Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Helpful Hiking Hints

First of all I want to say thank you for everyone's kind comments on my last post. They were very much appreciated. I find one cure for feeling sad is to get out in nature. Yesterday Kellen, Anita and I went up to Sun Peaks to do some hiking, and by the time our adventure was over I was feeling much better.

The chairlift takes you up to the start of the trail. It is a weird experience to ride a chairlift in the summer. For one thing, without the snow it is a lot farther down to the ground than in the winter. And I am not keen on heights!

This is the time of the year that the alpine meadows are filled with wildflowers - lupines, tiger lilies, Indian paintbrush, cow parsnip, wild rhododendrons, heather, asters, daisies and more. When you walk through a thick patch of lupines the air is thick with a sweet scent and the hum of bees. I wish there was a way to capture that along with the scenery in these pictures.


Kellen and Anita at the start of the trail


Me, surrounded by lupines and Indian paintbrush

The white lupine was only in this one patch




Nearing the peak

Kellen and I at the peak


I love this picture. Kellen and I look the same height, at least until you look at our feet. The elevation was 2152 meters (7060 feet), which explained why I was a bit winded by the time I got to the top. Now I have three helpful hints for hiking.

1. If you lift up your arm to smell it, checking to see if you still have bug repellant on because the mosquitoes seem to be having a picnic on it, be sure to not lift it so high you obstruct your vision and end up tripping over a rock and falling head first onto the trail.

2. If you need to take a bathroom break it might be best to not choose a spot right after the trail has forked. Just because there isn't anyone on the trail behind you does not mean there isn't anyone on the trail above you. 

3. If you decide it would be fun to get a picture of yourself standing in the snow in August,




and you laugh at your son when he gets mired down in a muddy spot as he steps off the patch of snow, be very careful you don't do the same thing when you step off the snow patch.




The climb down took a fraction of the time the hike up the mountain did. On the way down we went by this picturesque alpine lake.

Tod Lake

Five hours, 13 kilometers and quite a few mosquito bites later we were back at the chairlift, ready to head down the mountain. It was a picture perfect day.








14 comments:

  1. wow what a beautiful hike, i can't wait for the weather to cool down around my parts so i can go on one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done. I hope you get some hiking in soon too!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day, what gorgeous photos, and I did LOL at your handy tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day! The most important tip is the one about not blocking one's view and falling forward. I was lucky I didn't break my arms when I went down! :-)

      Delete
  3. what a wonderful place to walk, all those flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People come from all over the world to see the wildflowers up at Sun Peaks. I am lucky to live so close!

      Delete
  4. Wow, it's so beautiful there. I have to drive quite a distance to see anything remotely resembling that.

    The patch of snow seems like a trap, luring hikers into the mud! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that doesn't make sense is why I, a resident of a land covered in snow and ice for a good part of the year, felt it would be interesting to get a picture of myself standing in a patch of snow! :-)

      Delete
  5. Nothing like a goood hike to shift a low mood. I'm sure that your dad was very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - I felt so much better at the end of the day than I did at the beginning.

      Delete
  6. Oh my...what a gorgeous soul healing place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and I am lucky to live within an hour's drive from the start of the hike!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous place! I wanna live near the mountains!! (Can you hear me whining?) Thanks for sharing those awesome pictures.

    Your tip about bathroom breaks on the trail reminded me of this story: My sister and her daughter were hiking. My sister needed to use the bathroom, so after looking both directions and stationing her daughter as a lookout, she got down to business, so to speak. A moment later her daughter started giggling and pointing behind her. Turns out there was a guy on horseback in a field staring right at my sister's bare backside! Now she knows to check EVERY direction, not just on the trail, LOL. ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come visit me and I will take you up there hiking to help make up for your lack of mountains. I have lived in a place that wasn't near mountains just once in my life and I didn't like it. Not even a little bit. Mind you, it was in the far north and had many bad features in addition to there being no mountains.

      That's a funny story about your sister, and makes me feel a bit better about my miscalculation. :-)

      Delete