Thursday, September 13, 2012

Kimbap, Jjimbak, Moonies and More

I made my way to "my" coffee shop this morning debating whether or not it was raining hard enough to open my umbrella. This shouldn't be that difficult of a decision, but honestly, I am a total klutz when it comes to walking with an umbrella. It is like a dance I can't figure out the steps to.

Anyway, imagine my surprise when I walk in and see three middle-aged white guys at the coffee shop. The odd thing, and what I should have picked up on right away, was they didn't act surprised to see a middle-aged white woman walk in. They smiled, said hi, and when I sat down they asked me if I wanted to join them. I said I couldn't, that I was here to write. I asked them what they were here for and let me tell you, if ever there was a conversation stopper this was it. They had come over from the US for the Reverend Moon's funeral. I had stumbled upon Moonies! The funniest and scariest thing was when one of them apologized for inviting me to sit with them. These were his words. "Sorry, I thought you were one of us." WTF?! He thought I looked like a Moonie?

Anton dutifully showed up to take me out to lunch again yesterday. I ordered kimbap, which can very loosely be described as Korean sushi. I say loosely because the fillings are completely different. The only similarity is the seaweed wrap and the rice. I have made this dish at home several times not only because I like it, but also because it happens to be one of the most easily replicated Korean dishes. My kimbap had a filling of rice, veggies, beef and some unidentified meat product (I pulled those bits out with my chop sticks). I thought the side dish with the yellow pickled vegetable (I think it was some kind of radish) was very pretty.



I had to wait until later in the afternoon to go for a walk due to rain. It finally let up and I headed down to the river, but took a side trip through some more markets on my way. These are Korean sweets, made with rice. This is one street food I know I can safely eat, and this was not my first purchase. Rebekah is right - they are best eaten after being frozen. Aren't they pretty?



We met with another one of Rebekah's South African friends for dinner. This is Jjimbak, a sort of chicken stew. Let me tell you, this is seriously good food! If you ever get a chance to try it please do. The chicken is in pieces, with the bone still attached, and has been stewed for hours so is "fall off the bone" tender. It is cooked with carrots and potatoes in a yummy sauce which also has glass noodles in it.




Here's today's random collage of the day.

Top left to right clockwise: pots of charcoal outside a restaurant; mushrooms; three moms out for a walk; a dumpling stall

Now I think I better go, before the Moonies decide to convert me.

5 comments:

  1. What a coincidence of timing, Rev Moon's funeral! I guess this was the only time you've dealt with anything about it.....and you're killing me with all these great pictures of food. Tonight I went out for Korean food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried real Korean food--just the hot food bar variety. I need to ask one of my friends here for a restaurant recommendation because it sounds great. A Moonie once handed me a book as I exited a subway station in DC. Then he asked for money. Since I declined, he wanted the book back. I declined that request too. I was nice about it, just not cooperative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I've not been commenting Kristie, though I have been reading along on Bloglines.

    What an adventure! But you're a braver woman than I when it comes to accommodation!

    Gelato? Or did the Moonies put you off!

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol at bumping into Moonies!! Your posts are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your photo collages, looks like everyone is happy to pose

    ReplyDelete