Saturday, July 14, 2012

Wing Chun

I am exhausted. It is Saturday morning and I am sitting out on my back deck with my iPad and a cup of tea. Isn't this the greatest mug ever? It was a gift from my friends John and Gill in England.




Anyway, back to the reasons I am exhausted. Yesterday afternoon Starbucks was giving out free drinks, promoting their newest offering called Refresher. It is a cold fruit drink but also has an extract from green coffee beans in it. The problem with this is coffee and I are not friends. So why did I think a drink made with coffee extract would be okay? Two reasons - it was hot out (37C, or 99F) and I am way too frugal to pass up a free drink.

Big mistake. After spending the afternoon feeling like I wanted to slap somebody (coffee does this to me), I spent a sleepless night cursing my stupidity. Still, this probably wouldn't have been enough to do me in had it not been for the day previous to the consumption of the ironically named Refresher drink.

For several years now I have wanted to take up martial arts. Several things have kept me from moving forward with this. I wanted the right martial arts program, it had to be at a reasonable time, and I didn't want to drive to the other side of Kamloops. I was pretty excited when I saw the YMCA offered Wing Chun, a form of Kung Fu, twice a week. It is just what I have been looking for, but still I kept putting off signing up.

This past week I finally decided to give it a try. Thursday night was my first class and, not to brag or anything, but it took a lot of courage just to show up. It might have been easier had it been a class filled with martial arts newbies like myself, but it is an ongoing class. That meant there would be people there who knew what they were doing. People who could hurt me.

The instructors are a husband and wife team, and they were so kind and patient. And trust me, they needed patience when it came to showing me some of the basics. Who knew there was so much thinking involved in martial arts? The class was an hour and fifteen minutes long, which is about a half hour longer than my brain had the capacity to process new information.

The other students were all really nice too, even though I am sure they wondered what this 55 year old woman was doing there. Oh, did I forget to mention the fact they were all men, and with the exception of one guy who looked to be in his early forties were all twenty somethings? Picture me blocking punches thrown by a hulked up 25 year old guy with tattoos running down his arm and you can see why I was slightly out of my comfort zone.

The good news is I survived. The class is twice a week, which is a pretty big time commitment. Plus it is in the evening, and at 6:00 PM I automatically turn into a hermit, making it very difficult to do anything at night. So here I sit with my cup of tea, trying to decide if I will go back on Monday night. I know I have forgotten everything they so patiently taught me, so returning means I will have to suffer the humiliation of having to learn it all over again. But you know what? It felt really good to hit something, even if it was just the padded blocker Mr. Tattoo was holding up. And that was before I had that Refresher drink.

This picture doesn't have anything to do with this blog post, but I didn't want anyone to think I have stopped knitting. I actually have a couple of finished projects to show you, but will start with these. I love this Knucks pattern from Knitty, and have knit it many times. Here is my latest pair. And just think, if I decide to go back to the Wing Chun class these hands could become lethal weapons. Or I could just order a Refresher at Starbucks. If the small made me want to slap somebody, imagine what the large would do!



14 comments:

  1. I read the part about you being in a class of mostly 20 YO guys and I CRACKED UP! I keep envisioning it and giggling to myself. You are brave! I would not be able to do something like that myself, especially by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you want to go with me? It's on Monday and Thursday nights at 7:15. If it is funny reading about it just think how funny it would be to see in person!

      Delete
  2. Rocky Balboa wore gloves like that. :) It would be nice if you could find someone to go with you. That type of hitting is good physically and mentally. As a kid, my best friend was a boxer and we were always using the punching bag his dad hung in their basement.

    The heat alone might be enough to put me in a mood to slap someone. I definitely prefer cool weather--I'm a fall person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I'm not sure Rocky Balboa is what I am aiming for. :-)

      As for the heat, I love it. But we don't have the high humidity like you do. It makes a huge difference.

      Delete
  3. Kristie,

    I tried herbal tea on and off in the past, but I was never fond of them. But lately I really want to cut down on caffeine, so I ordered mint tea at Starbucks last week, and to my surprise, it was good. I liked the smell. So, when I went to another Starbucks today, I ordered chamomile tea. I think it was called Calm. Again, I liked it. So,I'm happy today for liking something healthy, so I ate some chocolate.

    Also, to cut down on caffeine, my doctor in Japan told me to switch green tea to houji cha. It's roasted tea. So, I bought it, but I haven't open the package yet. I'm afraid if I drink only one cup and going back to coffee. I love coffee. I still drink one cup of coffee every morning.

    About marshal arts, I just saw the following on Facebook. Enjoy!
    http://youtu.be/fda_NCFFR9Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion for the roasted tea. I don't think i have ever tried it. I don't think it is the caffeine that bothers me so much as the other things coffee contains. I can drink multiple cups of black tea and be fine. A half a cup of coffee will do me in. And if you enjoy your morning cup of coffee I think you should keep drinking it. :-)

      Thanks for the video link. I will check it out.

      Delete
  4. I drank a cup of something once, 15 years ago, that left me clinging to the bedspread trying to hold myself down all night -- it felt like my heart was pounding hard and fast enough to lift me off the bed and fly me around the room. That's just the worst feeling, and there's nothing to do but wait it out. And you are brave brave brave (braver than me!)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your description of clinging to the bedspread, trying to hold yourself down. That is how I felt in the afternoon right after drinking it, only it was the patio table I was clutching.

      And I am not brave. Not even close!

      Delete
  5. Drink a "refresher" before you go to class - you'll be a match for any number of twenty-year-olds!
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only be a match until I had a heart attack. :-)

      Delete
  6. That drink from Starbucks sounds like my kind of drink....in the AM not PM! I have restless leg syndrome and I shut the caffine faucet off around noon and switch to good tasting water.

    I love your mug! We were in Niagara On The Lake in June and I have shot myself over and over for not getting a Jubliee Queen mug! Can't find them here in the US. Hate shoping on line!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I didn't even think about getting a Jubilee mug to go with my Coronation tea cup. And my husband just returned from England, where I am sure they were clearing them out at reduced prices to make way for the Olympic mugs.

      Delete
  7. You are a braver gal than I, I'd have to be dragged into a martial arts class, unless Tai Chi counts, which I suppose it does at full throttle, but not the way I do it! Go you! Oh, and nice mitts too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tai Chi counts, and if I decide this class is too much Tai Chi might be what I try next. But I don't think they let you hit things in Tai Chi, and I would miss that part. :-)

      Delete