Sunday, August 19, 2012

Out and About

There have been a few things that have happened over the past couple of weeks that I have meant to blog about but am only now getting around to. Now, I know I lean a little more to the OCD end of the rating scale than most people, but even so I think this was over the top. A couple weeks ago in the gym change room I looked under the bathroom door to see if it was vacant. It wasn't, and this is how I could tell. The person using it had her iPod and earbuds sitting at her feet. On the bathroom floor. A public bathroom floor.

The next day I was at Costco, standing in line waiting to pay. A movement behind me caught my eye and when I looked back there was a guy rummaging through his billfold looking for something and while he was doing so he was holding a $5 bill in his mouth so he could use both hands.

Am I just paranoid, or are these things that most people would never do? I know I would never do them, but maybe I'm the person who is over the top and the two people I saw are the normal ones.

My next "out and about" story is much nicer. I was at the grocery store waiting to pay (it sounds like I am in line at stores a lot, but really it is only once a week when I shop) and there was this lovely older lady ahead of me. She was probably in her mid-eighties, and was one of those woman who "put on their face" even if they are just popping out for some bread and milk. Her outfit was gorgeous and her face had carefully applied make-up. This was in direct contrast to the person standing behind her in line.

As she pulled out her charge card to insert in the machine I was thinking how challenging it must be for older people who have to deal with all the new technology and ways of doing business. She had trouble entering her PIN and was saying how she was always forgetting it even though she used the same one for all her accounts. The cashier and I glanced at each other and shared an "oh, isn't she sweet?' look between us.

It was what happened next that took us totally by surprise. When she reached into her purse I was expecting her to pull out a piece of paper with her number on it. Instead she whipped out an iPhone, flicked her fingers across it like she had been doing it all her life, and then entered her PIN for her charge card. As the elegant elderly lady wheeled her cart away the cashier turned to me, a look of shock on her face, and said she was also totally expecting the lady to pull out a piece of paper, not an iPhone. Silly us.

This next item happened right outside our house, but I am going to count it in the "out and about" department anyway. We had a huge hail storm a few weeks ago. The hail stones were the biggest I have ever seen. Now I realize that there are places in the Midwest and the Prairies that have much worse storms than the one we had, but on a Kamloops scale this was pretty epic. I wanted to get a picture for my blog so braved getting pelted and quickly ran out to take this.




It isn't just when I go out for walks on the trail that I have to be on the watch for wildlife. If I do my neighbourhood walk I have to constantly remind myself to look up before walking under the lampposts. Here's why.




My final "out and about" happened yesterday. I was at the Kamloops Farmer's Market doing my usual Saturday shopping. I happened to look over at a lady selling fruit and spied one lone basket of sour cherries on her table! It is almost impossible to find sour cherries and I dearly love them. Here they are, baked my new favourite way for doing crisps, in 250ml canning jars.





There are three people eating dinner here tonight and four jars with cherry crisp in them. I definitely think the extra one should go to the person who pitted all those cherries.

21 comments:

  1. I hope those are things most people would never do. So gross! I wonder if that lady would let her earphones touch that floor? Yuck! As for the money, it's all dirty, so I wouldn't put it in my mouth. Plus, as a courtesy to others, I wouldn't do it even if I knew the money was sterile.

    That's a cute story about the older lady, but she probably shouldn't tell people she uses the same code for everything.

    Birds on lamp posts! I wish I'd read this several months ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing about her saying she used the same code for everything. Sorry I didn't post earlier about the birds on the lampposts. Is this a story I will be reading about over at your blog? :-)

      Delete
    2. A bird got me just before summer started...it gave me a story to share in early June. Very lucky! =)

      Delete
  2. Crisp for breakfast is my first thought!

    Hmmm, if I'm totally honest I could see putting money in my mouth. I do it unconsciously with pens all them time, although I try hard not to do it at work. I do avoid putting things on the bathroom floors, although often that is more out of concern of someone scooping it when I'm in malls, etc.

    And you are ever so thoughtful getting a hail picture for the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! That is exactly what I am doing with the extra crisp - having it for breakfast! Next to pie it is my favourite breakfast. And it does have fruit in it, so it must be healthy, right? :-)

      Delete
  3. I love the story about the older woman!

