Saturday, October 6, 2012

Kimchi, Weck Jars, and a Hedgehog

Last weekend when Karsten was here he got to meet Percy, Alexandra's hedgehog. I think Karsten was more impressed than Percy, who made horrible hissing sounds throughout the meet-up. Or maybe that was actually me making the horrible hissing sounds when I walked into the kitchen and saw this. This is when bleach becomes your best friend.




I have been going through Korea withdrawal, missing both Rebekah and the food. In an attempt to help cure that condition I made a batch of kimchi last week. I didn't hold out much hope of it being edible. I have tried making it in the past, with the finished product tasting like a salt mine. This time I found this recipe, carefully read through the reviews and tips, and took extra care when rinsing the cabbage. The result is amazing! Better yet, last week when I was out in Sorrento (the one in BC, not Italy) visiting my friend Cindy she showed me the jars she had just bought. I couldn't believe it when she pulled the Weck Jars out of her cupboard! I have been wanting some of these jars forever, and it turned out a local store was carrying them. The large one is perfect for storing kimchi.




I bought several smaller jars, too. If you saw these jars in person you would understand why. They are beautiful.




In other news, Alexandra is home and doing well. Percy was especially glad to see her. He hates me, and did that hissing thing every time I gave him food and water. I think he is still holding a grudge about the little episode with him being on my kitchen counter.

14 comments:

  1. Here's the funny thing...I was researching weck jars and went to their fb page. Imagine my surprise when your smiling face greeted me. Where did you get those jars locally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them in Salmon Arm at Buckerfields. They have a fairly good selection, but don't carry every size.

      Delete
  2. O.K. Now I want some Weck jars, which I did not previously know existed. I have had a hedgehog (or at least the children did once), which I don't care to repeat. He was kind of fun to look at but not exactly cuddly, if you know what I mean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am laughing because your comment about the Weck Jars is almost exactly what I wrote in the comment section of the blog where I first heard about them! :-)

      The weird thing about the hedgehog is he will let Alexandra hold him, and he never makes that awful noise at her.

      Delete
  3. That's great news about Alexandra, I'm sure Percy had lots of company welcoming her home.

    I want to like cabbage dishes, but so far it hasn't happened. Someday! My wife is fan of Weck (and Fireking, and, and, and,...). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried kimchi? Not the kind you can buy in a container at the store. I mean really good kimchi. You might find it the exception to your no cabbage rule. And what is Fireking? I am off to Google to check this out!

      Delete
    2. Happy Thanksgiving, Kristie! I hope you and the family have a great time.

      I've only had what I call "salad bar" kimchi. I'll have to try a better version. I think Fireking was one of the original makers of pyrex-type cookware. She likes LOTS of glassware items, some of which she sells on eBay. Green dishes called jadeite are her current obsession.

      Delete
  4. Keeping hedgehogs as pets seems to be an entirely North American thing. Aren't they a bit too prickly to interact with meaningfully.

    Small white dogs and small long dogs on the other hand are very popular (this is a heavy hint that I need more pics ;) )

    I do hope the Kimchi eased some of the Rebekah/Korea withdrawal x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Hedgehogs as pets is a North American thing. If we had them in the wild like you do we probably wouldn't feel the need to take them into our homes! The funny thing is, when a hedgehog knows someone and trusts them they can hold it without getting poked. Alexandra holds Percy all the time. I, on the other hand, would only pick him up if I was wearing my gardening gloves!

      There will be another Fergus Friday post in a week or two. Because I was gone for most of September I don't have many current pictures of Fergus and Jenny, but I am working on it.

      The kimchi helps a bit. :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm thinking kimchi is an acquired taste, much like sauerkraut. Those jars do look lovely, though. The closing mechanism is intriguing. I'm with you. I wouldn't want to see a hedgehog on my kitchen counter, although I've certainly had cats up there over the years. That's when spray cleaners come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimchi is an acquired taste, and in many ways is a spicy version of sauerkraut. The glass lids for the Weck jars have two clamps that pop on to hold them down. There are also rubber rings that can go between the jar and lid if you want to can in them. The plastic lids are handy for the jars that get opened and stored in the fridge - a bit faster to get on and off than the glass lids, but not nearly as pretty.

      Delete
  6. I am now the proud owner of some weck jars after a trip to SA. Can't wait to fill them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great? You're lucky there were any left for you after my buying spree there last week! :-)

      Delete
  7. That looks so good! I've wanted to try making kimchi, but I'm too chicken.

    ReplyDelete