Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Old Dog, New Tricks

Sorry to disappoint, but this post is not about Fergus. If it was it would have to be titled New Dog, No Tricks. No, this post is about me and my quest to learn new things and challenge myself by stepping out of my comfort zone. My comfort zone basically consists of my kitchen and my computer desk, so I don't have far to go to cross the boundary line.

Last night was the first martial arts class since I blogged about trying it out. All weekend I went back and forth about whether to give it another try. In the end I decided I would not be happy with myself if I didn't at least give it one more week. Am I ever glad I went! First of all, there was another woman there, and she just started last November. She was well beyond her twenties, and was incredibly encouraging. There were also a couple other newbies, so I didn't feel like the odd one out.

But here's the best part! At one point I was paired up with the female instructor during an exercise. She said she noticed the t-shirt I was wearing last week had a knitting sheep logo on it (it's from the Loopy Ewe) and she wondered if I was a knitter. I said yes and she said she is a knitter too. We got all excited in that weird way that knitters do when they discover each other in the wild. Here's the best part though. I asked her what she liked to knit and she said socks! This is almost enough in itself to keep me going back to the class. And yes, I still enjoyed the hitting.

I have also been stepping out of my comfort zone with my sock knitting. The new Knitty has a great sock pattern called Longitudinal. They are knit in garter stitch, and constructed in a completely different way than any socks I have ever attempted. I dug through my stash and found some Knit Picks Felici self-striping yarn and cast on.



These were fast and fun to knit. So much fun that I ordered some Crazy Zauberball, the yarn the pattern calls for, and have cast on my second pair already. The longer colour runs on the Zauberball make for a much nicer sock than the Felici. Plus I now know to take out a few rows to make them a bit smaller. Still, I am very happy with the way pair #1 turned out.



I wonder what I should try next. I'm open for suggestions...

23 comments:

  1. that's awesome--i'm glad you went to a second week of the martial arts lessons!
    and those socks look beautiful, i wonder how the garter stitch feels to step on, though? i had a pair of handknit socks with what looked like a seed stitch bottom, and after some time the texture was a bit painful to wear when i had a lot of standing or walking to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered what the garter stitch would feel like too, but for the short time I had them on they felt very nice. They have a cushiony, squishy feel to them. It will be interesting to see how I like them when I wear them for a whole day.

      Delete
  2. Love the socks, thanks for the review on the pattern.

    Really glad you went back to the class. I took self defense classes and loved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of self defence did you do? It seems like there are so many different kinds, and every one claims to be the best. :-)

      Delete
    2. Karate, although it wasn't strict karate as it was focused on women's self defense specifically. It was at the dojo my son has since joined.

      Delete
    3. Karate was one of the martial arts I was considering.

      Delete
  3. OK, now I must try making those socks! Time to look in the stash for the right yarn. Good job on going back to class. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you knit them please do a blog post about them. I will be curious to know if you like them as much as I do. Several people on Ravelry have posted theirs.

      Delete
  4. "In the wild" LOL! Those are crazy cool socks. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to someday experience one of these "in the wild" meet-ups. Maybe National Geographic will do a special. :-)

      Delete
  5. You must try quilting....definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's a good suggestion, but I have anaphylactic reactions to anything to do with sewing. Even sewing up penguin bits, which is why I still have a dismembered penguin.

      Delete
  6. those socks look great, going to give them a try, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! They are a lot of fun (well, except for having to figure out Judy's Magic cast-on).

      Delete
  7. What to try next? Get a Cat Borhdi book (any of her sock books or her moebius book) and try one of her FANTASTIC sock tech. etc. Or in her moebius book there is an awesome cowl or if you felt - moebius felted baskets.

    I think I might have to give that sock you just did a try after I have done a couple more Cat Borhdi socks from her book I just got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat Bordhi is a great suggestion! I have always felt a bit intimidated by her stuff, but maybe I should get brave and give one of her sock patterns a try.

      Delete
  8. Good on you for trying out new things! Do we get a picture of the Zauberball socks too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a picture of the Zauberballs as soon as I get them finished. I am almost finished with sock #1. I am loving how they are turning out!

      Delete
  9. Go you!!! I am in awe and actually quite envious (I have RA, martial arts classes would not be a good idea!) Love the socks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't be in awe. If you could see how pathetic I am you wouldn't be! :-)

      Delete
  10. Ooooh, those are beautiful socks. I've had my eye on Longitudinal. I even have a Crazy Zauberball that might do the trick. But there are SO MANY socks I want to knit right now! I cannot cast all of them on.

    I think it's awesome you went back to the martial arts class, too! It's always tough trying something new in a group of strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, thanks for pointing out that pattern, Kristie! I love my traditional hand-knitted socks, but they take me sooo long that I only have a few pair. I think I'm going to give this pattern a try. How do they feel though? They don't seem that they'll be as comfortable around the toes -- feedback? ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind...I just saw what you wrote about them on your Ravelry project page. Added to my queue!

      Delete