Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Fair Day

Today was the 2012 Kamloops Writers Fair and I was a very reluctant attendee. My reluctance had nothing to do with the scheduled workshops and guest speakers.  My problem is I have a hard time sitting still for long periods of time, no matter how good the presentations are.

It turned out to be a great day in spite of my misgivings. The morning workshop was my favourite. It was done by a literary agent, Carolyn Swayze, from White Rock. She was engaging and informative, but she wasn't the only thing that held my attention during her talk. This lady was sitting in front of me and I could not take my eyes off her sweater.




As a knitter all I can say is if I showed you pictures of something like this I had made you would assume Fergus had sunk his teeth into it. Wondering if this was a new fashion statement (sort of like those awful distressed jeans) I decided to Google it. The answer is yes, and there are even instructions for do-it-yourself distressing. Which I find distressing.

Lunch was provided, but unfortunately the only gluten-free item was a quinoa salad and I am allergic to quinoa. So I walked over to my favourite coffee shop and bought a gluten-free muffin. It turned out to be a good thing since it got me moving and took me by this picturesque church in downtown Kamloops. I love the fall colours!




The fair was being held in the old courthouse building, and it looked very pretty too with the leaves sprinkled around the front.




My entertainment for the afternoon session was this gentleman. I think anyone wearing yellow corduroy pants and loafers should automatically get his book published, don't you?



The best moment of the whole day happened as soon as I arrived. A lovely lady from a memoir workshop I had attended last year was there. When she saw me she exclaimed, "You're the girl from the memoir class!" I laughed and said it was sweet of her to call me a girl but I am 55, and she commented on how young I look. (Did I mention she is my new best friend?) Her comment helped cancel out the emotional damage from the last three trips to Nature's Fare when they have asked me if I qualify for the senior's discount.

13 comments:

  1. Ooo, I really dislike the distressed sweater look. It hurts my eyes (and heart) to look at that. And agree with you on the cords and leather loafers; a good look for a writer. Was he wearing a tweed blazer or at least a natty tie? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't have a tweed blazer (that would have been perfect!) but he did have on a sweater vest. :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about that deleted comment. Funny how you only notice typos AFTER you hit publish! All I was going to say was I agree about those hideous sweaters...I don't like the fringe look that is quite similar, either. I must confess to owning a pair of distressed jeans though! Please don't judge me too harshly ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must not get out often enough because yesterday was the first time I had seen a distressed sweater. If it is the latest fashion trend it probably won't be the last time though. Unfortunately. And I will try not to let the fact you own a pair of distressed jeans taint my opinion of you too much. :-)

      Delete
  4. I find the distressed sweaters very, well, distressing! How could you do that to a poor innocent unsuspecting sweater? Even if it's machine made from acrylic? Horrible!

    If the man had elbow patches, I'd say he earned publication for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I sat there trying not to be judgmental but failing miserably. The gentleman had on a sweater vest which I thought was just about as good as a tweed jacket or elbow patches. He was quite sweet.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Kamloops sure has some awesome old buildings, doesn't it?
    Are you going to tell us more about the Writers' Workshop. What did you do/learn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about getting together at Starbucks and I can tell you in person?

      Delete
  6. Going to a writer's conference/fair/seminar is on my to-do list. I'm glad you had a good time.
    Your gluten free problem sounds like my mom's. She can never eat any of the food provided when she's out because everything that they make as gluten in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my second writers fair and I have to say they have both been good experiences. They can be a bit pricey, but I think I have learned enough at each of them to justify the cost. Hopefully you can attend one sometime soon! And yes, the gluten thing is a huge problem when eating out.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, the sweater! I like to think I know a thing or two about fashion but this (thankfully) missed the radar. I think the style paired with the color makes it a complete eye-sore! Though that hasn't stopped me from scrolling up and looking at it in horror a number of times :)

    I kind of understand the gluten issue, my youngest brother (he's 6) has gluten intolerance and our whole house suddenly got swapped to gluten free substitutes, I hated it at first but my Mum makes her own bread and I make gluten free cakes regularly, and who doesn't love freshly baked bread and cakes!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that sweater weird? What you are saying about scrolling up ad looking at it several times is just the way I was at the writers fair. I would just have to look at it again, no matter how hard I tried not to.

      I would love to know your recipes for gluten free cake and bread if you want to share them or direct me to a website that has them. I am always looking for new things to bake!

      Delete