Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Socktober, the Very Best Month

It has been an amazing October so far. Day after day of clear blue skies have made it seem like summer is still trying to hang on, in spite of the fact we are already a couple of weeks into fall. This past weekend was Canadian Thanksgiving and I can't ever remember a Thanksgiving where it was so warm you could sit out on the back deck enjoying a good book. (Well, maybe not that great of a book, but I will save that for another blog post.)

It was a very strange holiday here at the Hammond house. Usually the house is full of people and food and laughter. This year there was an unwelcome silence. The only one of my kids home was Alexandra, and she had to work (this in spite of the fact the surgeon told her not to go back to work yet!). In a fit of self-pity I made a batch of gluten-free pumpkin scones and indulged, with my Autumn Korknisse keeping me company. The only good thing I have to say about this is at least I didn't have to share my scones.



This good weather is only supposed to last another few days, and I have to admit I am sort of glad. Every year I make myself wait until the cooler October days before I start wearing my hand knit wool socks again. It might sound lame, but I look forward to the first day I get to put on my wool socks the way some people look forward to Christmas. This year there are several new pairs waiting in my wool chest, ready to be pulled out and put into action.




In addition to getting in some reading and knitting over the long weekend I also managed to rip out most of my garden. My carrots, parsnips and kale are still going strong, but the rest was a sad, sorry tangle of half-dead plants. It is a relief to look out and see the garden boxes cleared out, ready for next spring and hopefully a more productive year than this past one was. I cut the parsley that was left and dehydrated it. It will be nice to add to soups and stews this fall.




I love the "tucked in" feeling I get in October. Knowing that the yard and garden have been put to rest for the winter, getting out hand knit sweaters, hats, socks and mitts, reading in front of the fireplace, dinner cooking in the slow cooker, filling the house with good smells - these are just some of the things that make October the best month of the year!

19 comments:

  1. I'm still getting the garden to bed, and I know my good weather countdown has begun! It was an unusually warm Thanksgiving for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to keep telling myself as I ripped the garden out that the good weather wouldn't last. But a part of me had a hard time believing it. It feels like the end of August instead of early October! Hopefully you get your garden to bed before the fall rains start!

      Delete
  2. We are also enjoying clear, sunny weather in the UK. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You deserve every ounce of sunshine you get over there! It sounds like you had an awful summer in terms of the weather. :-)

      Delete
  3. I know that "tucked-in" feeling and hope to experience it again one day. I am alas still in "scramble" mode, rooting through the last of the cartons and fighting fires as they erupt. I look forward to sitting down in my neat and tidy living room with a wood fire and knitting, halo firmly in place. I am not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get there eventually! And once you do, you will appreciate it all the more. Are you moved into your new home yet, or still in the process of building?

      Delete
    2. Oh Kristie, you must have me confused with someone organised! We're renting near Bordeaux until our house in the greater Paris area has sold. That's why I have so little inclination to unpack and nest... There is another move in our (hopefully) near future. We are loathe to start househunting until there is an offer on the table but it could be so much worse... at least we don't have a bridging loan!

      Delete
  4. I love your photo of the socks on the washing line, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was tempted to hang up all of my socks, but then thought that might be too confronting (I have a sock knitting habit). I decided to just go with the new ones. :-)

      Delete
  5. It's sad when your garden is dying. But at least you get to enjoy some herbs over the winter. Love the colorful socks on the clothes line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sort of sad, but I find that by the end of September i have mostly lost my enthusiasm for gardening and am ready for a break. My mind is more on wool than vegetables by the time October rolls around!

      Delete
  6. I still need to put my garden to bed, it really has been a dismal year produce wise, lets hope next year will be better. I actually enjoy getting out the boots and woolly tights, something very comforting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost everyone I know had a dismal garden this year. Let's all hope for better growing conditions next year! Enjoy your boots and wooly tights!

      Delete
  7. We're having mostly good weather this month. A few days have been colder than usual--my regular cotton socks weren't warm enough.

    I hope all the kids (except Rebekah) will be home for Christmas. They can't miss both holidays! Our tradition was to spend Thanksgiving with my wife's family and Christmas with mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plans for Christmas are still up in the air at the moment. The one thing I know for sure is that you are right - Rebekah won't be here. The funny thing is Anton might be though. He is coming back to his job at UBC in November and probably won't be back to visit Rebekah until January. We'll see if he is brave enough to come for a visit without her. :-)

      Delete
  8. I love the socks! I am not a sock knitter...but I do have a couple of pairs, and the hubby has one.....when I (we) wear them, we LOVE them.....I must get into the habit of taking a sock with me wherever I go....to knit a round here and there....and make more socks! I really want a line of socks..........so envious LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are envious of my socks and I am envious of all your beautiful colourwork sweaters and hats! :-)

      Even if you aren't a sock knitting addict like me, they are a great project to have for when you are out and about. There are so any fun yarns to knit them in, too!

      Delete
  9. Oh, those pumpkin scones look great. I love your socks on the line and the Korknisse are too cute. I've wanted to knit some similar for awhile now and have the pattern but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm holding out for some blizzards this winter that will keep me snowbound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Korknisse are a lot of fun to make, and they are a great way to use up leftover yarn!

      Delete