been a couple new experiences Fergus has not enjoyed. Three weeks ago Fergus got fixed. Here is some career advice - if making lots of money is high on your list of priorities, seriously consider becoming a veterinarian. Fergus has also had his first grooming appointment. When we got there he was even unhappier than this picture portrays. I think poor Fergus thought he was headed back to the vet to get fixed again. As it turns out, that experience was probably less traumatic than the groomers. At least they knocked him out at the vet's.




When I went back to pick him up I couldn't believe the change in his appearance! He looks 100% Westie now, and all grown-up.  






Best of all, his ears now fit his head, which is a huge relief. I was getting worried he might take after the Hammond side of the family. They are known for having goofy ears.


13 comments:

  1. He's so cute (and his ears are perfect)! I remember when our German Shepherd puppy's oversized ears first began to stand up properly, they actually slanted toward centre and crossed at the tips. Not a good look! Luckily for both my self-esteem and his, they did correct themselves with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious about your German Shepherd's ears! I hope you got some pictures while they were like that!

      Delete
  2. I don't know why, but I like the before photos best. Perhaps because he looks more roguish??? He looks like a healthy (and regular) puppy.

    Bandit doesn't like the dog park. He doesn't understand dogs. But he's older now, maybe it's time to try again (even though my wife and kids are set against it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comment below this was meant for you Rick. I'm not sure what happened!

      Delete
  3. I think Fergus would side with you simply because the scruffy look would mean he didn't have to go back to the groomers. :-)

    Dog parks can be a mixed bag. It is a great place if every dog owner there is following the rules and keeping close watch on their dogs. It only takes one negligent owner - the kind who thinks it is cute if their huge dog chases or intimidates the other dogs at the park - to turn it into a nightmare situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fergus, what a fine Scottish name! As a lover of all things Scottish/celtic I simply adore your little man! Before we adopted our Russian Blue sisters (who have fine Russian names Misha and Raina) I had a lovely tiger named Fiona. Gaelic for "Fair One"....and she was!

    His ears are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually took me awhile to pick his name. I had lots of great suggestions for names from blog commenters, but in the end pretty much everyone agreed he looked like a Fergus. I like the names Misha and Raina. I haven't heard the name Raina before.

      Delete
  5. I love reading your posts about Fergus. They remind me of MY Fergus who was my first Westie and the best dog ever! Seems many Ferguses are alike..... Mine, too, loved to make a break for it out the front door causing me many heart palpitations and I was convinced he would never grow into the ears. But he did! Your Fergus is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be some streak of mischief in Westies named Fergus! I'm glad reading about my Fergus brings back such nice memories of yours.

      Delete
  6. Oh, our little Fergus is growing into a fine young doggie. (You know he's "ours" too, don't you? Thanks for sharing him with all of us on Fergus Fridays.) Such a cutie pie! I was thinking of going to one of our local dog parks to take pictures of dogs playing. Do you think the dog owners would have any objection to a stranger hanging around taking pics of their dogs? (Is it anything like how human parents react to people taking pictures of their kids in public? I know that's touchy.) ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I guess Fergus is becoming a blog community pet! I don't see how anyone could have any objections to you taking pictures at the dog park. Careful though! Too many trips to the dog park and you will start Googling some of the breeds you see, and, well, one thing leads to another... :-)

      Delete
  7. What happens when he and Jenny hare out the front door and you hare after them? How far do they get? And how do you catch them? Kristy we need to know these things, in order to milk maximum giggles from the images you conjure ;)

    He is growing up into such a handsome fellow, proportionate ears and all :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they make their "great escape" they used to just run across the street. That was scary enough since they have no road sense whatsoever. Thankfully we live in a fairly quiet neighbourhood. Now they are getting braver, and the last time they went out the door they ran clear up the street, then headed around the corner before my husband caught up with them. I'm not sure how he did it, but picture a 6'4" guy chasing a miniature dachshund and Westie puppy and you can get an idea of how ridiculous it must have looked. :-)

      Delete