    The cherry crisp looks delicious. :) What a job that must have been! We have a ton of sweet cherries in our stores here, but sour cherries are rare. Like you, I love them and wish the stores carried more of them.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often thought it would be a good business idea to plant some sour cherry trees and market the cherries. So many people love them it, and I know they would sell.

      Delete
  4. Oh I hope you did claim that 4th jar -- that looks delicious!

    And as for your thoughts on the iPod on the bathroom floor and the money in the mouth: OMG, gross!!! If that makes me OCD, then so be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to report I have eaten the fourth jar. :-)

      Delete
  5. I call gross too. My son and I have a contest of sorts -- what percentage of people use a public bathroom and don't bother washing their hands when leaving? It's about 50 percent. The grossest thing I've ever seen, though, was a mother changing her kid's poopy diaper on a table at Target's snack bar. (And yes, it was poopy. The smell alerted us to the sight.)

    On that note ... yum! Cherry crisp! This is the third time I've seen someone make crisp in canning jars this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pointed out to my youngest son once that people don't usually wash their hands after using the bathroom and he started to take notice at his university. A few days later he told me I was right. He was totally grossed out. That's disgusting about the lady in Target. Ewww...

      I think it is a fairly new thing to use canning jars for baking. There are lots of great ideas for baking with them. The thing is, you have to use the newer kind of 250 ml (8 ounce) jars. They are wider and shorter. It saves people fighting over who gets the biggest serving of dessert! :-)

      Delete
  6. so what is Cherry Crisp, looks very good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crisps are fruit with a topping, usually made with oatmeal, butter, brown sugar and some kind of flour. You probably have a similar thing in Britain but have a different name for it. Here is a link for a cherry crisp recipe so you can see what it is like. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cherry-crisp-10000001816335/

      Delete
  7. Oh what a darling idea! I think I am going to steal that idea from you the next time I make a crisp (be it apple, peach, cherry or blueberry). Thank you!

    That is some BIG hail pieces. Did it dent your vehicles at all?

    Ah, the gathering of the birds has begun here in Central NY - cooler nights and shorter days....... things are changing. Suspect the fall colors will come fast and leave quick ----- due to drought conditions.

    I am hungry now. Thanks - grrrrr :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you use the jars be sure you buy the newer style of 250 ml (8 ounce) jars. They are shorter and wider. It is fun to bake with them - there are lots of ideas on the internet.

      I was worried about our vehicles and our sky lights, but everything was okay. And yes, fall is just around the corner. It's my favourite season!

      Delete
  8. Just curious. . . if you feel that currency is so contaminated, do you wash your hands afterwards every time you handle it? Yes, I feel that placing anything on the floor of a public bathroom is gross (not to mention a good way to get that something stolen), but generally people in our contemporary society underestimate the power of their immune systems. Much of our fear of contagion stems from psychological quirks ("eeuw - strangers might touch me!") even more than from medical rationale.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By default I end up washing my hands after handling money because I wash my hands whenever I get home from shopping. My youngest daughter takes medication that suppresses her immune system, and has for years. I think that is one of the main reasons I am so careful.

      Delete
  9. If you love sour cherries you should coe here around mid-late june or so... there are a LOT of them in this country :-)
    I was thaught to wash my hands after handling money, not to put it into my mouth and be very, very careful of public bathrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love to come when you have all the sour cherries! Do you use them in a lot of things? I am jealous!

      Delete
  10. I think crisp is what we'd call crumble, or cobbler in the UK. An apple version is on the menu here at the weekend.

    I'm obviously really OCD ... I prefer to pay with a card and avoid public lavatories (in the UK bathrooms are the one's in our homes.)

    Oh the intricacies of all these different Englishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Annie, I think you call it a crumble. Are a crumble and a cobbler the same in the UK? Here they are different. The topping for what we call a cobbler is more of a biscuit, and the crumble/crisp the oatmeal, brown sugar/butter combination. Both are wonderful. Maybe I will drop by for some of your apple crumble this weekend. :-)

      The differences in English continue. In Canada a public toilet is usually referred to as a washroom. It is actually Americans who call it a bathroom. When I wrote that post I started to type washroom and changed it. I have a lot of American readers and wanted to make clear what I was talking about. I'm not sure if you use the expression washroom in Britain.

      Delete