Monday, October 1, 2012

Bumpy Landing

While I was away, other than the plane ride, I hardly touched my knitting. This was partly because I was so busy, but I think it also had something to do with the fact that a holiday is a relatively stress-free time, and one of the times I knit the most is when I am stressed. I also knit when I am happy, or just have some spare moments in the day, but the biggy, the thing that drives me to the needles above all others, is the need to knit out my worries. I anticipate a fair amount of knitting will get done this week.

Alexandra was scheduled to have surgery later in October to repair the hole left from when she had a feeding tube. The surgery got pushed ahead to today, and she will be in the hospital until at least Thursday recovering. Worrying plus waiting time should equate to at least one pair of socks being finished before the week is over.

While I was away our family was subjected to another one of the "appliance benders" we go on every so often. The first thing to break was the dishwasher. It actually died before I left, but didn't get sorted out until well into my time away. It took the repairman four house calls to diagnose the problem, which turned out to be the same thing that had broken the last time it died. While waiting for it to get fixed the ice cube maker stopped working. Then the lawnmower died. The good news here was the ice cube maker mysteriously started working again. The bad news was the lawn mower didn't, and had to go to the repair shop. If I had been home to experience all this breakage first-hand I am sure way more knitting would have happened. Given the circumstances, I am happy to have missed out on that extra knitting time.

This past weekend was the big move from Calgary to Victoria for Karsten and Diana. They were scheduled to stay at our house on their way, and I was really looking forward to seeing both of them. Then on Friday Karsten called to say there had been a change of plans. Diana had a family medical emergency and needed to fly back to Montreal. This left Karsten to load up their vehicle, complete with their two cats, and drive here on his own.

Karsten's two cats and our cat Emily hated each other from the second they met. Emily was hissing, Karsten's cats were hissing, and it deteriorated from there. This proved to be unfortunate for Karsten, who got caught in the middle of one of Emily's rages. The cat hooked a claw deep into Karsten's finger, and at that point Karsten was also in a rage. (Have I mentioned that I've gotten quite a bit of knitting done since getting home from Korea?)

By the next morning, as he had rightly predicted the night before, his finger was infected. He is now on antibiotics. He was in better humour about the whole thing by this morning, and so I thought it was safe to make the observation that it seemed auspicious to me to be heading out to start his career as an infectious disease physician on antibiotics for a cat scratch. Judging from his reaction I think his humour needs to improve a bit more before he sees it from that angle.

I won't go into any of the other things that have helped these latest pair of socks fly off my needles. Suffice it to say I am really hoping the knitting production goes down markedly next week. Not because I don't love knitting. I do. I just would like the production to drop to the level it is at when my life setting is at "normal." These are knit with Simply Socks Poste Yarn, colourway Sedona Sunset.



Sorry for such a disjointed post, but this is what comes out when waiting for someone to get out of surgery. And now it is back to knitting...And waiting...

28 comments:

  1. Love the socks! I hope all went well with Alexandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really happy with the Post yarn. It is my second pair of socks using it. I will keep you posted on how Alexandra is doing.

      Delete
  2. Your socks are beautiful. It's wonderful that you can turn your stress/anxiety into something so beautiful and useful ... that's the secret of knitting for me. Knitting has gotten me through some awful times in the last couple years, and being the Pollyanna of sorts, it pleases me to look in my closet or sock drawer to see the loveliness I created despite my anxieties and pain.

    Still ... I hope your knitting slows down soon. ;-) Fingers crossed the rest of the week goes well for cats and humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the same for many knitters. It helps us over the rough patches in life. I think it is probably true for anyone who has a craft or hobby they love. And I'm like you - I get a lot of joy out of seeing all those colourful socks in my baskets on my dresser.

      Delete
  3. those socks are beautiful! it's nice to see such a beautiful outlet for stress.

    here's hoping things get less hectic in the near future for you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britney - I am hoping next week is much calmer than this one!

      Delete
  4. Hope all goes well.

    Happy to hear Victoria worked out -- maybe we'll get our meet-up yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll definitely get that meet-up! How far away are you from Victoria? (My ignorance of the Island is showing up here!)

      Delete
    2. It's a 3.5 hour drive, but I have friends and family down there so drive down quite regularly. As long as it's not a terrible stormy winter day, I'm up for the drive!

      Delete
    3. Great! I would be happy to drive up to your home, but the thing is when I go visit them I will leave my vehicle at my friend's home in Ladner and walk on the ferry. Much, much cheaper!

      Delete
  5. These are gorgeous socks, although I am sorry to hear what has caused all this knitting time. I hope Alexandra has a speedy recovery and that life settles down for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sarah. I am writing this Tuesday morning and so far Alexandra is doing well post-surgery. Once I know she is okay my worry level will drop dramatically. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about all those problems... but those socks...look so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second pair of Poste yarn socks, and they have both had amazingly bright, vivid colours. I will definitely be buying more of it to knit with!

      Delete
  8. Great socks, such a shame to come back from your lovely holiday to all that stress, hope all goes well with the surgery and recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is doing really well today. She even had me bring her a coffee from Starbucks, which is a sure sign of recovery!

      Delete
  9. Ruth in ElginON (formerly Ottawa)October 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

    While browsing a website selling t-shirts with humourous slogans, my husband saw one that said something like "normal is a setting on a dryer". Words to live by! We're into our 6th week of living out of boxes and suitcases while waiting for our new house to be finished and right now I feel that a normal life is a very elusive commodity. Luckily I brought lots of desert island knitting with me to our temporary rented place...lots and lots of sock yarn. Best wishes to Alexandra for a quick recovery, and may we all find a semblance of normalcy for Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want that t-shirt! :-)

      Living out of boxes can get very old, very fast. I hope your new house is finished soon, and that you get to unpack those boxes and settle in before Christmas! We once lived in our tent trailer for a summer while our house was being built. It definitely made me appreciate the house more once we finally got moved in!

      Delete
    2. The shirt is on the signals.com website ("Normal is just a setting on the dryer"). There are tons of other hilarious ones; it's good site for a therapeutic chuckle or two. We're supposed to be able to move in next week...if I live that long...am longing to fire up the Aga!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I will have a look at that site tonight. I could use comic relief!

      Delete
  10. That young lady has been through so much. I hope the surgery went well and that she recovers quickly.

    Oh, the memories of helping my dad work on appliances...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Rick, she has been through a lot. The surgery went very well, and hopefully she will be home Thursday.

      If you want to brush up on any of those skills you learned helping your dad you are welcome to come visit our house. There is no shortage of appliances to practice on, that's for sure. :-)

      Delete
  11. So as I read this you should be expecting Alexandra home tomorrow? I do hope so.

    If you do have to knit your way through the stressful times what better reward than these beautiful socks! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she should be home tomorrow. It will be nice to have this whole thing over with. :-)

      Delete
  12. I hope all went well on the surgery. The socks are just lovely. I really like the colors and the setting you choose to photograph them in is the perfect complement for those colors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, all went well with the surgery. She comes home tomorrow!

      Delete
  13. Hoping Alexandra is recovering well from her surgery. That would be stressful for both of you! Love the sock colors! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Aren't those the greatest colours? I never would have thought of putting those colours together myself, but it works!

      Delete