Monday, September 10, 2012

Uiam Rock

I'll say one good thing about the Love Motel situation. It has given me the courage to go exploring the streets of Guri on my own. Faced with the choice of either sitting in that sketchy room or taking the chance of getting hopelessly lost it's a no-brainer. Being lost has never had so much appeal!

Here is today's random collage.


Top left to right: The Croc Shop; A store selling hanboks, (traditional Korean dresses); soap stuck on a post ; getting the evil eye from a street vendor for daring to take a picture

After lunch Anton and I took the train to Dobong Park and did the 2.4 kilometer hike up to Uiam Rock. Here are some scenes from the start of the hike.


Most of the hike was through a forested area. The first part was a gentle incline, but it got fairly steep for the final half kilometer.


The bottom part of the hike wound its way beside a river. It was sprinkled with hikers, their blankets and food set out beside them. It looked very inviting! I am not used to the humidity here, and it was a hot day.



The view when we got to the top was spectacular. One thing that surprised me the first time I came to Korea was how hilly and mountainous the country is. Here I am, almost to the top.



The rock formations were striking, randomly sprinkled amongst the mountains.



One thing I hadn't understood before going on this hike was why there are so many outdoor stores here. These are expensive stores selling high end clothing and gear. Now I get it. I think Anton and I were the only hikers who didn't have special shirts, vests, pants, and hiking poles. I loved this guy. At this point on the trail you had to grab a rope and pull yourself up. It was very steep and a bit tricky, but that didn't stop him from talking on his cell phone as he hoisted himself up.



I am writing this blog post on my iPad while sitting in a coffee shop that has wi-fi. It is only a couple blocks from the roach motel, so I have a feeling they will be getting a lot of my business over the next two weeks. They have 10 different flavors of gelato, so I should be able to sample every flavour before I leave. It will be my gift to myself for being such a good sport. By the way, have I mentioned yet that my motel is next to a brothel?

4 comments:

  1. Love how adventure-minded you are! Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mistakenly thought the hotel was a brothel, but I see my error. A brothel has employees and the folks at the hotel are independent contractors. Completely different situations (for tax purposes). :)

    Korea is a beautiful country. Thank you for sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How odd that they don't have normal hotels/motels in the area you are! Glad you have found some positives to your roach-motel stay. Looks like you are having an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete