Friday, October 12, 2012

Fergus Friday, October 12, 2012

Before I went on my trip to Korea I would frequently have people express surprise when I told them Fergus had been to puppy training. To be honest I found these observations to be offensive. Well, since returning I have to admit I have joined the surprised camp. Seriously, this puppy has gone feral, and worse yet, I think he has taken Jenny with him. Do not be deceived by these seemingly innocent puppy faces.



It reminds me of when Rebekah was three years old and we left her with my parents for a few days while we went to Vancouver. I'm not sure whose child we picked up from my parents' farm, but it most certainly wasn't my sweet little daughter! She had my parents so under her control that when she wanted a drink of water her grandma was the one who was allowed to fill the glass, but she insisted the water be delivered to Her Royal Highness by her grandpa. True story. The good news is Rebekah grew up to be a lovely young woman, and is now completely capable of getting her own drinks. This gives me great hope for Fergus.

This picture is also misleading. It gives the appearance that Fergus and Emily are friends. They aren't. Fergus is sitting on the steps to keep Emily from being able to go into the kitchen.




This picture might look like our three pets enjoying each other's company. Again, this would be misleading.



Emily is waiting for someone to open the door and let her through to the basement - a place she is safe from canines. The dogs are waiting for her to make her move. As soon as she does Fergus and Jenny become The Hounds of Hell.



Emily can be quite nasty when the dogs gang up on her. You can see her paw raised, ready to strike if Fergus gets too close. Poor Emily. I'm sure she was wondering why this human was taking pictures instead of opening the door so she could escape from these ridiculous dogs.



Finally, Fergus and his accomplice Jenny have turned into the neighbourhood busybodies. They spend hours looking out this window. Fergus seems to have a goal of barking at every school child who walks by our house.


In spite of his antics, or maybe because of them, I really missed Fergus while I was away. Judging by his reaction when I got home, I think the feeling was mutual.

11 comments:

  1. lol, its lucky he is so cute. A bit like my daughter who has recently become very feral as well - the water story seems like something she would try too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daughter is about the same age Rebekah was when the water incident happened, too. :-)

      Delete
  2. I hope Emily has her front claws so she can effectively make her point when the doggies come a calling. :)

    Fergus will probably give up his scoundrel ways by the time he's 4 or 5 (or 10). But in the meantime he'll be a lot of fun--and oh so cute, unlike my oldest niece. Haha! She used to spend two weeks at my parents house every summer so we could work on improving her behavior. We had short-term success, but it unraveled when she returned to my sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Emily has her front claws, as my oldest son Karsten can attest to. They are the same claws she dug into him when he was here a couple weeks ago, which resulted in him having to go on antibiotics for an infection. Now that I think about it, maybe all of our animals have gone feral! :-)

      Delete
  3. They all look like they're plotting....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! But the question is what are they plotting? :-)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Fergus! I am not a dog person, BUT if I was, I have always wanted a West Highland White. And my oldest brother (RIP) owned several "hot dogs" and I enjoyed going over and visiting with them.

    Now, on to that BEAUTIFUL feline! I have TWO Russian Blue girls (sisters) and they look like your Emily. Even when I am gone one night my girls mope around till I return.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should give dog ownership a try! :-) We got our cat through the SPCA so we aren't sure about the breed, but she does look like a Russian Blue. If she was a few years younger she would give Fergus and Jenny a run for their money. As it is, she mostly tries to stay out of their way unless she is feeling extra energetic.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's funny! I'm sure the cat doesn't think so, though! Your dogs are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Emily has no sense of humour. No whatsoever!

      Delete
  6. Missed this! They do make a very cute pair, but it's not a big stretch to imagine them as partners in crime!

    I have a really close bond with one of the whippets, I really would hate to go away and not be able to take him with me.

    ReplyDelete